Urine soaked, stained tufted wool area rug with fabric glued on to the back

Name
Shawn Forsythe
A cleaner friend cleaned one of these. The original color is "off white". The result upon drying was a blotchy yellowing on the face yarns. He used HWE, using the same "high" pH (CRI Approved for 5th gen nylon) chemistry and process he used for the home carpet, and followed with Pet Zone for the urine staining issues. He also chose to do the work on-site.

Mind you, he called me only AFTER the rug exhibited the yellowing. Also it was after another friend of his suggested he treat the yellow with Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia mix. He performed this "remedy", and the yellowing lightened a tad.

The owner of the rug is pissed (no pun intended).

I told him that each step he took, starting with the acceptance of the cleaning job without a competent pre-inspection, was a huge mistake he compounded with every subsequent action.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
So, How are going to fix it?:hopeless:

I don't know. I told him that I was apprehensive to outline a remedy without seeing the piece first. I told him that he should dry vacuum the rug really well, and bring it on in (if he wants my further opinion). I also told him that with his level of expertise, he should have passed on the rug. He was unaware of any of the possible consequences because of the construction. It's unfortunate that even up to this point he does not know what the "values" are (the real value, and the owners perceived value). I explained that it is entirely possible that the original quote might have approached the value close enough that the limited expectations would have made restoring the rug a no-go decision.

p.s. I also told him to read Lisa Wagner's blog post on fabric backed area rugs.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
After that much negligence, the only solution is to buy it. I don't want to sound negative, but to save face on this and hopefully still retain some repeat business on this they'll have to buy a replacement.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Shawn
Was this a name brand tufted rug?
If so have your friend contact me If he has to buy the rug I might be able help him out.

A cleaner friend cleaned one of these. The original color is "off white". The result upon drying was a blotchy yellowing on the face yarns. He used HWE, using the same "high" pH (CRI Approved for 5th gen nylon) chemistry and process he used for the home carpet, and followed with Pet Zone for the urine staining issues. He also chose to do the work on-site.

Mind you, he called me only AFTER the rug exhibited the yellowing. Also it was after another friend of his suggested he treat the yellow with Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia mix. He performed this "remedy", and the yellowing lightened a tad.

The owner of the rug is pissed (no pun intended).

I told him that each step he took, starting with the acceptance of the cleaning job without a competent pre-inspection, was a huge mistake he compounded with every subsequent action.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
the value of these types of urine soaked rug is nearly Nil.... that is because no one in their right mind would want to buy a rug with a urine smell in it... Your friend has learned a valuable lesion about pre-qualifying a rug - job-- but in a court of Law he would not have to pay for the entire cost of a new rug-- some courts have awarded Zero money! how ever in the "court of Yelp"-- he can expect a bad review.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom