2nd van

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I found a van for sale with only 79K on it. It is a 1998 GMC 3500 extended. I wasn't looking for one but he is only asking $5500. Bluebook is lower but you don't see them priced this low to often.
What do you think of the price?

It would be nice to start building another van and take my time at it. Also if my van got hit I would be back in business in less than 48 hours.

Thanks

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Kinda old but the 96-02 models I thought were better than the 03 and newer.

Chris A

Name
Chris
In what way? My 98 was dog tired after 75000 miles and 4000 c.d.s. hours, my 09 has more miles and hours than that and still runs as new. I'm sure that van has plenty of life left in it if you are putting a slide in in it

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Yes I would be doing a slide in. I had a 02gmc with a p t o. 4700 hours and 79k and the engine cracked both heads and you could hear the lower end grinding away if you got close to it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Good miles for a van that old.

If its in good condition and inventory is really that hard to find, it could be a good buy for you.

I'm a cheap mofo, I'd offer him 5 and see if you can save yourself $500.00 :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
I think it is a very good choice, I have thought about extra van, but I am just a O/O but I do have a enclosed trailer with a back up unit in it, If I can get it finished. Very comforting knowing you have a back up plan.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I'm running a 95 Butler with 185000 miles and 3400 hours on machine so it's at 3000,000. 5.7 has always been a great motor.

Name
Ralph Pastorelli
My 2001 Chevy with White Magic CDS made it 141,000 miles before a major issues of the transmission and we changed the van oil every 1500 miles not 3000. I still have the van we fixed the trans and now has 178,000 when we retired it with a leaking rear main and the CDS shaft seized. I would love to sell the machine to someone who wants a rebuild project. I own a 1999 Chevy 16 ft box truck diesel with only 66,000 miles with no rust that we use all the time for dump hauls doing water jobs.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
No unit in the van. The guy was a porty guy, Hauled around 2 units and a generator. If I get this then it's machine building time or look for a used unit.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Not sure on that van but my current Ford E2 50 has 90,000 miles on it and she runs strong as an ox!

Reactions: Lars

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I might still do that. The guy is not back in town until Thursday . He is a bit high on his price according to blue book.

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
I have a 2006 Chevy. 111,000 mi. Has a CDS with 6,000 hrs.
hose Reels, shelves and fresh water tank that I'll need to sell at the end of the year.
We're still using it until we get the new rig. Any idea what you'd pay for it?
Everything works. There's a few dings in the body.

NO, I don't have pics cause I don't know how to upload them.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Would you, had you (like Willy) been perpetually wing whacked down into a hole of icy water?

penguin-slap.gif

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So the guy called me back. He left out that it has a salvage title and needs a air bag. He had to replace the radiator already. I hate dexi kill coolant. he had replaced too many things on it for 79k miles. I owned a gmc and all of my stuff lasted a lot longer. Something was missing from this story. He was already asking $1500 above full retail excellent condition for blue book for a salvage title and didn't even fix the accident damage.
I'm just going to keep saving and looking for a van and machine or a bigger machine, then put mine in a trailer.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Back
Top Bottom