Vortex 7000 UD Driving issues with the truck...low rpms

wmpoll4rd

Name
Bill Pollard
Help!!! Sometimes when on the road, starting to accelerate from a stop, my UD will display the engine light and limit the RPMs drastically... When this occurs the truck will only get up to 25-35 mph if you really play with the pedal... I've had it checked by a truck shop who was able to borrow a laptop with the diagnosis software and they found nothing.

If I come to a stop, and shut the truck off, it will correct itself and reset who knows what...

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?? The closest UD dealer is 2 hours away(@65mph:) and even if, they have never heard of a symptom like this. When the PTO is engaged extracting and what not, there is no issue....Only randomly, driving down the road...

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Your fuel tank is full of rust and clogging up the filter. When the fuel rail gets low pressure it sends the truck to limp mode. Pull the fuel filter and dump it in a bucket and look for the particles. A clogged filter gives the same symptoms.

Gene

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i spoke to bill earlier and he has a check engine light come on while the "malfunction" is occurring. On my trucks anything that would cause the truck derate or limit power would be a hard hit and would be stored in the computer and when he scanned the computer there was no trace of a code.

He took it to a diesel shop and I would hope they would of check fuel flow and fuel filters and such. Just can't imagine that they didn't but who knows.

It sounds more like a shift solenoid in the transmission but he didn't mention any codes coming from the tranny either. When the tranny on any of my trucks has an issue I get seperate tranny codes to indicate the possible issues.

wmpoll4rd

Name
Bill Pollard
Gene,
You could be on to something there...I have had the fuel system serviced completely, however there could be a foreign object floating around in the tank obstructing flow....perhaps

It's going in to a tranny shop here shortly for a good looking over, to see if they come up with anything...

Stay tuned.... :)

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The truck goes into limp mode if the rail sensor gets low fuel pressure. I'm sure there are other things that cause the problem but the most common problem is the filter is clogged. On the izuzu the tank rusts and clogs the filter. I had to have my tank sealed inside. You could see the rust in the filter when I changed it. The light would come on but nothing was stored in my case either. I would pull the filter and dump the contents into a bucket and look for debri and at least change it. If that doesn't work then you have eliminated it.

Gene

Reactions: wmpoll4rd

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I understand but he stated he took it to many shops already and can't see how they could miss such a normal checkpoint seeing as he has stated that they have gone through his fuel system already is all.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I had a low power situation one time and after spending 4k my son and I discovered the air filter was completely clogged. New filter and not a problem since, I walked over to the maintwnance manager and said hey if u guys run in to lie power situation in the future you may want to have your guys checke the air filter first thing

wmpoll4rd

Name
Bill Pollard
Sorry guys, busy chasing frozen pipes and water damage over here...

Last thursday I had the truck into a transmission shop and before they drove it they checked the fluid level....After adding 1.5 quarts they drove it and were unable to reproduce the issue. I have driven the truck on 3 different days and have had no issues...it actually feels really good. My carpet guy drove it yesterday and had no issues....

Gosh, I sure hope that is all it was...Not really thrilled with the shop that did the flush on it and left it a quart and a half shy....not sure how that could happen but, who knows...stranger things have happened

Stay tuned...hopefully we'll have it out on the road more and see if it acts up again.

Thank you all for your input, lets cross our fingers now :)

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It sounds more like a shift solenoid in the transmission but he didn't mention any codes coming from the tranny either. When the tranny on any of my trucks has an issue I get seperate tranny codes to indicate the possible issues.

I had the same issue last month. Power when cleaning but but periodically no power while driving.
so I think dealman is right with shift solenoid idea--- I think thats what we had replace...but most likely tranny issue. If Turbo problem would be full time weak power.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Keep track of how many times it's done it. The right repair shop will be able to tell you how many times the turbo acted up. Call me if you want 734 771-2312

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
That sucks. Does it go into limp mode and the light comes on. Pushing the pedal does nothing. If you pull over and turn the truck off and wait a couple of minutes will it go back to normal.

Gene

Reactions: wmpoll4rd

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'll call the number you sent me later tonight if I can remember. I have a funeral today and then church
I usually get home around 8 eastern time.
Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I got your voice mail when I called so Here's what I did to solve the identical symptoms. I have an izuzu but mine was doing the same thing. Diesel draws moisture right out of the air and because I'm in Florida the inside top of the fuel tanks start to corrode. Not on all models because some manufactures use better materials for the tanks but mine is made from steel. The rust will let loose say from a bump and temporarily block the line dropping fuel pressure. There is a sensor on the rail which causes the truck to go to limp mode. When you stop and shut off the truck the problem is gone and may not return for months. Changing the fuel filter helps but the manifold its attached to gets slowly clogged and can't be cleaned out. You can pull the fill hose off and with a flashlight look at the top of your tank and see if it's rusted. Easy to do on mine. The rust was pretty bad in my case and we had to pull the tank and get it coated. You also have to replace the manifold that the filter screws into because it has lots of little passages that just can get cleaned properly.
The check light does come on but for some reason doesn't leave a code unless the problem is so bad that turning it off doesn't fix it. At that point a tow truck is coming. Here's what I would suggest.. If you can pull your fill hose off and look inside look at the top of the tank and see if it's rusted. You can go from there. Mine started doing it at 6 months. Funny when I called the dealer and told him what it was doing he had no idea. Never heard of such a problem. They changed their minds when I showed them the proof. Suddenly it's a common problem with my model. I wish you luck if you want to talk ring time at the number on your caller id.

Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
"You're the only one who's had this problem!"

One of the first lines taught to new hires at some company complaint desks.

I believe it. I googled the rusting tank problem and izuzu has know about it for years. It usually occurs out of warranty so they don't bother to fix it. They have companies here that just coat the inside of tanks. The tank on my truck now was already ready to go and just swapped out. It's 1200 dollars for the whole thing. Unfortunately mine was out of warranty before it got really bad and I figured it out. It would happen 5 or 6 months apart and then it got so bad that it was weekly after about 2 years. I fought with them but to no avail.
Since it's not a safety issue they can't be forced to fix it.
Gene

wmpoll4rd

Name
Bill Pollard
Well...I've had my UD1400 at the dealer and after 2 days they still have no idea, nor can they communicate with the computer...They are tracing wires to find if there is a broken, disconnected, or burnt wire which could be causing the communication issues...

Stay tuned!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom