Black stripping pads

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
After going thru about 100 post I can not find the one that talks about black stripping pads.

I think someone had said that all black pads are not the same and that there was some type of
black pad that was better for stripping wax?

I'm looking for the brand or number or a link where I can get some. Thanks

F

FB7777

I'm not familiar with the surface prep pads Lee is referring to but you are correct, not all black pads are the same

3M has more than 1 version of black pads. I use 3M Hi Productivity black stripping pads. They are coarse and more aggressive

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We use a brush on first step of heavy stripping followed by a hi productivity pad from 3m.

We will never use a normal black pad because of the fact that they break down through the stripping process. The hi pro pads can be rinsed out and reused over and over again unless they become destroyed.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have a box of the 3M SPP's. I've tried them on a really challenging old finish. I'm new with them so no expert at all, but they seemed less aggressive than the black 3m pads I'm used to. Seems like maybe you should be using a tank with the SPP???? They seem to gunk up pretty quick and lose effectiveness.

I'd love to get better with VCT. The strip process is such a battle sometimes. Maybe that's the nature of VCT work or maybe I'm missing something...or maybe both???

F

FB7777

I can't comment yet on the Surface prep

Next JanSan strip job I will pick up a couple SPP to try them

I use a 1.5 IDS 17 inch machine. Heavy as all heck . And as Lockhart pointed out, the black hi productivity pads rinse easy, stay together which serves the frugal owner in me quite well

Reactions: Russ T.
Name
Lee Stockwell
Yes you should use a solution tank on your scrubber. Adds weight, and allows you to keep the pad flushed.

Mixing SPP with strong strippers sort of defeats the purpose of both. SPP is, as the name says, a "surface preparation pad" to allow the floor to be quickly refinished without the "gunkiness" pictured above.

Just did a restaurant Sunday night that we do every 7 weeks. SPP made the job go MUCH faster, and with better results. No butyl stripper at all.

Reactions: Russ T.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Yes you should use a solution tank on your scrubber. Adds weight, and allows you to keep the pad flushed.

Mixing SPP with strong strippers sort of defeats the purpose of both. SPP is, as the name says, a "surface preparation pad" to allow the floor to be quickly refinished without the "gunkiness" pictured above.

Just did a restaurant Sunday night that we do every 7 weeks. SPP made the job go MUCH faster, and with better results. No butyl stripper at all.
Hey Lee, I have a gym floor to do soon at a church that doesn't have much wax left on it. Can you give me a clue as to your process? Thanks, Kevin.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
A SPP pad was designed to prep a gym floor with Gym finish. It cleans and roughs the finish so you can recoat the floor. SPP's replaced screen disks when working on gym floors for recoating.
The SPP pads will also deep scrub or even strip acrylic finishes from VCT floors with just water as a lubricant. It works much better with a Orbital or Osculating floor machine.

If the gym floor is wood than chances are it has some type of Urethane finish on it.
I would not attempt to do that job.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I used the "Razor back" black pad last weekend and was unimpressed..

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
A SPP pad was designed to prep a gym floor with Gym finish. It cleans and roughs the finish so you can recoat the floor. SPP's replaced screen disks when working on gym floors for recoating.
The SPP pads will also deep scrub or even strip acrylic finishes from VCT floors with just water as a lubricant. It works much better with a Orbital or Osculating floor machine.

If the gym floor is wood than chances are it has some type of Urethane finish on it.
I would not attempt to do that job.
Sorry I didn't specify. It's vct. I would not touch a wood floor.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
You can use a regular black pad if there is not much finish on the floor. If the floor is just dirty and dull you might be able to scrub and recoat with a Blue pad and neutral floor cleaner.
When you "strip" a floor, make sure you get all the finish off before you apply the finish. That means hand working the baseboards and corners.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Thanks Ray, I have done a few vct's so I know about the edge work. I've contacted a pro in the area to help if we get it.

Name
Barrett Wiley
We use stripping brushes, dominator pads or 3M Hi-Pro pads. We will be moving to using brushes exclusively to strip. No buildup and one brush can last for years.

To do edge work, we use the brush to strip as much of the floor area as possible and only have do hand work in the corners with 3M Hi-pro pads under the doodle bugs.

Name
Barrett Wiley
SPP pads are good for maintenance jobs not a total restoration of a VCT floor, IMO. It will not get the finish out of the pores of the VCT. Scrub and recoats - perfect or if the floor is a dark color. We will use SPP pads.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom