Oak Floor Recoat

Mikey P

Administrator
My Aptos house wood is done...

All that work just to let dust, grit and pooling fook up the finish.

Only a floor geeek like me would notice but good lord.

Dont skimp on the most important part for cripes sakes..

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
My Aptos house wood is done...

All that work just to let dust, grit and pooling fook up the finish.

Only a floor geeek like me would notice but good lord.

Dont skimp on the most important part for cripes sakes..
I did my house in Michigan and was out talking to a neighbor and looked back at the house and the dog was looking out of the window of the room (36'x20') of the room that
just received a second coat of finish. Needed to screen and coat 3 more times to get paw prints out.

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Will it stay adhered to the old finish? That is not a real aggressive pad to prep with is it? I use Woodstar by Pioneer on some commercial accounts that is a floor finish that can be burnished and they recommend using a black pad. If I were doing a floor with conventional finish I would screen or use a 3M prep pad.
Keep us updated on how it works out, looks good thoough.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Willie, I am really struggling with a way to economically spiff up a wood floor for move-out customers and those who need the floors shiney. I could wax. But the refinishing products like Interlink Hydroforce shun anything ever waxed, and I don't want to ruin their chances for that later.
Can you advise me? For example, is it ok to use a non-wax polymer floor finish (for VCT) on wood if applied over a clean surface?

Reactions: Mikey P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Economically is the key word. I'm getting really low on the product I have used and the costs and extra work involved scare me.This is spendy, but they have other great products, don;t see this as any different, I always 175 with a red or blue pad and ultras cleaner and conditioner. A clear water mop and dry and I'm good to go. I dunno about vct products on wood though as I don't know if they would adhere and how to go about stripping them.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Economically is the key word. I'm getting really low on the product I have used and the costs and extra work involved scare me.This is spendy, but they have other great products, don;t see this as any different, I always 175 with a red or blue pad and ultras cleaner and conditioner. A clear water mop and dry and I'm good to go. I dunno about vct products on wood though as I don't know if they would adhere and how to go about stripping them.
You really don't want to use vct floor finish on a wood floor. It would look good when you are finished coating the floor but will not hold up for long.
The wood floor guys will hate you when they go in to do it properly. They have to strip the entire floor and make certain that they get it all off. The wet stripping can cause real problems.

Reactions: Old Coastie

steve_64

our bedrooms have wood floors that had been refinished by the last owner. we pulled the mauve carpet in the hallway and living room to find nice wood floors but they need finishing. i tried just buffing them but there are to many marks that wouldnt come out.

i had acquired some screens in a purchase last fall so i did a test area. it took off more than i thought it would so i stopped. i am going to tackle this when i have more time and energy. i have never done this before but have done plenty of vct so i am pretty confident i can handle this.

my janitor supply store guys have a lot of experience and told me to mop mop mop mop and mop some more once its been screened. they warned me against what mike mentioned. they said sawdust will hide between the boards and come out once the finish hits it ruining all that work.

Genny wants its shiny so im assuming we will polyurethane it when done but i havent got around to looking at products yet, it will be a couple months probably before i tackle this.

thank you Willy for posting this.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
our bedrooms have wood floors that had been refinished by the last owner. we pulled the mauve carpet in the hallway and living room to find nice wood floors but they need finishing. i tried just buffing them but there are to many marks that wouldnt come out.

i had acquired some screens in a purchase last fall so i did a test area. it took off more than i thought it would so i stopped. i am going to tackle this when i have more time and energy. i have never done this before but have done plenty of vct so i am pretty confident i can handle this.

my janitor supply store guys have a lot of experience and told me to mop mop mop mop and mop some more once its been screened. they warned me against what mike mentioned. they said sawdust will hide between the boards and come out once the finish hits it ruining all that work.

Genny wants its shiny so im assuming we will polyurethane it when done but i havent got around to looking at products yet, it will be a couple months probably before i tackle this.

thank you Willy for posting this.
Tacking the floor is what they call it.
After you screen use a damp flat mop over the floor with diluted neutral cleaner. What a few hours or the next day and do it again.
The first go around you will get the majority of the dust. The second will get the dust that was airborne after it settles to the floor.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Ray, I hear what you are saying there about the vct finish not lasting a long time. Since we can assume the maid has been swabbing with Glop-n-Blow, is there an alternative short of applying urethane?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Okay, thank you! There is a distributer in Birmingham that I will visit tomorrow. Maybe herself will let me do our livingroom floor for practice.

If it flubs and you never hear from me again, just remember my heart was good even if my skills weren't, hahaha!

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom