Do You Use Encapsulation Products For Upholstery Cleaning?

Upholstery Cleaning with "Encap Products"

• I use encap products because they are already on the truck and I have too much stuff there already

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've long been a fan of low moisture cleaning of upholstery, AKA "Dry Foam" cleaning. I also remember the days of "slinging suds" and wet vacuuming commercial upholstery like office chairs and theater seats.

Its seems that both are being somewhat resurrected with encap products, and I've had surprising results in testing some of these products against conventional upholstery shampoo.

In light of that, I have a few questions....

Please share your thoughts and experiences based on what I'm asking in this poll.

You too Jimmy

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I like encap products a lot the past few years for upholstery.

I also do extract them a lot, but I do like them for my prespray.

One of the products we have been using just seems to do a nice job and it has provided a bit of a safety factor for some materials I have come across.

It is nice to have this option

I do carry other Upholstery cleaning and prespray products (yeah....I carry a lot on my van :) ) but find I am using the encap as a prespray the most.

Mikey P

Administrator
On moisture sensative naturals, I'll use Prochem Fine Fabric shampoo if they're not filthy, an encap if they are.
On synthetics that I cant pre spray due to fear of over wetting or cleaning over wood, I'll hand scrub with an Encap and rinse with a hand tool.

Pre and post spotter too...

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I try and use an encap as my upholstery pre-spray most jobs. My two go to choices and Scots Tuff PowerMax and an Australian product called Encap Plus.

Both are film former encaps. The Encap Plus has a pH on 8.4 and is very safe. I usually spray, sxrub, dwell and rinse. Basically its HWE with encap chems.

Grant.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It foams sufficiently to make a dry foam then Danny? Do you just wet vacuum or HWE after that?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I clean in a multitude of ways & with different equipment & solutions.

Many poly's; I will encap & agitate with my Makita and bonnet and let dry.

Some I will towel off if somewhat soiled.

Others I will also extract with a small porty that are moderately/heavily soiled.

Some fabrics with Oils, I will mix Spot n Boost with my encap solution, agitate and rinse/extract.

Others with water marks or coffee stains, etc; I will add a local H2O2 product to the brew.

Others with mold get the Concrobium treatment prior to cleaning.

Those with urine are treated with Peeradicator prior to extraction cleaning.

I also add Sporicidin to some pieces along with the local brew I use mainly.

There are several other products from Vac-A-Way that I love to use, (due to Steve Smith sending me some gallon samples), but are not available down under. :-(

Basically, I clean until I can see no more soil or no more soiling transfers to a white towel.

:yoda:

Name
Danny Strickland
It foams sufficiently to make a dry foam then Danny? Do you just wet vacuum or HWE after that?

wet vac most times and use towels in others. ALWAYS use a fan to move air for faster drying. I ask the customer to dry vac a couple days later if the furniture was heavly soiled (not pissy nasty) just the standard oily soiled stuff as I'll go on the moist side of dry. ( I know that'll mess some of the hacks here up, but you can do wet low moisture)

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Personally I flood and suck almost everything. I can remember bleeding one piece but I warned her ahead of time. It bleed instantly. Ive seen it since and it turned out fine. I dried it in the sun. At My third stop We cleaned a sectional, one love seat, chaise and a chair. We used 3 gallons of prespray. Flood and suck.

Gene

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Sorry,
All I see is a mental image of

young-children-on-lawn.jpg

Laying on the encapsulation "cleaned" sofa and I can't persuade myself to do it.

With them potentially growing an extra head afterwards or something.
And me calling it "clean".

man-holding-nose.jpg

Mam, would you like your sofa clean or "clean"?

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The issue of residue on any textile should always be a concern. For those who are "encapping" office chairs, perhaps this isn't such a big deal. I can better understand cleaners' concerns when we consider "encapping" furnishings in the home.

A few of my own thoughts, which argue both sides of this issue.

1. How sure are we about the residues we leave, regardless of our method? I continually see cleaners overloading fabrics with prespray, scrubbing it in till its fairly wet, then they use their "dry tools" to extract. Think about that: They use tools designed NOT to wet out the back of a fabric to rinse out something they soaked INTO the fabric during preconditioning.

I am not feeling very good about the residues of d-limonene, butoxyethenol, surfactant, GKW, etc that is left when that's done.

2. How much residue does "encapping" leave? I did a test where I used a mist and brush technique on synthetic fiber fabric furniture, then wet vacuumed and vigorously towel dried the fabric. Afterward, I applied a water based fabric protector made for upholstery. It worked just as well as a matching area that I cleaned with a prespray and rinse method. A third area that I cleaned by using an upholstery shampoo, followed by wet vacuuming and toweling, followed by protector, showed zero water and oil resistance.

That test wasn't scientific at all, and wasn't used on absorbent natural fiber fabric. That's a test I'm going to have to do.

3. Given any choice, I'd rather rinse as much "stuff" (both soil and cleaning agent) from any fabric at any time, for a myriad of reasons. I don't see using an "encap" product as a preferred way of cleaning upholstery. I am looking at it more and more as an available method depending on circumstances. We are always forced to make "Solomon-Like" decisions when it comes to preventing browning/bleeding, getting things clean, getting them done in a reasonable amount of time, etc. What we decide in the end is a balance of economy, financial risk, and conscience.

4. "Wisdom from Mikey" Back when Haitian Cotton was a big problem (and there are still some raw cotton fabrics out there that behave very much the same), many cleaners used dry foam cleaning with a formulated Haitian Cotton shampoo to safely clean the fabric. I remember when I first came to know (though perhaps not yet love) Mikey, he said something that I have repeated in every upholstery cleaning class I have taught:

"One thing you can say about cleaning with Haitian Cotton Shampoo. You can guarantee that the fabric won't resoil......That's because once you use the stuff, the furniture will stink so badly that no one will sit on it again!"

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I remember those days of cleaning Hatian cotton. I always did it outside. I treated it with if I remember right what was supposed to be the rinse. I then rinsed with bridge point acid rinse. Didn't smell to bad after and never browned.

Gene

Dennis Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Dennis Bruders
I was lucky enough (or old enough) to have Jim Pemberton’s Father Lee teach me most of what I know about upholstery cleaning. Additionally I was honored in my past life as a distributor to have the honorable Mr. Jim Pemberton and Mr. Bill Yeadon instruct classes for me. I think that I can speak for Lee, Jim and Billy when I say that pre-inspection and pre-conditioning are still the key to successful upholstery cleaning. What applied as a cleaning technique 20 plus years ago still applies today. Always pre-test the solution you intend to use, use as little moisture as possible to achieve results, and dry as quickly as possible. I will always remember the look on cleaner’s faces when I would get up and demonstrate a “bucket and brush method” you have to be old to remember that terminology. No cleaner would believe that you could clean a heavily soiled fabric with a shampoo followed by a light acidic rinse mist, until they saw it with their own eyes. I am sure I will take some hits for suggesting such a method so don’t take my word for it, ask Bill Yeadon and Jim Pemberton.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Didn't Donny Osmond sing that song.............."That's why they call it...............SCAMPOO"

And that group Golden Earring had a song called "Scampoo love"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom