A Loss of Another Friend...Frank Kuse

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm not sure how many here knew Frank Kuse. Chris Adkins and Uncle Larry did, I'm sure.

I just learned that he passed away.

For many years he owned Dejohns, a cleaning supply distribution business in Cleveland Ohio. He also taught carpet repair and eventually sold his business and went to work, first for Hydramaster, then White Magic, and finally Jon Don in New England.

Frank was one of those people whose gruff, direct manner sometimes hid, at least initially, his heart of gold. He cared deeply for his customers and students, and this industry.

Before he went to work for the above manufacturer's, he was my "competitor", but in reality he was far more of a friend than opponent. Both of us worked with the one time association, the "UCCI" along with Ken Snow as volunteers.

Losing both of these good men has been like losing a part of myself.

Thank you Frank...you were a great man and a good friend.

F

FB7777

Sorry to hear that Jim

I met Frank at White Magic back in 2001. Showed me a Pro1200 mounted in an Isuzu Cab forward

Frank was genuine, no sales Polish on him.:icon_cool:

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Thanks for the notice Jim.

I am sorry to hear of his passing. I knew Frank for 30 years and have many fond memories of him. As Jim said, he had a very matter of fact style and was not afraid to voice his opinion.

He will be missed.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Jim, you and Lee were two of the first people I thought about when Bridget let me know of Frank's passing. We are losing way too many of our "old" friends. Lee and Frank and our old friend John Maucieri took two newbie S.O.B (sons of Bosses) in my brother and I under their wings at Tri-State Conventions at Seven Springs Ski Resort in Champion, PA in the 1980's and "showed them the ropes" of how to help carpet cleaners and sell truckmounted equipment.
When I moved to Washington while I was packing I found an old "Dejohns" pocket knife in a drawer. I mailed it to Frank and told him I likely "stole" it from his booth way back then and was returning it to him now. He called me and we had a great time reminiscing about times past and friends like you. We had one more long conversation just last year, and now I wish I had taken the time for several more.
You are so right about Frank's heart. It was golden. It is sad day here at HydraMaster. Frank was one of the original HydraMaster distributors and then worked here many years as Sales Manager. He still had many friends here in Washington.
Frank was a long time friend of mine and one whose wisdom and unique sense of humor I will miss.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jim, you and Lee were two of the first people I thought about when Bridget let me know of Frank's passing. We are losing way too many of our "old" friends. Lee and Frank and our old friend John Maucieri took two newbie S.O.B (sons of Bosses) in my brother and I under their wings at Tri-State Conventions at Seven Springs Ski Resort in Champion, PA in the 1980's and "showed them the ropes" of how to help carpet cleaners and sell truckmounted equipment.
When I moved to Washington while I was packing I found an old "Dejohns" pocket knife in a drawer. I mailed it to Frank and told him I likely "stole" it from his booth way back then and was returning it to him now. He called me and we had a great time reminiscing about times past and friends like you. We had one more long conversation just last year, and now I wish I had taken the time for several more.
You are so right about Frank's heart. It was golden. It is sad day here at HydraMaster. Frank was one of the original HydraMaster distributors and then worked here many years as Sales Manager. He still had many friends here in Washington.
Frank was a long time friend of mine and one whose wisdom and unique sense of humor I will miss.

Thank you Doyle. My words were just too poor to say it as well.

Sometimes the heart gets too much in the way

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I remember the name, but never knew him.

Chain smoker ..Kool's were his brand

Frank was one of those people whose gruff, direct manner sometimes hid, at least initially, his heart of gold.

as you might suspect, I can appreciate guys like that....:winky:
Frank was a cool dude

Thoughts and prayers for all who mourn Frank's passing

..L.T.A.

F

FB7777

The white magic demo van had the 1200 and 3 other White Magic slide in units

Frank climbed in the back of the box , lit cigarette and all, and fires up a unit :eekk:

Probably would have purchased my first gas powered truckmount from him if the .White Magic facility didn't look like such a shithole

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I met him at a few cad for California cleaning supply. Good guy. He would tell like it is.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Frank was with White Magic when I purchased CMS. He was always available to help and would call just to see how I was doing.
The last time I saw him was at Connections in Las Vegas just before WM closed up. He had his wife and his son with him at the booth. He told me he brought them so he could have someone in the booth when he needed a smoke break which was often.
Great guy will be missed

JeffC

Name
Jeff
Thanks for letting us know Jim. I wasn’t aware he passed away. I always enjoyed working with Frank when I was up teaching classes at his store. He was a wealth of knowledge and was always very helpful.

He will definitely be missed.

Jeff C

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
We bought our first Hydramaster Aquacat from Bob Langley in Maryland 1978, bought our second one in 1979 from Frank Kuse. Great guy always was there to help, sold us a lot of Chemspec formula 90 powder. No BS, what you saw is what you got. If I remember correctly his wife's name was Gloria. Sorry to hear of his passing.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I saw him shivering outside having a smoke and told him I felt bad for him. He said it was his last cigarette, he was tired of everyone giving him grief and was finally quitting. I told him if he made it a week I'd buy him a steak dinner at his choice of restaurant. Three days later I saw him shivering in the cold having a cigarette. When I mentioned the dinner he would miss, he said, "What are you talking about?" I think he intended to quit, on that particular day, at that so-cold moment, but he got over it.

Cut his stomach open demoing cutting carpet while holding it up so the students could see in a class. Used duct tape to stop the bleeding so he could do an installation that night.

I'll miss Frank too, he was one of the best.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The story of him cutting himself and duct taping it is a perfect "Frank story"

When he first started training for our school I had gotten some complaints about his "colorful" language.

I gently brought it up to him, and with his perfect "worldy innocence" he exclaimed

"You must be s****ing me! The hell I swore!"

We locked eyes for a few minutes while I pondered if he was that unaware, then he cracked up, apologized, and promised to clean up his comments...what a wit he had.

Last edited:
Reactions: doylebloss
Name
Shawn Forsythe
Frank and I traveled together on a number of occasions. We spent time working booths together while he was at White Magic. He would let me tag-along, so I would have a bonafide reason I could use for attending some conventions. One helluva guy. An absolute blast to have as a dinner partner, as he would say things to staff and waiters that I would never have the balls to utter out loud, but would want to. Really hilarious things. I first met him when he was working at Hydramaster, while I was at Steam Genie. Technically we were competitors, but I never had a better friend from one. One of the most terrifically honest people that I've had the pleasure to ever know.

RIP, Frank.

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I also heard of his passing yesterday from Eddie Williams.

As Jim P mentioned above, this did bring up some great memories, especially in the early days at Seven Springs trade shows. Jim, do you remember his custom made chocolates with his logo (DeJohns) ? (!!)

Yes, he'll be missed.

Best to all;
Ed Valentine

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
As Jim P mentioned above, this did bring up some great memories, especially in the early days at Seven Springs trade shows. Jim, do you remember his custom made chocolates with his logo (DeJohns) ? (!!

I do indeed Ed. Frank understood marketing, whether with chocolates or pocket knives, or other ways of showing appreciation and spreading his company name.

Of course his best marketing tool was that he delivered on what he promised, whether as a distributor, a factory rep, a teacher, and especially as a friend.

Reactions: doylebloss

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Sorry to hear of Frank's passing. I recall manning a booth at a few CADs where weather (or lack of promotion) kept most folks away and the reps spent the time talking to each other. Frank always had good stories to tell. He will be missed.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
I do remember the DeJohn's chocolates too. Love the stories about a good man and a good friend.

Jim, your story about the "colorful" language is awesome. I can hear him saying that!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Another good Frank story:

When he was driving the Hydramaster demo truck, he was questioned at a weigh station for a variety of nitpicking reasons, and while he was going through that, they brought a "drug dog" over to check out his truck. The dog indicated some suspicion of drugs by how it acted, and the office said:

"My dog likes you" (an inference that Frank well knew meant he thought he found something illegal)

Frank, never to be intimidated by anyone or anything said:

"I like your dog too (makes kissing sounds). "Maybe I can take it out for a nice dinner later when it gets off work!"

Of course they found nothing and let him go, but that was pure Frank in not being the least fearful of anybody or anything.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I feel sorry for many of the young guys who never got to meet some of the "legends " of our industry and Frank certainly qualified. As much as he liked his cigarettes he did finally quit about 2 years ago. I was amazed and so thankful but sounds like the damage was already done.

When is the last time you saw anyone wear Sansabelt slacks? That was Frank's standard uniform. It didn't seem to matter the occasion Sansabelt was always the right choice.

Whenever I would teach he would go buy a pound of Starbucks and have a special coffee pot just for me. I heard that Gloria is taking him back to Ohio for his burial.

Frank was special.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for reminding me about the Sansabelt slacks. I wonder if he owned a belt?

For those that didn't mean him, he had Dennis Farinas voice and a bit of the attitude of the parts he played.

But just like Bill's Starbucks recollection, you couldn't find a truer and more loyal friend.

Thank you all for the stories; it helps.

Miss you buddy

Name
Danny Strickland
Sorry to hear. I met him a couple times back in the day.

Sounds like we better get some non PC guys in his place to honor and carry on his traditions!!!

Jane Weissner

Name
trashycat
This was my Uncle Frank and my Godfather. Services will be held on Sunday at Ripepi Funeral Home. 5762 Pearl Rd., Parma, Ohio, 44129. 440-888-0800.

Uncle Frank's body will be flying in tomorrow or Friday. My Auntie Gloria will be there tomorrow. Please pay your respects if any of you can. He was a good man and a hard worker. A genuine legend.

Jane Weissner
Cave Creek, Arizona

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom