After your warranty is up on your tm what oil / filter are you using for your engine?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I just got a new engine and use the engine oil and filter from that manufacturer , but thought this to be a good question for the masses

What oil / filter are you using for your tm?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i use what the manufacturer recommeds. Just seeing what people think is better.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
The filter, we use the one(kohler) that's recommended.

Oil, as long as it's a name brand and correct weight your good. I also try to stick with same brand, Pennzoil in our case.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Shawn Forsythe
"will fit" filters are not necessarily the best choice, even if the filter media or quality is better than the OEM recommended one. There is more to suitability of an oil filter than simply the dimensions and filter media. Buying a filter that was designed for an engine of particular oil flow parameters means that it may not be appropriate for another engine with the same oil filter adapter block.

Oil filters have specified back-pressure and bypass valve specifications. The filter itself is an integral part of the flow and pressure characteristics of the engine's pressurized oil system. A specific amount of back-pressure flows the oil at the rate the engine manufacturer finds most appropriate. As well, each filter has a pressure relief valve that opens and holds a specific maximum pressure when either the oil is old, cold (viscous), or the filter paper is loaded beyond capacity. This too, ensures that engine oil pressure/flow is kept within a tolerable band. Using "will fit" substitutes will be less likely to cause problems on larger engines, due to the lower differentials in flow characteristics from one four cylinder to another, especially when such filters are made for high-production number vehicles.

I'm not saying that aftermarket filters won't work on a Truckmount engine. What I am saying is that you don't want to select a filter on dimensions, reputation, or perceived value, alone. It is important to consider the compatibility of its specifications, which a Fram, Wix, Delco, etc, crossover chart many not give when applying to a TM-style industrial near-static speed engine. If you are "hell bent" to go aftermarket, know the back-pressure of normal flow versus bypassed flow of the filter you are selecting, and the same spec of the OEM recommended filter for comparison.

Name
Todd
Wix I order them from http://www.fleetfilter.com They come in the Napa Gold box. I didn't have any problems with them on my Blazer with Briggs 18 HP. 2200 hrs and was still running strong when I traded it in.

The 7035 is for a 18 HP B&S and the 1056 is for the Kohler 20 HP

Attachments

• wix filter - 1.jpg
    wix filter - 1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
CDS, so use Baldwin or Wix filter and Mobil 1.

There are only a couple of filter manufacturers, and with some research you might be able to find who makes the one recommended for your truck mount, and how many brands that filter is sold under, or even a cross-reference. But, since the cost of a filter in the Big Scheme of Things doesn't amount to much, it may not be worth the time.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My new ford engine will get motorcraft filter. It's a ford engine so it will get a ford filter. Mobil one synthetic 5-30 is recommended for all temperatures.

Gene

Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 Oil... That's all I use. I have a twin turbo vette that is around 850 RWHP and the oil temps get up around 250 and I used it in my Yamaha R1 and my buddy has a 903 CID Sonny Leonard racing engine that cost 100k and that is what he recommends to us.. We just had the Washougal nationals here in town and I was talking to the mechanic and its a Lucas oil sponsored event.. Guess what the bottles get filled with :) Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 Oil :)

Reactions: Mikey P

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Been using Rotella T3 10w30 since new. I have a gasoline Kohler Command Pro 27
I have a remote oil filter and have been using a regular Ford filter, Fram PH8A .
Gives me an extra litre of oil in the system

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Most of the auto parts stores will have a filter. They can cross reference what you currently are using for their stock.
If you change the fluids as recommended by the manufacture you are the 1% of the cleaners.
Congratulations:clap::clap:

Reactions: DrUmM@sT3r

DrUmM@sT3r

Name
Mark Medora
Most of the auto parts stores will have a filter. They can cross reference what you currently are using for their stock.
If you change the fluids as recommended by the manufacture you are the 1% of the cleaners.
Congratulations:clap::clap:
Every 100 hrs - oil & filter synthetic 5W-30 here - every 400hrs everything else.....

Reactions: Mikey P

Able 1

Name
Keith
For my Apex - it's $20.00 bucks for the recommended & the Napa filter is like $5 bucks - working just fine for years.....
That's weird, last time I bought a Napa gold 1064 (in a pinch) it was like $11-12.. I get the kubota filters for around $9 give or take a penny..

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Nothing benefits a air-cooled engine more than an oil with a robust Zinc additive package, which is now hard to find in most oils intended for automobiles, other than in a handful of premium synthetics and racing oils, because of the harm Zinc can do to a vehicles catalytic converter.

Any oils recommended or offered by an air-cooled engine manufacturer will have addequate Zinc levels regardless of the quality of it's base stock because the manufacturers know the unique benefits of Zinc under the higher operating temps of air-cooled engines.

At high termperatures, it's the Zinc that will react to form what is referred to as a "glass-like" film protecting the hottest metal-to-metal contact areas.

Whats the ppm Zinc content of your favorite erl?

Reactions: bob vawter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom