Allergic reaction

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Hey guys I cleaned a daycare this weekend using flex with citrus and then followed it with encap ds2. Anyway I got a call from the daycare today saying a kid went home with an allergic reaction. Has anybody else ever experienced anything like this? Thanks

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
They don't really. They are looking at all options. I faxed them msds sheets on both products. I believe I have used flex with citrus there before but never ds2.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
People can be allergic to just about anything. One of girls that works here has a son with severe peanut allergies. Check with Rick but I believe tea oil is inert. ???

As far as the solutions anything is possible, but probably more likely something he ate or drank.

I'd be concerned, but not overly, just keep in contact with them. You could offer a clear water rinse but remind them you clean hundreds/thousands of carpets a year and don't have this issue come up.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Some people are actrually allergic to citrus!
I was shocked and scared when I heard this...
Hum! Are over protective mothers making kids to less durible (pussies) when we were kids? We drank water from garden hoses, rode bikes with out helmets, And the school monkey bars didnt have rubber mats under them..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Might not be your chemistry, but you can't easily rule out this combo having a negative effect on the kid either.

Anywhere kids are going to be on the carpet should not be considered a commercial environment where you can use a high-residue product. Likewise places where people with compromised immune systems are going to be, like medical offices or senior centers.

This is a situation that needs to be taken seriously to keep from losing more than just this account. While not taking responsibility for the reaction, I'd still get out there and rinse the carpet ASAP.

PS: I used to joke about chemical sensitivities until I learned more, and had more friends in the cleaning and restoration business develop them. They all think their problems are due to the chemicals they carelessly handled while working.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It does say tea tree oil can have allergenic reactions in some children but that is direct application to the skin. Diluted in the cleaning agent would have to be very minimal.

I agree rinsing would be in your best interest.

[h=3]What are the risks of taking tea tree oil?[/h]
  • Risks. Topical tea tree oil has been reported to cause allergic reactions that can be severe. Tea tree oil may also cause redness, itching, and blistering. It may aggravate burns and skin conditions like eczema. Using large quantities of tea tree oil on the skin could cause severe side effects.
  • For topical use only. Tea tree oil must never be used in the eyes or swallowed. Even in small amounts, swallowing tea tree oil could potentially cause severe reactions, including severe rash, nausea, confusion, and coma.
Given the lack of evidence about its safety, tea tree oil is not recommended for children or for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Reactions: J Scott W

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I had 1 reaction years ago, and I was using Procyon as prespray and rinse.

Could it have been all the candy he ate the day before?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Regardless of what caused it, do what Bryan said ASAP.
Rinse with a product that is DFE and Green seal certified, or maybe one of Master Blend Responsible care rinses. I think they are Hypoallergenic.

Appeasing the concerns, showing care and using certified products will help.
Even though I played one on t.v. I am not a lawyer. So if there may be legal issues consult one before you do anything.

Last edited:

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Doctor said it could have been an allergic reaction to the carpet cleaning. My guess would be the tea tree oil. This child has previous history of having very sensitive skin. I'm gonna go back in this evening and do a clear water rinse that will hopefully take care of everything.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Doctor said it could have been an allergic reaction to the carpet cleaning. My guess would be the tea tree oil. This child has previous history of having very sensitive skin. I'm gonna go back in this evening and do a clear water rinse that will hopefully take care of everything.
I have pretty sensitive skin and it's never bothered me.......and while I'm no child, I've been know to act like a baby. :icon_redface:

:biggrin:

Reactions: steve_64

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Hey Doc!

It's okay to powder down there buddy.

Used to work with this godzilla mother fooker! Every once in a while he'd be in a hurry an leave a trail. Man we used to rag on him, almost killed a few of us, lol

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Another good reason encapping isn't the best method. Can you imagine if you only tried to clean with a cotton pad.

gnee

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Anybody can get a reaction from practically any kind of product.

The main idea here is to show and demonstrate to the clients that you are responsive, that you care and that you'll take care of rinsing it quickly and thoroughly.

Most people will understand about allergies and will appreciate a quick heartfelt response. Most people are not looking to take advantage, if they do, one can always go the legal rout in which everybody loses. His goal right now, is not to vindicate the entire carpet in the U.S. from being blamed for everything under the sun.

He'll do that later.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Allergic reactions are just that........... Allergic....... Reactions.

Everyone reacts differently to different items that they may or may not be allergic to.

An allergy is a hypersensitivity disorder of the immune system

I don't think anyone on this carpet cleaning forum has ever received their certificate as a medical practitioner, let along done the extra 2-3 years to become an allergist.

Let's not all jump to conclusions because the "Doctor said it could have been an allergic reaction to the carpet cleaning".

It could also have been something completely different.

If it was my kid, I'd be getting him/her along to an Allergist to check via various tests, (there is more than one), to see what he/she is allergic to.

This will provide peace of mind for the parents as well as the kid and know what to avoid in future.

:yoda:

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Ok guys I cleaned this daycare again this passed weekend. I presprayed with Flex with citrus and then rinsed with endzone. This evening I got another email that a child developed a rash and then today after spending time on the carpet it got worse. I'm going back in tomorrow to rinse it all again but how would you handle this. What products would you use in this type of situation so that this doesn't happen again. This is the second time in as many cleanings that a child has developed a reaction after a cleaning.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We're partial to HydraMaster's Safe Clean line. We clean for a lot of people that have chemical sensitivities and have had only one person that said she had a reaction. But she wore a bubble suit when she went out, so maybe was beyond help.

If you showed up with a "green" labeled product to use as a rinse and the kid came in the next day and had no problems, you could reasonably surmise that the product you were using is the culprit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom