Anyone want to see a little mold?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We just finished up a pretty nasty mold remediation project today. It wasn't very big but it was heavy contamination. Vacant house had water intrusion that had sat unattended for sometime. That allowed mold to amplify and grow uncontrolled and got pretty bad in places.

IMG_0398_zpsn19vjmma.jpg

IMG_0400_zps02cl7tk3.jpg

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Wow! What caused the sharply defined horizontal limit? Was there vinyl or wainscoting there?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'll have to ask inthe AM Dan. My guess would one of two things. Either a horizontal 2x4 or moisture level only rose that far a tappered off to dry. I have several other photos at work and I don't believe the are as defined of an edge.

Reactions: dgardner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
yea it was bad. We also finished a large commercial mold remediation project this week. It was 10x the size but the levels were no where near as bad as this.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Then you'll like this. We also had 15 of them on a large residential fire.8,000sq/ft home, we could have put 3x it and you still wouldn't have seen two in one view. Large beautiful home.

Air scrubbers are very handy tools to have. Fire, Water, Mold, Environmental Dust control. :cool:

Reactions: Nate The Great

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Wow! What caused the sharply defined horizontal limit?
Dan I spoke with the guys and it is the drywall joint that caused it. The mold has hard time jumping the capillary break, so you get that sharp edge.

It will do it sometimes but generally stays on the bottom side of the joint.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We just follow protocol from the CIH. This job was removal of all framing that had lost structural intgrity. So it was a mix of removal & sanding. Sometimes just wire brush & sand sometimes just chemical application & HEPA vac. Whatever is in the protocol

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
These are from one of the commercial remediation jobs we recently finished up. You can see how nasty it can get when moisture gets trapped behind vinyl wall paper.

IMG_20150910_185200753_zpscbey3jiw.jpg

IMG_20150910_190824901_zpsyeq1vrkq.jpg

Reactions: dgardner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Really? Its popular with commercial buildings, hotels, etc.

The vinyl makes for easy maintenance and it really isn't a problem until it comes to water intrusion. Then since it doesn't breathe, you get some really nasty microbial activity and higher levels.

Name
Nate W.
I remember one of my pops friends gave him a wallpaper poker/roller that you'd use to dry wallpaper basically making tiny pinholes to let the moisture escape.. I've only see the tool buy never used it.. I think it rusted out from the dust and we tossed it..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I remember one of my pops friends gave him a wallpaper poker/roller that you'd use to dry wallpaper basically making tiny pinholes to let the moisture escape.. I've only see the tool buy never used it.. I think it rusted out from the dust and we tossed it..
Best place for that tool.

You perforate a wall and someone will have to slim coat it. If you make the environment dry enough, the the moisture will move to the lower vapor pressure without perforation.

Reactions: Nate The Great
Back
Top Bottom