Name
Keith
I received it on Thursday, but couldn't get to it till Friday.. Here it is:
Keith's phone 033.jpg
Keith's phone 034.jpg

Able 1

Name
Keith
Bought from a very cool O/O in Florida that is busy every day, smart guy! The truckmount has 8,400 hours on it, but it's perfect for me..;)

Able 1

Name
Keith
Just phone pics.. Pictures don't make me money, give me a wrench!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I have the forever magnet and I've only descaled once. My bypass orifice has only clogged a few times. I believe it works but not like soft water. I plan on adding a water softener to my next machine.

Gene

Reactions: Able 1

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have the forever magnet and I've only descaled once. My bypass orifice has only clogged a few times. I believe it works but not like soft water. I plan on adding a water softener to my next machine.

Gene
You may not want to use the Forever along with softened water. There would be no point in using them both and it seems to me I remember there can be problems when doing so.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
You may not want to use the Forever along with softened water. There would be no point in using them both and it seems to me I remember there can be problems when doing so.
It does seem to work as I don't have any scale problems. I know pembertons sales them and I don't believe he would if he didn't believe in them. They use them in ice makers to keep the little jets from getting clogged. I don't think they help with cleaning.

Gene

Reactions: Shane T

Able 1

Name
Keith
Change of plans I was talked into rebuilding the motor.. What do you think pistons,rings(or just rings?), valves? Any one have a service manual or know where I can get one?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
What do you think pistons,rings(or just rings?), valves?
Depends on what your long-range plans are - how long do you plan to keep?

An 8400 hour motor will probably be tired and will need a decent amount of work done. To really answer your question you need to disassemble and mic all the important parts - cylinder bores, pistons, crank journals (mains and rod journals) valvestem clearance, head and deck flatness, cam, oil pump clearances, etc.

If you want to get decent hours (many thousands) out of the rebuilt motor as a minimum you will probably have to:
  • Bore cylinders 0.5mm oversize
  • new pistons/rings
  • check/replace conrod small-end bearings
  • valve job (grind/replace valves, grind seats)
  • Check/replace valve guides as required
  • Main bearings, rod bearings
  • check or replace oil pump (I always replace - good insurance!)
  • new water pump/thermostat/radiator cap
  • all the usual maintenance stuff - plugs, belt, hoses, filters, etc.
  • complete gaskets/seals kit
And unless you want to be constantly plagued by maintanance/petty breakdowns, now is the time to proactively replace/rebuild 8400 hour parts that are guaranteed to cause you problems down the road, like rebuilding or replacing starter, alternator, carb, etc.

On the other hand, if this will be a short timer, you might do little to nothing and get another thousand or two hours out of it, who knows?

I think it's worth it to have all the disassembled parts checked for wear before making a decision - if everything is super loose then slapping new rings in it will do little to extend the life of what you already have.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom