Assisted living home

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Do you have any tips on cleaning an assisted living home? I'm looking for best day and time to do it as well as what measures you take to keep the residents safe from slip/falls.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
lightly soiled - encapuclean DS, brush pro, fans.
moderatly soiled - extraction, clean free ps, clean free rinse (no heavy surfactants to make things slippery) and lots of fans
heavy - extraction, flex powder, clean free rinse, pad with rotary 175 to pull extra moisture, lots of fans

Reactions: Wing It and Mikey P

Mike Draper

Some years ago I got an offer to clean a large nice one in our community. Some lady in the locked room area escaped and walked briskly towards my 3' high rat nest pile of hose. We had over 300' of hose out and were almost finsihed with this area. I ran as fast as I could to try and beat her to the pile. We met there at the same tims and I cought her as she basically fell on top of me screaming. The stench from her soild diaper was overpowering. I yelled for my assistant to go find help. Meanwhile the lady just screamed and screamed. Another lady would follow me around the entire time and stare me down with scowling eyes and fury. She was upset that our hoses were in the way and would constantly bump here walker into our equipment over and over and over. Nothing we could do expcet ignore it best we could.
There were to many situations like this to continue. They wouldnt let us clean at noght when they were all in bed so we discontinued cleaning. I moved into a new home 3 months ago and happen to live next to the owner of these 9 assisted living centers. He has offered all of them to me. Honestly, IMO its your quickest way to a lawsuit. Grandma trips over your hose and easily breaks a bone, her kids hear about it and 3 hours later they have an attorney saying you were negligent. To me some things just carry to much risk and tehse places are the highest. Long post, sorry.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Some years ago I got an offer to clean a large nice one in our community. Some lady in the locked room area escaped and walked briskly towards my 3' high rat nest pile of hose. We had over 300' of hose out and were almost finsihed with this area. I ran as fast as I could to try and beat her to the pile. We met there at the same tims and I cought her as she basically fell on top of me screaming. The stench from her soild diaper was overpowering. I yelled for my assistant to go find help. Meanwhile the lady just screamed and screamed. Another lady would follow me around the entire time and stare me down with scowling eyes and fury. She was upset that our hoses were in the way and would constantly bump here walker into our equipment over and over and over. Nothing we could do expcet ignore it best we could.
There were to many situations like this to continue. They wouldnt let us clean at noght when they were all in bed so we discontinued cleaning. I moved into a new home 3 months ago and happen to live next to the owner of these 9 assisted living centers. He has offered all of them to me. Honestly, IMO its your quickest way to a lawsuit. Grandma trips over your hose and easily breaks a bone, her kids hear about it and 3 hours later they have an attorney saying you were negligent. To me some things just carry to much risk and tehse places are the highest. Long post, sorry.

Encap, cimex?

Mike Draper

yeah, these places were so neglected though. I would encap one if I could, especially at night.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
could always pad cap, spray on encap, pad off excess dirt, then follow up with cimex a few days later after you vacuum the shit out if from the first pad cap.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
we do one do it at 700 pm not a lot of problems
we use truck mounts most of them in the rooms by then.

Reactions: Wing It

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just came back from doing an assisted living duplex. We Zippered one side due to accidents from he resident, the other side we OP with an Orbot. They want them dry ASAP and prefer low moisture but understood why we had to use HWE on the bad one.

We schedule them first thing of the day. A driver comes and picks them up and takes them out to school? Somewhere anyway until around 2:30.
So we may do a week of them doing two each morning.

Ya know but from the grace of god I go. Sad, just sad, it makes me realize what a lucky mother I am. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Name
Nate W.
We do 1 highrise condo... Only the lobby, conference room and dinning room... Pretty straight forward... They let us start at 8pm, some residents come through but we have 2 people on the jobs and the maintenance men are pretty good at directing the traffic flow... We start in the less traffic areas, then move to the heavy used areas, (giving the old geezers more time to get the hell out of the way)....:icon_redface:

Believe it or not, it's the nurses that are a problem.... When there late for a shift, they tend to run even though you mention not too and wet floor signs... This assisted living center also bought 4 airpaths after seeing mine and the know the benefit... They got a bunch of snail fans but love the airpaths.... I'm happy because I don't need to bring my AP's anymore...:rockon:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The elder care facilities were one of my reasons for also purchasing a Zipper Wand....

I felt I could make things dry faster with it, and make great time as well....and it has....

I also just add a few fans and boom.....dry to the touch SOMETIMES in 15 minutes with good air flow.

The assisted living facilities love the Zippers too!

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had a chain of Alzheimer's care facilities that I was doing. I would show up at dinner time and do their bedrooms while they were eating. After that they would go to their rooms and I would do the common area and the upholstery. It wasn't too hard. Just be friendly to the care takers and they will work with you to keep everyone safe.
Unfortunately I lost the account to a low baller.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark, I just bought your swivel stair wand from John at superior cleaning solutions and now you tell me I also need to buy a zipper? Seriously, thanks for the help and ideas guys.

Hehehe.....(insert evil laugh here... :biggrin: )

Ah...no....not at all.... a Zipper would be a terrible investment :stir:

But seriously congrats on the new purchase and hope it works well for you too....

I have my new stair tool in my office, waiting for it's new glide....and I have a dual jet manifold already for her :)

But seriously.....the Zipper is a huge help for us, and if it works into your budget someday, we seriously do find it a big help and comfort at these facilities...

It really helps with ease our minds with the slip and fall factor :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
John you need a Zipper. Mark is too nice to just tell you but you NEED it. :winky:

Once you get it you will wonder how you ever cleaned without it. :cool:

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Never had a need for faster dry times until now. It really does make sense for places like this that are occupied 24/7.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

CTI Courtney

Name
Courtney Rodseth
Low moisture cleaning is ideal in this instance. Less noise than an extractor and dries faster. Using Pro's Choice Brush & Bonnet and APE Cleaning Catalyst ... of course :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom