be careful dropping hoses..

Mikey P

Administrator
20141021_103512.jpg
20141021_103523.jpg

I didn't see this damn neon sign / house address when lowering hoses over a balcony..

Good thing it was a $735 job

Hopfully there will be some left over

What have you damaged recently?

Reactions: GCCLee

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
During our version of a college turn we took out a rose bush. Hose came down from third story and damn near ripped some of the bushes out. Good thing they were already scheduled to be replaced.

Reactions: Mikey P

Lars

Name
Lars
Doesn't happen to often but snapped a leg off on a already flimsy table, and torched some landscape that the machine exhaust/heat got to close too. Luckily that's all in the last couple years

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Also today..

Insurance adjuster called last week, said his client filed that we backed the AT into her front porch roof which lifted the whole thing an inch or so...$1400 to fix.

When we stopped by tonight the whole family was outside to confront us about the damage done to Granny`s porch..

I took great joy in proving then wrong with a tape measure.

Almost no apology for the waste of time.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I knocked off a small 10 inch tall vase that was on a flimsy little end table...

Of course the vase is part of this hand painted china collection done by a danish artist Bjorn Wiinblad.....so you don't just go and replace it from Macy's.

It was from the 1950's....I ended up finding a replacement...paid almost $300 for it to have it shipped from Europe...on a
$150 job.

Edit: since that happened, I cleaned for them twice. I told them both times I won't set foot in the living room until they remove all the porcelain.

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Early on in my water damage career we were restoring a 7 figure home. The job went without a hitch and without damage. That was until I started turning on equipment and made the rookie mistake of turning on the air movers first well before the dehus and not opening any windows to "burp" the humidity out of the house. I was standing in the great room taking final measurements and heard this cracking sound, and watched the drywall crack from about 3 ft from the ground all the way up their 14-16' ceiling. Apparently the vapor pressure was extremely high :eekk:. We were able to repair it but I bout crapped myself when it happened.

Carpet cleaning wise....

Soaked an ink stain with prespray and watch it go from a small dot to about foot wide. Bumped a lamp or 5 and rubbed some paint off of corners with the hoses.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Do you mean this week?

We got too close to a vinyl sided house and melted it with our exhaust. The siding was at least 20 years old and no way to match it. We had to replace the entire side of the house. That happened earlier in the summer- $1500.

I am working on one right now that is making me pull what hair I have left out. The cleaning crew missed their street and pulled onto a street where they were putting a new layer of asphalt down. They road crew had just sprayed the tack ( it's the stuff they put in between layers of asphalt to make it bond better) but hadn't blocked off the street. The crew realized they were on the wrong street and turned around in circle drive with nice stained concrete and we left tire tracks. Not only can't we get that tack off, when we tried power washing it, we took the dye off the concrete.

The topper is that the woman who's driveway we messed up is newly divorced and mad at the world. I have had multiple 20 minute long conversations with her!! When it initially happened, I had called the township road supervisor and told him what we had done. When I told him the name of the woman, he said "Oh boy, she is a pistol. Good luck dealing with her". I am calling this one into the insurance company this morning and letting them deal with it.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Custodian came to truck as we were pulling away from a church job to ask our assistance in closing a maintenance door resulting in the chunk of the tip of his thumb getting cut off! My son drove him to the hospital where they were unable to save the chunk of thumb due to his age etc. I have cleaned for said church 3-4 times since and needless to say "my friend" is not allowed near that door as "we" close it. He gets free house cleaning for life!

Mike Draper

I was cleaning a pretty trashed, older apartment a couple weeks ago and accidentally hit the door stop on the baseboard with my HOSS. literally fell right out of the baseboard. Ive been losing sleep over it.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Don from Raleigh NC...I hope you are reading this thread. Great stuff you might not learn in the classroom.

Mikeysboard is a "virtual ride along"....

Reactions: Don336 and tmdry

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
My personal nemesis-es are lamp shades.
Particularly, yet not limited to, the colored glass type.

Those and my luck pushing attitude (if one insists, it could be named laziness), that if I move the end table just.... so........ very carefully, I will not need to take it off, has proven repetitiously to diminish profits.

Some people just never learn.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
pull strings and phone cords. Worst was the executive secretary's phone. $600 to replace and I watched it in slow motion as my RX-20 grabbed the cord and slammed the phone against the wall shattering it into hundreds of pieces. When you think you can just get that last 1/2" without stopping..STOP. It isn't worth it. Bought lots of picture frames. None of that is as bad as Drilling a hole in a gas tank though.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I didn't see this damn neon sign / house address when lowering hoses over a balcony..
We carry a lightweight nylon rope to lower hose. It took several "once in a lifetime" accidents before we figured that one out.

Our most recent notewothy damage was hitting the corner of a carport roof in a condo parking lot. The trim boards on two sides fell off. The on-site handyman said it was hit at least once a month and he usually just tacked the trim back in place. Our inspection showed nails pulled out all over the structure that were thick with rust from previous damage and dry rot in the main supports.

The condo management company sent a bill for $14,000 to rebuild the structure. The management company is a good client, so we'll let the insurance company work it out.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Have only broken one item in ten years. I propped the door open with a large ceramic vase that holds umbrellas. Well the door pushed the vase over and chipped the edge. The homeowner comes running over yelling "that's a Ming dynasty vase!" After a few minutes he starts to laugh and tells me it was less than $10 at Wally world.

I did run over a customers dog one time. The girl had the dog in the car but she let it out right before I pulled away and I feel this aweful bump under my tire. The dog was actually still up walking around after that but she told me later the dog had some internal injuries. I offered to pay the vet bills, but she told me not to worry about it.

mike r

Name
Michael Ramsey
I just don't get any of this. Never scraped a baseboard, never broke anything, never left a foot deep rut in grass outside admin. offices at BMW that we had to scramble and play landscaper to fix........we're so good that our insurance company doesn't even make us pay our premiums anymore. That's right....free insurance.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I just don't get any of this. Never scraped a baseboard, never broke anything, never left a foot deep rut in grass outside admin. offices at BMW that we had to scramble and play landscaper to fix........we're so good that our insurance company doesn't even make us pay our premiums anymore. That's right....free insurance.
Wow, how long have you been in business?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
A few years back we had a guy try to open the front door wider than it should of opened and crack the glass on the brick ledge!

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Got some lamp shades last year, matching set she says. Had my insurance handle it. Never heard back from her or my insurance Ha ha

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
We use an 8 ft 4x4 carpet covered post to stretch off during installs to span as may studs as we can to insure that we aren't going to push through a wall.. There has to be studs to push off though as we learned one afternoon... a wall of drywall.. no studs! :eekk: Please send us the bill maam! (got out easy on that.. and they decided to put up some studs in that wall too!) My Brother is 6'5" and always forgets about the entrance lights with the pretty and expensive glass. He has knocked the glass off plenty of times. We joke that we should have the glass company on speed dial for him. I knocked off a family heirloom that they where suppose to move.. Thankfully for a friend and so I was able to fix that for him. (actually made it better than it was!) Dad was moving a chair we were cleaning in plant and he pulled it the wrong way, snapping off a leg... I fixed that too. :hopeless: (though I think he got mad at me because they had not been picked up yet.. can't win)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom