Blood, sweat, tears, a 175, and my porty.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Old banquet room not cleaned in decades.

Catering company renting adjoining kitchen trashing the entry way leading to kitchen.

No problem for this porty HACK

You truckmount woosies got it easy.

20150630_151606.jpg
20150603_130510.jpg

20150630_170655.jpg

20150630_172004.jpg

Luck had nothing to do wif it Taco.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Frank,

Could you have done it with a rotary extractor and perhaps save some time? Could your porty handle a Hoss or RV360?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Nice job.
I feel exhausted just knowing how much extra work you had to do to get there with the porty.
Well done.

No fooking kidding

I think it this job took 6 months off my life and shaved another eithth of an inch off my receeding hairline.

None the less, there is a certain level of satisfaction in accomplishing such a job, and a definite learning experience as I now gave the insight to know what should be done different in the next similar situation.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Frank,

Could you have done it with a rotary extractor and perhaps save some time? Could your porty handle a Hoss or RV360?

I'm honestly not sure.

Certainly I pondered it during wanding, what if any benefit a RE would offer if available in the moment, but I think its only benefit would have been a minimal extraction time benefit per square foot, with a trade off of hindered mobility and possibly faster water consumption.

My conclusion was that unless a RE was going to save me from the cumbersome process if scrubbing it with my 175, then it was not worth the hastle.

Void of buku heat and flow to drive a RE, there was no way to avoid scrubbing it.

Had to be scubbed if extracting with a porty….. No way around it.

Besides, I'm not a big fan of trying to stetch the limitations inherent in a porty with boosters and heaters and RE's, and I'm not interested in rolling the dice.

Taking my time nuking and scubbing smaller sections at a time was the obvious safest bet and a no brainer.

I have no delusions regarding the reality of the performance limitations of my equipment, and have no desire to fool myself into believing I can make it into something it us not using additional accessory components.

Boosters… heaters.. RE's......whatever… the bottom line is there was no way I would have gotten away without breaking through with my 175.

No way around it.

Reactions: Zee and Erik
J

JS41035

Awesome job! We cleaned horrible stuff with Banes for years. Truth be told that job would have required a 175 even if you had a super hot TM. A scrubber and good Chems can make up for a lot. I agree you should win the before and after pic. Because you did what most porty guys , or TM guys would not have done.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Enter the contest, you should win all three prizes

I just did, but the honest truth is that no material prizes can compare to the conclusion that has been reached as the result of countless hours of Gestalt therapy, which is that my true desire is to merely be accepted as a proffessional by Taco.

His opinion means so much to me, that I have decided to name my Porty "Richard" in his honor instead of my first choice of Agatha.

It's engraved nameplate is on its way.

I hope he likes it……. :redface:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
The tool that I feel would have made the biggest difference under these conditions was either a shower feed tank, or ideally, a Cimex machine to feed enough solution to continually treat/suspend/absorb/bond with/ the additional bulk oils/soils that were being released by agitation and introduce enough solution at that exact moment to keep it suspended for extraction.

X amount of solution can only treat and bond with so much oils/soils.... much more than one may think under such conditions, so with the volume of additional oils/soils being released during agitation, I found that unless I was producing a noticeable "foam" trail behind my 175's immediate path, results suffered.

Of course a power-sprayer can put a lot of chems down, but I found the magic was when enough chems can be actively introduced at the moment of friction/agitation/contact, which can only be achieved with an active solution feed system incorporated into whatever agitation tool is being used.

My short term solution was to have my minion lay down heavy solution directly in my 175's path with a pump sprayer.

Crude but effective given the conditions and situation.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A shower fed and tank setup for your 175 would mostly likely do what yo want without the need for the Cimex. We use our Cimex's and shower feed Flex when we run into something that bad. But its not necessary, we already have the Cimex's so we choose them.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Frank,
I think you have talked about the Oreck Orbi. There is one on CL here in Redding looks like new and comes with attachments, for 250 bucks.
Can you tell me how you liked yours?
I am looking for something kinda lightweight and came across this, this morning....Someone on here should have a solid testy as to how they do.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Frank - being that neglected I would fully expect it to wick back the first time no matter what you cleaned it with. Did it?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
The tool that I feel would have made the biggest difference under these conditions was either a shower feed tank, or ideally, a Cimex machine ...

My short term solution was to have my minion lay down heavy solution directly in my 175's path with a pump sprayer.

Crude but effective given the conditions and situation.

Minions are okay but the one-eyed ones lack depth perception. I prefer elves (although the dadgum milk-n-cookie breaks are killing production).

We use a porty just because it allows greater security at night. Did I mention stocking up on milk and cookies?

Reactions: Mikey P

J Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
Yes a tank on the rotary and a bucket heater to heat the water and you'll have as hot of water as most truckmounts to help melt that grease.
Excellent job bty

Reactions: Mikey P

kevinj6121

Name
kevin
Great job frank. I've been using 175's for years, but i wouldn't have one without a solution tank on it, plus a good carpet brush, also a pad driver. I am a porty user too. I have the Mytee M5. I have the rotovac 360i too but i wouldn't have used it on that job. I'd have done just what you did.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Frank - being that neglected I would fully expect it to wick back the first time no matter what you cleaned it with. Did it?

I was back there today and it was almost completely dry and there was no noticeable wicking, although my keen eye did notice a few small areas that would have "popped" a little better with a follow up padding, but they more than got their moneys worth, and are absolutely smitten with the results.

To be honest, the only times I have have ever had a wicking event when there was liquid/urine spills present.

I can understand how introducing additional moisture to a dried liquid that is trapped deep in the backing/padding can "reconstitute" it so the mechanics of evaporation are able to displace it and draw it to the surface, but I'm pretty confident that the only thing that lies deep at the base of the fibers is an impervious layer of impacted grudge that has been 40+ years in the making, and that would need more than a little additional residual moisture to get it moving.

Reactions: dgardner

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Or would it just take too much water?

That's a big part of it, but even with continuous water supply, it would be running WARM water at LOW flow most likely requiring additional dry passes, and it may or may not produce adequate results.

A SLOW and LOW RE is a no GO.

A RE is only as effective as the machine that is feeding it.

Do you think a RE would deliver the same magic if void of a endless supply of HOT water at high flow with buku recovery?

Might get away with it on a smaller job with lighter soil conditions, but this job required the BRUTE force of a 90lb 175.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom