Blue Jean crocking on upholstery

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I'm looking for the best product to use that will help remove color (newspaper print, cotton fabric, etc...) crocking onto upholstery. After thoroughly pre-testing, we presently have been using Prochem Upholstery Pre-spray at a very low dilution rate 50%. Spray on lightly, agitate with cotton towels, and extracting with towels . We repeat until there isn't any transfer onto the towels anymore. We then thoroughly rinse/ extract hot. We have been getting very good results.

However, we have some Chenille cushions that are very durable, (they can take the hot chop strokes after pre-cleaning without altering there appearance, but we can't get all the crocking out. they look 80% improved, but I would like to get more out.

Does anyone have a magic potion?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I wonder id one of the white cotton cleaners (containing sodium bisulfite) would help. I've tried it on some light colored cottons and it did. However, sometime nothing does.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wonder id one of the white cotton cleaners (containing sodium bisulfite) would help.
My only hesitation would be that I don't want to be responsible for a color difference. Many of those are slightly off white, not white, to use products designed to whiten on the spot or area I'd want the client to sign off first.

I always seem to get myself in trouble when I go too far trying to be the hero and then come out looking like the heel instead. :errf:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its been my experience that the inks and pigments being discussed release more readily with the use of solvent boosters than bleaches. Adding such products (like BP Citrus Solv or SS Biosolve) help, but often create more "wetting" which can slow drying and encourage the migration of ink from cushion foam or the back of the fabric.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
My only hesitation would be that I don't want to be responsible for a color difference. Many of those are slightly off white, not white, to use products designed to whiten on the spot or area I'd want the client to sign off first.

I always seem to get myself in trouble when I go too far trying to be the hero and then come out looking like the heel instead. :errf:
I agree Richard. If I do, I clean the entire sofa, not just a cushion or part of the sofa.

Jim, would you clean entire sofa, or just cushions. My experience with boosting with solvents is that at times they tend to lighten fabric.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You must clean the entire sofa. I have also seen boosting solvents create some color loss. In most cases since they are used on abused fabrics, the impression is left that they are clean and bright.

The truth of the matter is that the same chemistry that allows the cleaning formula to remove crocked dye may remove some of the dyes in the fibers as well.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
I will try some solvent based cleaners and let you know. Testing on the side of the cushion.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Chenille is a tough fabric to clean without distorting. You sure it's chenille. My least favorite fabric to clean. Never seems to get the results I want. Maybe I need lessons.

Gene

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
It is mostly synthetic, only way to tell is a burn test. There is a slight ash and I can detect a small amount of natural fiber but my best guess it is 80-90 synthetic. It does not distort or shrink.
I'm looking for the best cleaner/ solvent that can remove crocking.

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
I have used rubbing alcohol or a dry solvent with success on 'crocking'
spray on w/ a trigger sprayer, and light toweling looking for transfer.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Decorators here only use cotton. Don't believe I've seen it out of anything else. Lays right down and distorts with any agitation. Would love to see it in a synthetic.

Gene

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I love cleaning cotton chenille. I find it very easy and durable. Now I would say a viscose chenille would distort. They both smell like burnt paper on a fiber test.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Hate the rayon derivatives.

Don't overlook possible variations in the source of the "blue" stain. People try different things to re-dye, or distress, cotton jeans. The original indigo, various Rit dyes, markers, even ink (as Jim P noted).

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
If the dry crocking is fresh I like to start with isopropyl alcohol (91%). Being volatile it evaporates quickly and you don't have to worry about extracting. If that doesn't work then you up the chemistry (as per Jim P) but you also up the risk.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Billy Shakespeare

roro

Name
Ross Craig
As Lance and Bill said Isoprop first.
If that doesn't work we would then go Chemspec Dry Fabric Solv and then move on to Perco.
Used to also use Trich with a lot of success.
If that doesn't work then POG and rinse.
roro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom