Building a TM from the ground up.

Mike Draper

For many years I've wanted to build my own truckmount. Ive had all these ideas that run through my head each night and keep me awake. I always have to get up and write each idea down. Different designs, different engines, blower size and so many options. I've got a stack of more than 20 pages with designs and ideas all over them. So I decided I would finally start. I had them drafted on paper and even had a really good engineer go over the plans to see I have missed things. I just ordered the engine and will start on things after Christmas. To me this isnt about having a great TM. My judson already serves me great. Its more of a challenge kind of like building an old muscle car. My design is going to be pretty radical. Honestly, there is not another machine on the market that will look like it. I am not going into details on it, but I will post things about it as it evolves. I shoiuld be done by June and it should be a show stopper.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
From the layout of your truck and the mods you've made to your Judson you know what people want. I'm sure you can do it better than some of the entry level garage builds. It might be hard to compete with the big boys and not spend much more than they sell their units for.

Good luck!

Reactions: Papa John

Mike Draper

Yes, it is not going to be cheap. I'm not looking to produce these for others though. So no competition. It definiteley wont be put together with twine, pop cans and a china engine like some guys make. This will be top nothch in every way. With all the best components.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OEM parts off Ebay really help......One time I bought TWO brand new Roots 47's for $500.00 never opened....sealed in the factory box
I bought MOST of my brand new parts off Ebay. ......
That's why I could sell BRAND NEW
Direct Drives right under Mikeys nose for $10,000.00 or less......
Thanks Mikey....you know I love you!

Last edited:
Name
Ralph Pastorelli

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Mine were jus sitting on a loading dock...in their boxes.......
i told this story a while back...it was where i thought i was gonna be robbed in a vacant warehouse but it was ME that robbed THEM...two BRAND NEW ROOTS for fi hunnert!
Chris Lee has one of them!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Looking forward to this. I might start my 2nd build next year. Still on the fence about doing another.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
That is so awesome Mike, it is enjoyable, if you go about it like you just posted... A project, your not needing it to get shiznit done, PERFECT!! You will have fun doing it, frustration too, but when it is all said and done it will put the big fat grin on your face that's for sure.

I have to say I broke mine the other day...nothing crazy just my pulley....couldn't handle 20+ HG's dang POS. I pulled the throttle and let her rip holy crap talk about lock down.. no glide on wand...I was trying to break a swivel.....not my TM damit!!!
It didn't hurt anything so no biggie, ran out to turn her back down saw the pulley and reached down to pick it up.....Holy mother that thing was HOT.
I don't know if I hit 20 Hg on carpet that is just what it was hitting when I capped hose end. I had to throttle her up to get it there. All I know is I couldn't move wand very well at all. It was really a joke trying to work with that kinda suction is just plain stupid. Might as well go back to construction for that amount of wear on your arm and shoulder.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Lee Stockwell
Any I've seen have been on pallets, except on Ebay, the home of many krylon new blowers, complete with masking taped shafts and enough stray paperwork, perhaps from other similar units, to look somewhat new.

Sorry I'm such a skeptic.
I hope I'm wrong.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mike, as a designer of TM's , I am always thinking of new concepts to try on new models . . .

I am currently looking at some new high-performance blowers that are much lighter than current designs . . .

Wand design is another area worthy of improvements in our industry . . .

Good luck on your quest . . .

I also enjoyed your truck design . . .

Larry

Mikey P

Administrator
Direct Drives right under Mikeys nose for $10,000.00 or less......
Thanks Mikey....you know I love you!

If Draper wants to sell units here or any other dude in his garage with the exception of that dick in Texas, through the PM system on MB, thats fine aok with me.

but for the love of Mike, send me some potted wheat meat on occasion.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It might be hard to compete with the big boys and not spend much more than they sell their units for.

I agree with "Taco" (all due respects -- but THATs Funny) on this one... so I hope you are building it out of joy and pride and not to save money-- cuz I think you will spend more then buying it outright.

IMO-- I think Aerotech, Prochem's Everest 650hp, and Sapphires' SS870 have left little room for improvement and don't think their Profit margin is that great--
after all their market is full of cheap--ass carpet cleaners-- haha

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mike Draper

Im not even considering getting in the rat race of truck mount sales. I've put a lot of time into the design and have done all my homework on pricing parts, welding, powder coating, steel and fabrication. I know from experience on my truck that it will probably cost more and take more time than I think. I went over by 15k. on my truck :hopeless:. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm building this because I love to tinker and I love a challenge. Just like building an old muscle car. It will be rewarding to use it each day.:biggrin:

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I think it would be fun to build one. I bought a couple of vespas back in the 80's and never was able to rebuild them. I might get another one in the spring and finally do it.
If you like to mess with stuff, you gotta do it. It can be therapeutic.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Knowing how you are Mike, Its going to be Epic.

I too have a design ive been working on. Nothing earth shattering as I'm sure yours will be... but I think its pretty cool :)

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom