C Diff... Help for a clients

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hey everybody. Just got a call from a client of mine that has 4 condos in Lake Havasu. She just had someone who was renting came down with C Diff. Who out there can give me info I can share with her. Does she need someone special in Bio Hazard? @Scott Warrington... Any info you can also share with me?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We do that type of cleaning several times a year.

The good thing is it isn't airborne, transferred by contact. Detailed cleaning with Sporicidin wipes or Clorox wipes will work.
Reasonable PPE and focus your cleaning on anywhere the person might touch.

We will use an ATP meter and swab to ensure the cleaning was effective. Its usually not a problem as long as all high touch areas get cleaned.

Anything up high out of reach really doesn't need it unless to provide a evenly cleaned surface.

http://www.cdc.gov/hai/organisms/cdiff/Cdiff_settings.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I did send a detailed response by email. Richard covered the basics. Clean surface. Wipe with a good disinfectant that has proven effectiveness on c. diff. The wiping is as big a part as the disinfectant. Most disinfectants don't do to well with c. diff spores but wiping can remove most of the spores and the disinfectant can kill a few more.

Protecting the touch surfaces with Bactibarrier Surface protector controls any remaining spores. When you have 100,000 bacteria count even getting rid of 99.99% leaves a few behind which could grow and multiply.

Name
Rieta Ebberts
Yes, C. Diff is nothing to mess around with. It is contagious by contact with spores and is treated as a bio-hazard in hospitals. I believe bleach does take care of the problem on hard surfaces but I would certainly verify the effectiveness of random disinfectants on carpets or furniture before relying on anything.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I believe bleach does take care of the problem on hard surfaces
The problem with bleach or any disinfectant is that the recommended kill time is usually 10-15 minutes of contact time. That's easy to accomplish on vertical surfaces but even with a foaming product it can be nearly impossible to keep horizontal surface wet out. Electrostatic sprayer can help if you have one but it is still a challenge to wet without damaging some surfaces.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thank you Dan. Yes I did. :redface:

Most solutions will just not adhere to a wall for the long. So hopefully the kill factor is an exaggerated time given.
Which I assume so from ATP counts dropped from cleaning and spraying.

Name
Rieta Ebberts
My mother-in-law got C-Diff while living in an assisted living center. It's a nasty bug that loves nursing homes and places where you're apt to find sanitation issues compromised. When it was discovered that she had it, they immediately put her into isolation, and put her on a three week course of antibiotics. We had to glove, gown, and mask to visit her. Evidently, once you've had C-Diff it remains in your system and can reactivate at any time. It's especially lethal to the elderly and children so it's nothing to mess around with. Follow all cleaning/disinfecting instructions very carefully.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
That's generally where we've done that type of work. We see a little bit of everything though,. Yesterday we had a crew cleaning at a facility for ring worm and others at a facility that had a fire extinguisher go off in dining area.

Cleaning after ring worm after the vet clears the cat. Anything special. Since its a fungus peroxide should kill it. The problem I see is cats go everywhere. I'm itchy just thinking about it.

Gene

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The cleaning was at a lab kennel. Its much harder control when 60-cats are involved . Many of the surfaces were metal and peroxide doesn't react so well with metal.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
This is a house that has 3 cats. The one with it was isolated immediately and the other 2 never got it. It's in the master so we will move everything and clean then let her handle the hard surfaces. She's a clean fanatic so I know she can handle it. Heat is supposed to kill it so we will run to the limit plus peroxide everything and hope for the best. She's a long time customer and I know she won't hold me responsible.

Gene

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
If you prespray carpet with microban sanitizer cleaner, can you ethically say that the carpet has been sanitized? I understand telling the customer that a sanitizer was used, but is telling them the carpet was sanitized okay to say? If I understand correctly, sanitizing and disinfecting products have to touch the bacteria to kill it and unless the carpet is soaked to the backing you are not truly sanitizing the carpet.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The new Microban Botaniclean is supposed to have approval to claim it sanitizes soft surfaces I believe. I will have to email Richard Price and see where they are on that

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Here is what I got back "Yes, BotaniClean does have a soft surface claim and can be used on carpets, upholstery, etc. However, there is no Microban product (very few products have) with a C-Diff claim."

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thanks John. Carpet while not impossible is less likely than touch contact surfaces. However with cleaning and a application of an antimicrobial I feel fairly comfortable it would effectively processed.

Reactions: J Scott W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom