Carpet Recommendation

Name
BradFenstermaker
Have a high traffic wedding chapel asking us what to replace with?

Currently they have CGD on pad. It's ripped and 7 years old. Pews in 1000sqft room.

Any advice is welcome to pass on to her.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Latest figures show the following residential market mix:
Polyester- 45%
Nylon- 29%
Triesta- 16%
Polypropylene - 8%

The mills are pushing PET and Poly products because they are cheaper to make, and they tout the "vibrant" colors and "improved" wear quality of both due to new production processes. Yes the colors are more vibrant. NO it doesn't wear a whole lot better then the old stuff. It still packs and abrades like mad.

The Treista fiber is a good bit better on the wear front and is very stain resistant. But, it's hard to remove some oil stains and depending on if you get the silk version or not, you can be opening up a whole new can of worms with vacuuming and cleaning problems. I'd stay away from it, personally.

Everybody knows to stay away from polypropylene.

To me, the colors on nylon are fine. It the PETs are more "vibrant", I can't tell it. And the wear of nylon is MUCH better than any other fiber except wool, and who can afford wool?

Nylon and Treista are hand and hand price wise for face weight these days, so you might as well get the nylon.

Reactions: Donwand

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Most carpet glued over cushion. Is a double stick install. Very expensive. Most likely a wool. I suggest a double stick wool axminster. Done properly it would serve much more years than what said. www.cfiinstallers.com Be sure to get a master 2 is the best a c2 who has done what I explained.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
How does the carpet look? maybe suggest they have you Fix the tears and clean the carpet (cimex and extract) to save money on replacement?-- then clean at least once a year for the next 3 years ---then maybe replace.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Latest figures show the following residential market mix:
Polyester- 45%
Nylon- 29%
Triesta- 16%
Polypropylene - 8%

The mills are pushing PET and Poly products because they are cheaper to make, and they tout the "vibrant" colors and "improved" wear quality of both due to new production processes. Yes the colors are more vibrant. NO it doesn't wear a whole lot better then the old stuff. It still packs and abrades like mad.

"Improved" wear quality on polyester is one of those marketing statements that say nothing ...or say everything.

Being told you have cancer instead of Ebola could be considered to be an "improved" diagnosis too.

Don't wear a polyester suit and don't buy polyester carpet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Willy P

Name
Willy P
"Improved" wear quality on polyester is one of those marketing statements that say nothing ...or say everything.

Being told you have cancer instead of Ebola could be considered to be an "improved" diagnosis too.

Don't wear a polyester suit and don't buy polyester carpet.

So I should toss my leisure suits? But I look so dashing in them.....

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Lew Migliore's flooring newsletter last month was on this topic. Many factors to be considered including the traffic level, how will they maintain it and how often, budget, expectations.

I will be glad to email you a copy of the newsletter. I think all flooring cleaners should subscribe.
scottw@bridgewatercorp.net

Based on info above, I would consider nylon carpet tiles, make sure ones that will lay flat without a bucket of adhesive for every tile.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm sure Lew's report will be more balanced and informed than my gut response Scott; I'll look forward to getting it.

I guess I have to hold onto the fact that polyester is a decent fiber for upholstery fabrics, but from all I've seen the customer would nearly have to levitate to get decent performance out of it in a carpet.

At a time when carpet is being replaced so widely by hard surface flooring, using polyester as a carpet fiber is surely not going to help it keeps its place on peoples' floors.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Lol I we talking polyester in commercial facilities. We need to wait I Lew. I'm certified at the highest level Certified Floor Covering Installer at a Master 2 level. We to make the standards on 104 and 105 . I personally do not think Lew is at the level of Jon Namba but is well respected. Im affiliated more with the woven and pattern matching

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom