cat pissed on sofa

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I got a call from a long term client and she was babysitting a cat that proceeding to urinate on the sofa.

It is a couch with attached cushions. What is the best way to approach this and correct disclaimers to give to client.

I assume with how thick a cushion is on a couch that I will not be able to water claw it completely and I am not sure if I should even saturate it the way we would on carpet.

Mikey P

Administrator
Heavly apply your fave Deo with a quart sprayer. Stick the nozzle right into the fabric every where the urine is. Plenty of dwell time and rinse like mad.

Repeat as needed.
No guarantees.

Use a water claw on flat areas if it makes sense, other wise an uph tool with high flow.

Fiber distortion is likely.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Most any upholstery fabric that you flood will "watermark". If its a natural fiber fabric, it could bleed or brown.

Get that (and the potential of texture damage Mike mentioned) understood in writing.

Your choice of deodorizer should be one that doesn't have a strong fragrance, as it will be in closer proximity to breathing zones.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Have her send you pictures of the fabric. I agree with Mike in that you will need for your deodorizer/disinfectant/enzymes to reach the contamination. I also agree with Jim, flooding can cause secondary damage.

She is going to need to make decisions as to how far she comfortably wants to proceed. Is it so much that flooding is needed? Can the type of construction handle the more serious process?

I think you'll need to evaluate it on site, before deciding on your best approach.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
UGH, I can't stand the smell of cat urine!!!

It's not impossible that it is a newer fabric with still intact fiber protection. If that is the case, you may not need to saturate it.

Either way, as everyone has already said, make sure that you CYA and get everything in writing b-4 you start. You don't want to own a cat pee sofa!!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

CTI Courtney

Name
Courtney Rodseth
Well, no treatment is going to be effective unless you get it down to the contamination. Pro's Choice Refresh would be a good option especially if color bleed is an issue. Fiber type?? (always the first question). If it's a synthetic fiber , Pro's Choice X-Cide would also be a good option. Saturate, use hose cuff to pull out the moisture, clean, and then do a light post treatment.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It's probably not as bad as it sounds, and you should proceed in a conservative manner. Spray with an odorcide type product without soaking, at least initially. Clean as usual. That should be all that is necessary. If it's still a problem, then we go nuclear.

Name
BradFenstermaker
I wood go my acid pretreat or enzyme digester. If it was just a shot or two of Wiz it will mostly be on tne surface.
Be sure to mention if it did penetrate to stuffing they may catch a wif on really humid days.
NO GUARANTEE!
Under promise and over deliver if you can.
oh yeah charge extra because of dwell time, extra treatments and rinsing.
I have saved a couch from a feline Pissing contest. Next one I wheel drag into the yard and burn. Hand them $20 and headout.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I had a lady with a micro fiber sofa cat pissed on .. I cleaned and odor treated the shid out of it !!

2 years later I go back for some more carpet cleaning and she tells me this story about how she was semi-unhappy about the sofa results that she ended up giving the sofa to a friend. A short time later .. she notices cat piss smell on her leather furniture knowing the cat did not go again. Come to find out .. it was the throw pillows that had the cat pee - smelling up the joint. Calls her friend to find out there is no pee odor in the sofa I cleaned. She gave a way a perfectly good sofa.

She had removed the throw pillows from the scene at the time I cleaned the sofa. I water clawed the area with Spice Air without fiber distortion. I actually massaged the odor treatment in with my hands.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I've dealt with this a lot and since you can't open the cushions I would not flood it. You'll push the urine deeper. First you need to extract as much as possible. Smell and find the strongest scent and extract some more. If you add a deodorizer right away I think youll make your job harder. Depending on the volume it's a steep challenge. I usually pull the cushion and emersion clean them. I spent about 30 minutes longer than normal on the last sofa. I really like odorcide.

Gene

Mikey P

Administrator
Extract dry urine?

Do you mean run an upholstery tool ( with water spraying) over effected areas prior to applying the Deo?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Extract dry urine?

Do you mean run an upholstery tool ( with water spraying) over effected areas prior to applying the Deo?
Yes sorry. If you start by spraying the area you can possibly send the urine deeper. Start by flushing the area with just your upholstery tool. Because of the Dacron fill it usually won't be to deep but extra water can push it deeper.

Gene

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Im cleaning the same couch I've cleaned before for cat urine. This will be the 4-5 time I believe. Love those cats. I pull the cushions and immersion clean them.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom