Couch help

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
Here is a couch I think is Microfiber. I did a quick test to check for color fastness and it did not pass. With very little cleaner on a white cloth the red came right off.

How can I found out how to clean this item?

I have looked up the brand and from what I see the company is out of business.

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
Couch1.JPG
Couch2.JPG

Sorry here are the photos

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
How did you test for colorfastness, and what product did you use to do the test?

You may only have crocking. I will be away for the evening, but you can call my office tomorrow at 800-342-2297, extension 107 and I will walk you through a few things that might help you.

Reactions: J Scott W

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Provided the client will allow you, test clean an small area. Use a neutral precondition followed by an acid rinse. Let it dry and see if there is any significant color loss. I'd suggest doing that there on the decking and be careful not to drag any of the red color on to the deck material.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I used a white towel that I put some of my upholstery cleaner on.
I rubbed the bottom of one of the cushions.

It's not uncommon for some color to come off a heavily dyed fabric/colorful couch. To get a fabric that color(red lol!), it's no surprise they need to use a lot of dye.

I'm NOT saying don't be careful(test), but microfiber and other synthetics fabrics are GENERALLY pretty durable. Especially microfiber, just be careful with solvents. They can damage the glue that holds the "micro fibers". Evenly wet, evenly dry.

Mikey P

Administrator
The lemon yellows as well.

Clean it evenly and you should be fine, but get them to sign off on it.

Any areas that need lots of attention MAY get lighter.

And no, dry cleaning is not an option.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Agree that this seems to be crocking rather than bleeding. Good advice above. Jim Pemberton is the upholstery cleaning expert and can help.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
We have cleaned red movie theater seats that turned the wastewater red. The seats looked great and didn't show signs of losing color even though they did.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Like so many things, furniture manufacturer's have found ways to cheapen microfiber fabrics so that what was once a durable, low risk fabric isn't always so any longer.

My guess is that you won't notice a problem when you clean it, but short of us having a conversation about it, here are a few things I'd suggest:

1. Even though most any dark fabric will crock colors when rubbed, the fact that there is unstable dye is worth noting, and be sure to note on your work order that the presence of unstable dyes means that some areas my appear to be lighter after you finish cleaning.

2. Sometimes these loose dyes will migrate and dry with "watermarks" in areas that dry slowly. This is most common when they spill something, but it could happen when you clean it. Precondition and rinse extract evenly, and use fans when you are done.

3. I don't know the pH of your upholstery cleaner, but a lot of guys get comfortable with fairly alkaline cleaners when cleaning microfiber. In this case, the fabric doesn't appear to be abusively soiled, so you might be able to reduce the crocking with a cleaner that is closer to neutral, and perhaps follow up with an acidic rinse. That is almost never done on microfiber fabric, but if you can get it clean with milder stuff, it might control the crocking.

4. Watch where you put any loose cushions. If they are crocking color and you lay them on carpet or other fabrics, that color could transfer to those surfaces.

5. Be careful if you need to do any spotting in once specific area. If color crocks evenly all over the piece, its almost never noticed. If it comes out in one spot, they will see it clearly.

6. Bottom Line: The problem is theirs until you make it yours.

I am getting some things ready for my presentations at MFE, but will be happy to talk to you if you need more help.

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
If I'm ever unsure about cleaning upholstery I have my customers sign an Upholstery Waiver. It goes like this

Customer understands that some fabrics and other materials may be damaged by the cleaning process and authorizes XYZ to clean upholstery as indicated. Customer agrees to hold XYZ harmless from and against any claim for damages to said upholstery.

I had my lawyer put this together many years ago after I damaged and bought a couple of my customers sofas.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Some micro fibers crock like Jim said. I would clean it with a sudsy amonnia upholstery prespay, hand scrub it with a horse hair brush, rinse with a textile rinse and never let it touch anything else while drying not even walls.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom