Do you guys ever use non-potable/recycled water for CC?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Some commercial jobs make it awfully inconvenient to use "ordinary" sources that are clean-safe for drinking (here in California, anyway).

Just how prevalent is the situation where you are?

Osha regulates the labeling of non-potable sources that require that it be labeled "unsafe and is not to be used for drinking, washing, or cooking purposes", if it is so. However, some are only labeled "unsafe for drinking", only. I wonder if the labeling is usually, always, or near never correct and whether it is reliable.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Also possible minerals causing rust or other streaking problems. We do not use well water for that reason. The marks on homes and signs look awful.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I let the spigot run for 12 second the stick the end in my FW tank.

I would drink it! And I have filled it for E use during winter at the house. Sometimes they will shut the water plant down so I always have some water.

Are the extra expenditures for RO, Softening or what no really worth it?

I flat blow through some city water : )

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Shawn wouldn't that have some forms of bacteria in it?

I used to presume so. At least that is what I thought.
I had a customer call me today and ask me my opinion. He was on a commercial job, and he said that it is the only water available to him, on site. I indicated my first inclination was to say that without knowledge of the contaminants, especially pathogenic, that he should refrain from using it. He explained that the water itself had a scent of chlorine, so it was doubtful to him that pathogens were/are involved.

In the end, I advised him to contact the water district supplying the vicinity, and ask them if it is OK for cleaning purposes indoors. Since it seems that there is no universal water standards for the source, except for that of labeling (which I have no idea as to whether it is reliable).

It did get me thinking, as to how prevalent this issue really is.

Chris, I do understand the potential mineral issue, but that would be more for the CC to weigh-in to his own personal decision, as to how it would affect the equipment or detergent performance. I suppose if it came down to declining the work, it would be up to him, in this one regard.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
In Encinitas, I had a chance to see and hear how the water district chewed out a competitor's techs because they were using the "pink water".

The community management company also told that tech, that he is to never show up there again.
So yes it could cause some serious problems in some places.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
To add to my previous comment

The water district guys were saying that Even if the truckmount heats over 210F, its not good enough to be used on these carpets. They were hinting about pretty hard fines.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
We have pressurized irrigation here. The water we use on our lawn and gardens come straight from the boise river. Lots of people have hose hook ups that they can wash their cars with. You have to be careful not to hook up to one of them. I always make sure the hook up is coming out of the side of the house. That way I know it's safe.
I did however, clean a restaurant with irrigation water once. I didn't realize it until I was done. Everything seemed fine.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Locally we have "culinary" water which is the main water supply, safe for eating, drinking. Then some homes or businesses have a secondary water supply. Most often this secondary water is used for irrigation. But local water department told me it is safe for any use that does not involve human consumption. It could not be used for washing dishes, since that could relate to human consumption.

I did not specifically ask what about the water made it unsafe for human consumption. However carpet cleaning seems to me to be within the possible uses for secondary water.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd certainly have some concerns but mostly on the public relations side.

Unless it could be definitively proven that there were no harmful microorganisms being used in the cleaning of the clients carpets. Then I'd want to avoid the use of NON potable water.

You know how some people can get! I can see where this scenario would create a heightened awareness that could potentially create a headache for the cleaner.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
What about a child dropping food and then eating it. A pet laying on the carpet petting it and then putting hands in their mouth. Not for me but we have plenty of water in New Jersey.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I would not use any water placarded not for human consumption, primarily because of the liability. If someone claimed it made them sick, how would you prove otherwise? As far as I know it is not guaranteed to be safe.

The building I'm in at this moment uses such water for irrigation, but there are no hookups I could use even if I wanted to.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Water is water here.

You people are weird.

When I was a kid and mom would bring me a drink of water at bedtime, I would demand to know if it was "bathroom water" or "kitchen water". If she got it out of the bathroom sink I didn't want it. .....

Mike Draper

I dropped my toothbrush in the toilet once. It was clean water.........
Another time i asked my wife why my toothbursh taste like bubble gum. She said both of my girls had been using it. sorry to de-rail the thread

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I can imagine there be a problem but I don't ever see an opportunity to use it anyhow

Brian H

Name
Brian H
When used for lawn sprinklers, it is misted into the air and people could inhale the water vapor. Also your pets could walk on it then bring all those "bad things" inside the house. Heck just walking over it barefoot could do really bad things to you!! And forget about letting your kids play in the yard!! After all, if you think about it, fish poop in that untreated water.

I suggest that no one EVER go swimming again, except in properly treated pool water. Oh but wait there is the possibility that someone peed in the pool, so forget that too!!

That could be taken to the extreme!! Even when using that untreated water for irrigation.... The water that is used to grow crops could contaminate the actual crop.

We are all doomed!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom