Flag cleaning

Lonny

Supportive Member
I got a call today about cleaning a flag. 20x30'
Anyone ever do one of these? It sounds like a massive headache, but my initial reaction would be to clean it as a very large piece of upholstery.
Thoughts?

Lonny

Supportive Member
I do know some places traditionally offer free flag cleaning especially in July. I am assuming they are not a 700 sq foot flag however. If I had a massive dry cleaning tub that could fit that much material, no problem. If I have to clean the thing by hand with an upholstery tool, different story. If I had the time, perhaps, but as of now I am way understaffed and out till after 4 am until the end of next week, so I'd hafta pass.

Lonny

Supportive Member
Very good point, I forgot about the whole 3D concept thingy..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Big flags are made of tough stuff. You could lay it out in a parking lot and pressure wash it, or scrub and rinse, or use a floor wand. Handling the volume of fabric would be the only issue.

Al_Paulsen

I just love these weird jobs. Build a wash pit 22'x8'. Roll up flag and insert in pit 8' at a time. Agitate and transfer the soapy 8' section to be rinsed off. Attach to pole and raise as you clean to dry. Use tarps so it doesn't touch the ground. This method will prevent you from walking on it. Call all media outlets to report and film your respect for the American flag. Fun job! 2 men 8 man hrs? 1200.00 ?

Lonny

Supportive Member
I agree with cleaning it on the ground, not a great sentiment. Besides it's for the military and I'm pretty sure I may have to get all Matrix style to dodge the inevitable bullets, lol.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i understand the whole dont let it touch the ground as i wont/dont let any of my flags touch the ground, but how are ou going to clean this flag?

are you going to set up tables 30 x20 to clean it on tables tops?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Just a thought here....

If you were to find a practical way to do it respectfully, AND you were doing it for free, this could be potentially an incredible PR move if it was discretely publicized. The positive fallout may be well worth it, not even considering the satisfaction of your participation. The sheer size of it is what makes it work. I mean if were a typical flag size, nobody would take much notice.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
While it would be disrespectful to drag a flag in a parade or hang one so it will contact the ground, having one on the ground while cleaning doesnt do anything but keep the owner from having to fly a dirty flag.

The whole "don't let a flag touch the ground" thing is a myth perpetuated by my Dad, and the Boy Scouts, and me, until I learned better. You don't have to burn a flag that's touched the ground either. If it gets dirty you can toss it in the washer. Burning is just the recommended means of disposal when a flag is too soiled or worn to fly anymore.

PS: I probably wouldn't publicize my cleaning method or take pictures of the flag on the ground. The flag/ground myth is so widely believed that you'll get negative feedback. Not worth it.

Last edited:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Don't commit to this job unless you have EVERY step of the process meticulously planned out.

Sounds very challenging without some type of custom platform or support rigging.

What's it going to weigh when wet?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You're correct Bob. They're a lot lighter weight than you might think - similar to sails from 20 to 30 years ago. Very easy to clean fabrics.

Lonny

Supportive Member
Hmmm, I think I have an idea of how to go about this project. I'm gonna set up a series of tables to fold/clean turn over, then do again. Definitely could be used fro good PR. Hafta see how it all works out, I'll let ya'all know, assuming I get the job.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It's not a myth about touching the ground, it's simply a sign of respect originating from the military. Now burning if touched the ground is myth and flag code encourages cleaning and mending as needed.
. The boy scouts simply follow the military in the flag code and etiquette.
U.S flag code: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code

I think if you show proper respect in cleaning it would be a great PR move

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Hang a line between two poles in lot. Drape flag over it in half. Prespray, Scrub, Rinse maybe with power washer. turn over and repeat.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The Wiki citation and code it refers to are for displaying the flag. It's a misinnterpretation that display protocol applies to all flag handling.

PS: The military like to fold a flag into a triangle. This is a custom of the military but there are no regulations that say you have to fold a flag that way. If you store a flag for any length of time, roll it on a tube. The military triangle is cool but will create permanent creases.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Is it warm enough to go over to the high school and use the back side of the bleachers. You can hang over the back and clean on the top seat. Use some clamps to hold the flag. No touching the ground and everybody will see what you are doing.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Hard to speculate on an attack plan with out seeing it. But I think Lonny had a good plan and biggest think is simply showing the respect.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
If its an American flag just clean it the best way you can in a washpit or on the ground.

I would not worry for a second about it touching the ground...its an overblown thing about a certain fabric touching ground. I mean you are handling IT to make it pretty WHEN it goes back to properly flying.

If its some weird North Korean or ISIS flag, just clean it the fastest way you can: pour some flammable substance on it..throw a match and walk away.
Easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Able 1

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Just to add to my post..

For years and years working on military bases (MCAS Miramar, Camp Pendleton), I had a chance to see how flags were handled. Many many times I saw the US flags rolled up thrown on the ground in different buildings. Neither the navy nor the marines cared about the whole "touching the ground" issue. It was more about the flag displayed and flown properly WHEN it was supposed to be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: sweendogg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom