Gates Predator Belts

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
As much as I love these belts, something has changed with them in the last year or two. They use to just crack when they were in need of replacing and I check them almost daily after a few months. Now they are just disintegrating just like the cogged belts which doesn't make me too happy, but they probably still last longer than BX belts.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Heat is a big factor in the life of belts . . .

Enclosed TM's are detrimental to belt life . . .

Some current TM designs have even been modified to give an acceptable belt lifetime . . .

Last edited:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
That's one of the things I really like about Sapphires' design - the positive air supply over the belts to improve their lifespan.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think I got like 2,000 hours on my last set.. Belts are no longer a problem for me.

Name
Nate W.
That's one of the things I really like about Sapphires' design - the positive air supply over the belts to improve their lifespan.

I've only read on the 570 having the fan blow through the frame.... The 870 didn't have the fan/frame cooler.... Maybe I'm wrong.....?

Name
Nate W.
Looking at the manuals I think you're right. Wonder why? Maybe the 870 layout allows better natural airflow?

Not sure, but they made it a selling point for the 570.... I personally would rather have the 870...... More sucky sucky........... Yes, I have a small penis syndrome.........:shifty:

Reactions: dgardner

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
not sure about the 870 but i always supply my belts with their own air source courtesy of a radiator fan. since installing it I've never had a belt break. there is a chart i saw once that showed the temperature and life expectancy. it was pretty eye opening. when the belt temperature got above a certain number the life was cut in half. the hotter it got the shorter the life. it wasn't a very high number from what i remember.

gene

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Unfortunately my belts are only about a half inch from the exhaust which is challenging. Wrapping probably helps a little bit, but I think I have to just accept the fact that regular changes are a fact of life. After all, its 30-45 minutes to swap them out. Pretty good for a Genesis.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Doug;
At 1/2 inch, you need a heat shield plus wrap.
Wrap a single layer of 2" fiberglass , and add a thin SS layer held on with hose clamps.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Larry I don't know the genesis but if they aren't stainless won't it cause them to rust. Doug even with fast belt changes it always seems to happen at the worst time. I hate changing them when the machine is hot.

Gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Gene;
The exhaust system on every HX TM should be STAINLESS .

With 1/2" of clearance, belt life will be severely shortened.

A heat shield is the easiest solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom