General deodorizing, how you doing it???

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, Miss Smith has a house full of dog smell(not urine) and she thinks she wants/needs a deodorizer... IMO, most odor products are just a mask that will dissipate over a few days and the issues will more than likely remain. However, it does occasionally help.

How would you use your odor product? Add it to the head pack? Add it to the pre spray? Maybe mist on after cleaning?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Jcooper, in Alabama folks like their dogs too. A lot of them have that sebaceous skin oil that leaves brown gook and an awful stink on walls, furniture and of course, carpet.

We usually price a complete cleaning from the chair rail down: woodwork, baseboards, all furniture (tables cupboards and such) upholstery, hard floors and then carpet. I use a strong enzyme for vulnerable finishes and upholstery, plenty of dwell.
Similarly for wood floors, and degreaser for the tile. On the carpet, more strong enzyme to soak and soften.

HWE and then sniff. Jack it up if needed (rarely). In my rinse, I may use a product like Hydrocide to neutralize any trace odors. I do drying strokes, but no fans, because I want the Hydrocide to perk all the way through and through.

It is tedious but it works. On one recent job I also used a spraypaint gun to atomize Hydrocide through the return air plenum and the wife pronounced it all good when she returned from work. The husband, of course, had been an eager collaberator all day, hahaha!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I add odorcide to my prespray and sometimes to my rinse. Just make sure you throughly clean it. I also do the smell test. Works fine. I also explain other places odors can linger.

Gene

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Masterblends skunk odor deo. Put in a spray bottle about 4 oz and spritz the area. Strong deo that will last for days.
Long enough for the check to cash. : )

Reactions: Willy P and SamIam

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Just cleaning it with HWE will improve the smell of the home If no urine.-- Pre-. spraying with an Acid rinse will help remove old urine smells. maybe add 40 volume to pre-spray.

Reactions: Mikey P

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Are you saying to do a post spray of acid rinse like the old Coit guys?

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Are you saying to do a post spray of acid rinse like the old Coit guys?

Depends. --on rugs in plant- yes but as a rinse and not as a "leave behind" chem. other times as a pre-spray, if a lot of urine in carpet. then clean again with enzyme if the carpet can handle it.. otherwise a near neutral prespray.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Ever use a microban carpet sanitizer for the prespray and use it as a extraction formula?
I use the off brand NSS sanitizer that cost $15 a gallon.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If we add it(odor product) to pre spray, it's getting rinsed out.

If it's added to the head pack(rinse container) it's diluted so much it's hardly noticeable.

Put in a spray bottle about 4 oz and spritz the area.

Heck spritz the whole house, it's better than using a boat load of product in a hydro force or a half gallon in a head pack!

Reactions: Jimmy L

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Masterblends skunk odor deo. Put in a spray bottle about 4 oz and spritz the area. Strong deo that will last for days.
Long enough for the check to cash. : )

That is one of the worst smelling thing in this industry.... It makes me gag...

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
If we add it(odor product) to pre spray, it's getting rinsed out.

that's why Dwell time is important.. 40 volume at a beauty supply store is only about $15/ gallon.
BUT if the odor is only because of pet dander and body Oil-- then Just pre-vacuum slowly and clean
using HWE.. your regular cleaning process will improve the odor.

Reactions: SamIam

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Yep, just a good smelling prespray like grease eraser or add a deo to a weaker prespray and clean the crap out of it. That's all it should need unless it's in the ducts or on the walls.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So, Miss Smith has a house full of dog smell(not urine) and she thinks she wants/needs a deodorizer... IMO, most odor products are just a mask that will dissipate over a few days and the issues will more than likely remain. However, it does occasionally help.

How would you use your odor product? Add it to the head pack? Add it to the pre spray? Maybe mist on after cleaning?
Not urine so I'm guessing dog dander or wet dog smell. Vacuum as much as possible then rotary clean. It's all about how much dogs still in the carpet after cleaning.

Reactions: Mikey P

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
My standard prespray for a dirty carpet is 1 scoop of flex per gal. Plus 1 cup of 40 volume per gal. This combo removes most stains and odors. I prespray pretty far ahead for max dwell time. If there is a bad odor beyond normal I add odorcide to my prespray. Super nasties get the same with a whitteaker scrub or the hoss plus a rinse that also has odocrcide. Nothing is perfect but it works 99%. Tomorrow I have a urine saturated carpet that will also need some spot flooding. It always smells great when leaving but the two dogs go right back to work. Great job security.

Gene

Reactions: Old Coastie

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
[QUOTE="GeneMiller, post: 4381879, member: 43395]

... It always smells great when leaving but the two dogs go right back to work. Great job security.

Gene[/QUOTE]

Dogs are man's best friend..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I will add a skosh of odorcide to my prespray, just a few ounces. It is all getting rinsed out but the few minutes of dwell time helps.

Light deodorizer goes in my rinse. What Lee said is huge. You have to dig that stuff out of the carpet fibers to the base using rotary extraction. I LOVE jobs like that. Mad pets but no urine. It makes me look like a pro!

Reactions: dgardner

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Funny thing with deodorizers (well, not so funny) is that it does not always work the same, even for what seems like the same circumstances.
It also depends on the clients tolerance to the odor, the smell of deodorizer and how much $$ they are willing to pay.

First you need to remove the odor source. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. If we lived in a perfect world it will work better if you cleaned first with a heavy enzyme based pre-spray. That will remove a lot of the odor and oils. After that a good pre-spray with a deodorizer [different principles: Paring agent, encapsulating, oxidizing, or enzyme based, (though you may not choose to do it as you already used an enzyme)]. Some deodorizers combine a few of the different principles together in one product.

A nice heavy dose of the deodorizer, brushed in and some dwell time is essential (at least 15 minutes), follow with a good deep rinse.

Other methods mentioned before are less steps and may be sufficient.

The perfume is just the masking agent. I hate all of them, though some are a lot worse then others. Give the client a few choices and get them involved in the decision (always a good idea). Make it clear (in writing and signed) that it will take some time to for the perfume (scent, if you're diplomatically inclined) to dissipate. Any deodorizer that has skunk in its name may take a few generations :winky:. Spritz directly in clients' left nostril and there will never again be a complaint about odors. Do check first with your legal department.

There are scent free deodorizers, but in my experience, a nice light scent has a good psychological (positive) effect. Clients feel that more was achieved. As to why- beyond both my psychological scope and pay grade.:winky:

Last edited:

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Crank up the heat and do a normal carpet clean. Seem to recall reading that the cause of odour is killed at 80 deg C. I know that when we sold steamers clients reported that their use of deodorisers was virtually eliminated, although they are at a higher temperatures ( about 140 deg C.)

Occasionally we will mist a little deodoriser on doorframes at about head level so that people scent it on entering the room. Seems to me that most of our clients won't get down and sniff their carpets, but guess it is different strokes for different folks.

roro

roro

steve_64

A couple scoops of prozyme plus and a couple scoops of OSR in the hydroforce. Apply liberally and let dwell. Extract as usual.

Works great on dirty dog odors. Of course the odor will return when the dog does. you can let them know to give the dog a shampOochie to help the odor stay away.

Getting the carpet dry is very important too. It can take several days for the carpet to completely dry in many situations. Many customers close the home when we leave and dont run fans or air long enough.

Odors often come from the padding and even the flooring under that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom