How are you quoting upholstery???

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So, I need to make quoting upholstery over the phone easier for the wife.

Seems like everything (as far as money goes) comes down to - are the cushions attached or detached? Had a sectional other day, 18 flipping cushions took over two hours.

We started asking: attached or detached, now we apparently need to start asking for a cushion count also.

Those that charge by the linear foot, does this include cushions? If so, is it less if attached?
Just looking for different pricing ideas or structures, got any?

Name
Steve Lawrence
One thing we do that helps pricing over the phone is tell peeps that we have 2 cleaning categories: regular care and special care. Then we'll give price guestimates based on that, number of loose cushions, sectional, 2 or 3 seater, etc. No firm prices over the phone but we usually get close enough to satisfy inquiries. Of course we're always agreeable to go take a look see and give a firm price.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
we charge by the linear ft plus extra per pillow. still not easy to estimate over the phone. if you give an example that's the price they will remember. i tell them i will give them an exact price before starting. yesterday we did a section that she measured and we gave her a price. it was half the size she said. yes, we adjusted the price, but it tells you how much she would of paid.

gene

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Not enuff, thats for sure.

One of the technical issues I need to improve on.
This and rugs we are missing out on, definitely.

Reactions: jcooper

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I charge differently down under.

I charge by the number of seating positions.

Generally, a 3 seater with two recliners, or most configurations for five bums, is about $220.00

More if loose cushions that are double sided.

More if badly stained, have urine, mold or odor problems which must be ascertained prior to cleaning and quoting.

More, depending on fabric quality or problem fabrics.

More if leather, more if Aniline or Nubuck.

More if more than thirty minutes from home.

I give an estimate over the phone, but also tell them that going on their description, the price may be less when I see the actual furniture.

I prefer to quote higher over the phone which allows me to drop the price if need be.

Probably 10% of enquiries will go for a cheaper clean, not a quality clean.

:yoda:

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Pricing upholstery accurately is definitely a challenge.

Unfortunately, accuracy is dependent upon the number of questions asked regarding the exact style and characteristics of the pieces, as well as the condition, so it behooves one to commit a few minutes longer than your average carpet call to get a clear picture of what your dealing with.

Throw pillows are definitely priced separately per piece.

First thing I want to know is if the back cushions detach, and second is if the seat cushions detach.

With each component that detaches, the potential surface are to be cleaned increases, so if there are detachable components, the next thing I want to know is if they want to pay a higher price to clean every side of every piece , or if they are just desire the exposed "surface areas" to be cleaned, of course at the lower rate per foot.

The weakness inherent in pricing solely by the linear foot, is that only 1 dimension of a multi-dimensional object is being considered.

Having a price "range" of between X and Y per foot, lets one factor in the other dimensions of the object, which is the biggest variable in the total amount of surface area present to be cleaned per linear foot.

My initial response is usually that upholstery is priced by the linear foot, and RANGES from X to Y depending on condition and the level of cleaning that they desire.

I find that this is usually easily understood by the customer, and they will respond accordingly given their budget and needs, and most importantly, is a safeguard against your "worst case scenario", which of course is a customer expecting every inch of every detached component to be cleaned at a bargain price.

If your in a competitive market, and without the luxury of simply setting a premium price and sticking to it, IMHO, linear foot pricing must also include a "range" per foot.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I think the simplest would be to offer linear pricing. This way its easy for the homeowner to calculate themselves by just measuring the length.

Offer (4) price levels:

Standard Care
Standard Care
with loose cushions

Special Care
Special Care
with loose cushions

Easy Cheezy! ;)
Any price suggestions.? I would limit the cushions because I have a few clients that would add pieces from other pieces and some who would search the house for cushions, pillows,

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes I would limit it to a set number
(8) total 3-Seat, 3-Backs and (2) Arm
anything else is an up charge, even if its matching fabric.

Price suggestions?
How much longer does it take to clean (3) back cushions and (2) arms that are loose? The seats are looses either way.

I think 20-25% more than a piece that doesn't have loose cushions.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
A chair or recliner is usually 40 bucks for wet clean
A sofa will range from 75-95 for wet clean
An average sofa group will range between 125- 200
Additional solvent charge on top for dry cleaning. This biggest way to pump up your upholstery revenue is to get a SS tool.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Price suggestions?
How much longer does it take to clean (3) back cushions and (2) arms that are loose? The seats are looses either way.
I think 20-25% more than a piece that doesn't have loose cushions.

It's totally random, a sectional with attached cushions can take an hour if all goes well. That same sectional with detached cushions can(and normally do) take twice as long. Someone books carpet and upholstery cleaning(sectional), I need to be on my game just to get done it time, next thing you know the couch has 16 freaking pillows... Racing to get done/on time is not how I want to do things.

Right now we price by the item/piece: couches start at a 100, sectional 130, love seat 60/70, lazy boy type chair 45. These don't seem outrageous to me, I know lots of guys(around us) get more, but at the same time according to the wife - we also get many calls asking why we are more....:hopeless:

So, she end up defending us to some yahoo who doesn't understand there are differences in services... Some just work/try harder, spend more time, etc...

Anyways, seems I/we need to have a attached/detached price. The per ln foot method seems easier for her, however I think people would shat if told 20-25+ per foot.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We do a set price based on the type of love seat/couch/sectional/chair/ottoman. Here is an example:

Dining Room Chair Bottom only: $10
Dining Room Chair with Back and Bottom: $15
Recliner: $45
Loveseat (2 cushions): $75
Couch (3 cushions): $110
Sectional (L-Shape, 3 Piece): $140
Sectional (U-Shape, 4-5 pieces): $175
Mattress: $50 Queen $60 King.

Includes Cleaning, stain removal, deodorizer, protectant. We don't base off the footage, just on the types described by the customer above. This way there is no explaining to measure by ft. Our prices are competitive to our competitors. Also, if the cushions are not removable, or there is no fabric on sides and back, that can decrease the above prices by $20 usually. So instead of $110 for a couch it would be $90 if we weren't cleaning sides/back. Some customers ask for this discount because they've had the couch against the wall and don't want the back cleaned. Money $aver. Prices don't include urine treatment, leather polishing, etc.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Some customers ask for this discount because they've had the couch against the wall and don't want the back cleaned. Money $aver.

A similar potential discount can be applied if the customer does not desire a "full service" teardown of the piece, but I prefer to not leave it in the hands of the customer to ask for it, or for them to volunteer the information.

Being hungry for growth and wanting to capitalize on as much as I can, I like to be proactive in inquiring about the level of service desired in regards to upholstery due to the additional factors involved as opposed to carpets, and try to be sure that I have a good understanding of the situation.

I want to be sure that I know exactly what they want so I can price accordingly, and not foolishly loose any jobs to another hack, who through merely simple inquiry, knows that Ms. Piff is 70 years old, lives alone, and only wants it "freshened up", and quoted the price accordingly, while I priced myself out by only quoting the full service price.

Win-Win situation as I can meet the budgets of a greater number of potential customers, the expectations of both parties are clearly defined, and most importantly, I safeguard myself from the slow, painful death of a nightmare upholstery job that was under-priced.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Do you guys charge the same price for natural upholstery as synthetic? From the responses, it seems as if the quantity of fabric is your only means of giving a price.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Do you guys charge the same price for natural upholstery as synthetic? From the responses, it seems as if the quantity of fabric is your only means of giving a price.

Generally anything natural(cotton etc.) has to be much more expensive, John.
It cost them more to buy, more liability for us, easier to damage.

Reactions: Wing It

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I clean a lot of upholstery and have very competitive prices which can be quoted over the phone. A 3 cushion sofa is $50, chair or recliner is $25. I can go blazing fast on all but very soiled fabrics which can really gobble the time. This lightly soiled wool sectional was $120. I apply Magic Potion in a trigger which is a neutral prespray, cleaner and rinse all in one and vac with a cuff all surfaces and that takes maybe 20-30 minutes:
may 15 pump sprayer 024.JPG

may 15 pump sprayer 025.JPG

And then a rinse with the Upholstery Pro set to continuous flow on more used areas which adds another 10 -20 minutes:
may 15 pump sprayer 027.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Wing It

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Magic potion is highly oxidized product that normally should not be applied to wool.

Your speed leaves me both envious and semi exhausted. I like the Matisse in the background, is that an original? :winky:

As per pricing. Can't compare what one gets here to other parts. Different market and totally different prices. I provide a price range per linear foot. The price range is for detached cushions and pillows as well as soiling level. It allows me to adjust price (compensate) for extra time spent. Most clients understand and are fine with it.

Last edited:

Brian H

Name
Brian H
We charge one price for furniture cleaning whether it's standard or special care. We used to charge extra for dry clean only fabrics, but got away from it because we didn't like the negative moment of truth. Telling the customer that it's a dry clean only fabric, it will cost more and the results aren't going to be as good as if used a water based cleaner. Also with the use of low moisture tools, we don't really do a lot of dry cleaning anyways.

The first 7 feet of a sectional is charged the same as our 6-7 foot sofa price. After 7 feet, we charge by the foot measured along the back. The crew will measure the sectional when they arrive and give them a price before they start. I have found over the years you can get a lot of varied sizes in sectionals and the way we price them is reasonably easy to do over the phone.

We also charge extra for loose back cushions and/or toss pillows. When giving prices for furniture cleaning over the phone, we always ask if there are any loose back cushions or toss pillows and we mark the order if they say they don't have any. That way we know we mentioned it and that they said they had none. If they have them, we tell them the price each. We tell them the crew will add them up and total it out when they get there.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
whether it's standard or special care
"Dry Cleaning Only" we would include them with Special Care if they are potential browning or bleeding victims.

I include velvets, velours and microfiber as "Special Care". It just takes so much extra time to groom these so we don't leave any pile distortion, that they are due more.

Art dresses better to clean carpet and upholstery, than I do to go to church.....or anywhere. :redface:

Reactions: Art Kelley

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I clean a lot of upholstery and have very competitive prices which can be quoted over the phone. A 3 cushion sofa is $50, chair or recliner is $25. I can go blazing fast on all but very soiled fabrics which can really gobble the time. This lightly soiled wool sectional was $120. I apply Magic Potion in a trigger which is a neutral prespray, cleaner and rinse all in one and vac with a cuff all surfaces and that takes maybe 20-30 minutes:
View attachment 3851
View attachment 3850

And then a rinse with the Upholstery Pro set to continuous flow on more used areas which adds another 10 -20 minutes:
View attachment 3852

Art seems to have spent an awfully long time cleaning the upholstery in front of that painting...

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
There are so many variables on cleaning upholstery, and we clean a lot of it. This is what we ask over the phone to be able to give the customers an "estimate":

COUCH -
Is it a standard sized 3 seat couch?
Are the back cushions removable?
Is it over-stuffed? deep and wide size
Is there a skirt?
Any loose side pillows?
How soiled is it, and are there any particular stains/spills?
Is it (natural fibers) cotton, wool, linen, rayon, silk, etc. (if they know)? Silk is expensive to begin with and requires extra care when cleaning. Is it (synthetic fibers) faux suede, acrylic, Polyester, Nylon, Olefin, or Polypropylene. The suede has to have the tools marks removed (groomed).

LOVESEAT -
Is it a standard 2 seater?
...and so on like the couch questions?

CHAIR -
One person size, larger, overstuffed, removable back cushion, skirt, fabric (if they know)?

SECTIONAL -

Would you say it is equivalent to a couch and a loveseat in size, or more like 3 pieces, with a curved center section?
Is there a lounger?
Skirt, overstuffed, same questions as the couch above.

I don't like the lineal foot pricing because of all of these different factors. We have been using this pricing system for 30 years, and it has not failed us yet.

As far as dry clean only, you all know how inaccurate those furniture tags are. I have seen dry clean only tags on outdoor patio furniture.

We make sure to tell the customer that the price we quote over the phone is strictly an estimate. Once we we get there and pre-inspect the piece(s), we can give a firm price for cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom