How Long After A Long Layoff?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
We have a tech that broke his ankle, still hasnt come back actually.
When he does, how long until he gets back in "game shape"

Anyone ever have a long layoff?
How long did it take ya to get going again.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I closed my multiple van franchised biz in Jan 2008.When I closed I would have never believed I'd be cleaning carpets again one day, especially doing the cleaning myself.

I opened my independent one man band operation in April 2009. It took me one day to get back in the swing of it. I think it's like riding a bike.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
When he does, how long until he gets back in "game shape"

depends on his age, health, severity of injury and his heart (will)

Anyone ever have a long layoff?
How long did it take ya to get going again.

'92 ..violent auto accident.
Intensive care for a couple days with multiple injuries
(broken ankle and pelvis being the worst)
Surgery to put the pelvis back together with plates and screws.
Total stay in the hospital was 7 days..would of been longer but I "told" them I'm leaving

Couldn't walk for a month, couldn't walk without major pain for well over a year.
i was working (hobbled as hell) 3 months after the crash

i was 33 then and in great physical shape (was a stud actually)
if i didn't have the "heart" I probably would of laid around another 6-8 months and not have to "work thru the pain"

some guys have more "heart" than others..some injuries are worse/more painful than others
I can tell you I wouldn't of had the "the heart" if not in jeopardy of losing everything due to lack of income
(pretty much a one man show at the time)

if i'd of been working at the UAW shop at the time, I'd of milked the chit of sick leave

in conclusion to that long winded ramble...it "depends" .....on the guy's heart and severity of injury ...his "heart" being the major factor

..L.T.A.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Considering the amount of actual physical exertion, I would imagine it would 2-3 weeks to get back to 100% ( provided the injury has healed completely). It's kinda like the gym, if you take time off: your muscles have to re-adapt.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
What Uncle Larry said....

Medical clearance from his doctor too, of course.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
He is a stay busy type personality, not a couch potato.

That's a good thing.
depends how loyal to you and/or the rest of the crew (if applicable) whether he's busy at home or returns to work/willing to carry his load

But am a little worried after sitting for so long.

i can tell you atrophy freaked me the fook out ...fo-reel.
(i had big bulging tight muscle calves and thighs)
it was freaky looking my legs wither

but again..it depends how severe
and how motivated he is..either by lack of money (very strong motivator) or loyalty to you and/or crew

got me curious now too

When did he break it?
How bad?
is he getting some kind of pay while off? (workers comp or other insurance)
Did it happen on the job?

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

So this was one month after my last surgery. Went back to work six weeks after surgery. The pain was so bad I could not drive because it hurt to much to push the gas or break. I did 2 jobs a day until I could bare more. Still hurts like a mother and going to have foot fused in december. Will be out 3 months this time

image.jpg

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So this was one month after my last surgery. Went back to work six weeks after surgery. The pain was so bad I could not drive because it hurt to much to push the gas or break. I did 2 jobs a day until I could bare more. Still hurts like a mother and going to have foot fused in december. Will be out 3 months this time

What was wrong?

Mike Draper

crushed my foot 15 years ago. this was a surgery to take out hardware and try to fix the pain. Unfortunatley is way worse now.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
That's a good thing.
depends how loyal to you and/or the rest of the crew (if applicable) whether he's busy at home or returns to work/willing to carry his load

i can tell you atrophy freaked me the fook out ...fo-reel.
(i had big bulging tight muscle calves and thighs)
it was freaky looking my legs wither

but again..it depends how severe
and how motivated he is..either by lack of money (very strong motivator) or loyalty to you and/or crew

got me curious now too

When did he break it?
How bad?
is he getting some kind of pay while off? (workers comp or other insurance)
Did it happen on the job?

..L.T.A.

-He slipped on some ice at a job site.

-Real bad, surgery to insert rod/screws

-Yes, workers comp is paying him
Never missed a paychek

-Yes ^^^^

The frustrating part is he has worked for me some 12 years now. He knows everything in commercial...
Taking a lot of work for me now because i have to work with rookies and associates(helpers).

Wearing me the fook out!
8 million little details he knows that some of the other guys just dont.

Turnover is a killer in this industry, at least for lead staff.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Our guys make more working then on Work Comp, so they are motivated to get back to work fast. If a guy is out a couple of months, I wouldn't expect it to take long to get back in the grove. I would go light for a week or so and let him tell you he can do more.

I have had 2 guys off for a couple of years each due to car accidents that happened on their own time. One was ruptured disk in the back the other was a broken back. We took it easy on both of them for a few months just so we could be sure they could still do the work!
Turnover is a killer in this industry, at least for lead staff.

Why the turnover? When a guy does leave, are you conducting an exit interview? Find out why they are leaving. Maybe it's something you can fix. We pay our people well and give them a lot of control over their schedule.

Our NEWEST leader has been with us for 7 years and he only fills in part-time as a leader. Our NEWEST full time crew leader has been with us since 2004.

Reactions: Art Kelley

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
crushed my foot 15 years ago. this was a surgery to take out hardware and try to fix the pain. Unfortunatley is way worse now.

Holy poop!

That scar looked like it could be Achilles tendon(my issue)....... I'll stick with my issue, yours is much worse. Hang in there.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Our guys make more working then on Work Comp, so they are motivated to get back to work fast. If a guy is out a couple of months, I wouldn't expect it to take long to get back in the grove. I would go light for a week or so and let him tell you he can do more.

I have had 2 guys off for a couple of years each due to car accidents that happened on their own time. One was ruptured disk in the back the other was a broken back. We took it easy on both of them for a few months just so we could be sure they could still do the work!

Why the turnover? When a guy does leave, are you conducting an exit interview? Find out why they are leaving. Maybe it's something you can fix. We pay our people well and give them a lot of control over their schedule.

Our NEWEST leader has been with us for 7 years and he only fills in part-time as a leader. Our NEWEST full time crew leader has been with us since 2004.

Partly bad luck, partly statistics.
I like to hire older workers, gotta change that or mix it up more.

Most over last 5 years have been injuries, illness and 1 death.
Kinda weird actually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom