How would you handle this

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
The shower tile and grout is not the issue...it's the lame old aluminium and glass with all the extra silicone spread all over it.

Is it a complete scrape out job and followed by a thorough caulking?

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0475.JPG

Mikey P

Administrator
Most of that is growing under the silicone.

Peel, scrape or use some of that silicone de-solver(that I've never tried) to get underneath and hit it with an acid and the metal toof brush.

Then follow up with some Magic Al's metal polish and some 0000 steel wool

Reactions: Zee

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Any of you have experience with the silicone remover juice?

I do NOT want to spend more than a couple hours on this junk...

Mikey P

Administrator
No...problem is that bead of silicone along the bottom frame is whats' holding the glass and water) in.

DONT mess that up.

A Shower Door company would replace that for less than I would charge to mess with it. Its a low end door. Best way to do this job is to have a glass company remove that one, you or they clean all the funk underneath than replace with new or the old one if it cleaned up well enough

Second best is razor off as much silicone as possible, scrub the hell out of it with the HD brush and SS wool and re-apply a minimal amount of silicone. With zero guarantee on mold return. Mold is growing under the metal and it's going to come right back.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Correction...

Between the glass and aluminum is a pre molded strip from factory. You have to pull that out and soak in bleach/ cleaner and reinstall

we dont mess with crap any more....

An aggressive abrasive cleaner with acid base will remove the rest

I would tell her invest in a frameless door....

If that was all you were doing, 1 hour ..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
like I said.

yep...i didn't see your post til after I posted

that's a $100 door..ten bukx for couple tubes of silicone
30 minutes to install..... Less if no new holes to drill
might have an hour and half tops with, pulling the old, clean up and schmoozing the check writer with my charm and good lookz

..L.T.A.

Name
cameron demille
This is not a maids job. This needs to get done by a professional. If you don't want to do it, then don't, but if you "don't want to spend more than a couple of hours" move on and let them hire someone that will take it seriously. It's not a high paying job, but it needs to be done right.

Prosoco makes Dicone 9, a silicone digestant. I would probably just scrape it all off the stone, then pick it off the aluminum, or use a plastic putty knife. MB-9 is a stone safe mold and mildew remover that works really well. Clean up, scrub it down with solvent and let it dry, then re-silicone. Even use a colored silicone to match the stone and make it look good.

It's tedious, but will look very nice when done right.

Name
cameron demille
as nice as brand new door???...for the same cost???

..L.T.A.

Probably not. It's money. If you want it, do it, if not, pass it on to someone else.

And there are ways to make the metal look literally new. I don't share it on forums because I can only convey enough info on the internet to get you into trouble. There is a specific chemical and specific method, but if done wrong, it will jack up everything. I don't usually hold back sharing info, but all I need is someone to skim through and go destroy their shower.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom