Mikey P

Administrator
20150818_132108.jpg
20150818_132120.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Its difficult to say without knowing the gentleman, but sadly coupons that offer percentages off or dollars off of an unknown list price are usually not well appreciated by consumers who are even a little bit "worldly wise".

He may very well be a good cleaner and a fine fellow, but the tactics in his ad, including the use of the affiliations listed at the bottom, are usually those used by cleaners who are "low price in and upcharge while you are there" types of cleaners.

He may be new and naive and just using what he's seen others do. That's usually the marketing approach of most new cleaners.

Do you know him Mike?

Reactions: Russ T.

PTMatt

Name
Matt Martinez
Its difficult to say without knowing the gentleman, but sadly coupons that offer percentages off or dollars off of an unknown list price are usually not well appreciated by consumers who are even a little bit "worldly wise".

He may very well be a good cleaner and a fine fellow, but the tactics in his ad, including the use of the affiliations listed at the bottom, are usually those used by cleaners who are "low price in and upcharge while you are there" types of cleaners.

He may be new and naive and just using what he's seen others do. That's usually the marketing approach of most new cleaners.

Do you know him Mike?

He's not new, been in the game for awhile.

FredC

Village Idiot
coupons that offer percentages off or dollars off of an unknown list price are usually not well appreciated by consumers who are even a little bit "worldly wise".

Isn't that exactly what one would expect to find as a consumer in "The Clipper"?

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
"The biggest trucks make a huge difference".

Sounds like a little/short guy with a small penis complex that makes up for it with his big truck.

"Dry steam". Holy oxymoron.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would see through this statement.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
"The biggest trucks make a huge difference".

Sounds like a little/short guy with a small penis complex that makes up for it with his big truck.

"Dry steam". Holy oxymoron.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would see through this statement.

First, not all of us compensate for our, er, shortfalls with big trucks. It is much cheaper to simply lie about how long five inches are...

Secondly, to me, "dry steam" refers to 5% or less water to volume of super-heated steam or "vapor."
I've used it to clean one or two carpets, but I don't think it is very beneficial due to the risk of heat induced changes to synthetic and natural fibers. Reading his website, I think he is simply coining a phrase and doing HWE.

Not knocking that, but as high temperature vapor cleaning becomes more widely used and understood by the public, they'll expect an entirely different process than he describes.

BTW, using vapor really works to clean and freshen rugs and carpet, but you have to be careful. Very careful!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Personally I don't like coupons of any kind. I've never found it necessary and I think it puts you a step above your competition. I might think different with more than one truck.

Gene

Reactions: Connor

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We are they same way when we need to keep people busy.

When busy "discounts?" no way. When slow sure will, just so I don't have to pay labor all by myself. :smile:

No slow down this year too busy to give discounts. :winky:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
ya think?

Ask Brian Hanna what they have to do to keep the fleet busy.

Coupons are a catch 22. People get used to them and then want them all the time. I understand wanting to be busy and keep people working. It's a fine line I'm glad I don't have to deal with.

Gene

Reactions: Connor

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
You are right, Gene. Train your customers to expect coupons and they'll wait for one. After all, it's only been ten years since the last cleaning, so what's the big hurry?

And no, they can't have fries with that...

Reactions: Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We haven't offered a coupon or deal of any kind to new customers in 2 years.

Our most valuable customers are repeat customers. We give 20% off if a custy has us back within 6 months, and 10% off if within a year. I just cleaned one of the latter this morning.

I feel like this is a good way to train our good customers that if they want a deal...call more often!

We remind them of the discounts on our 3 and 9 month SM Fill My Schedule reminder cards.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We stopped doing the coupon/money mailers years ago. I agree, that people were "trained" to wait for a coupon. It also could send message that you are already over priced if you can afford to discount all the time.

Now we do "strategic" discounts, but they only go out to the clients in our data base. They are random, and time bound - depending on when we are slow and I want to keep the guys busy. I also rotate the service they are good for to encourage people to do services they may not normal, wanted to try or had an "estimate" in our system for and weren't ready to purchase at the time. I hate discounting, but I have to tell you have been pleasantly surprised at how well this type of thing has done for us. And we didn't "give away" much. In fact our average invoice from the last promo we ran was over $700.00.

We just ran one (3 week window to get the job scheduled and completed since we have a lull with back to school). Booked 15 jobs. Have done 4 so far with a total of $4753.00. Average invoice $950.00...this is MORE than our typical average invoice which is between $600-650. I really thought discounting would result in small invoices and was something I'd do to get some cash flow and keep the guys busy in slower times. Both times doing it have been eye opening. Just goes to show all the Nay-Sayers that discounting doesn't always have to be a negative thing, when done the right way. It's money we likely wouldn't have had. Even if I only pull our low "average" invoice of $600, with 15 jobs that's $9000.00 that we generated in a 3 week period. I think we will likely exceed that since we already did 4 jobs and pulled in close to $5k with 11 more jobs to go!

Shawn Abbey

Name
Shawn Abbey
Maybe its just me, but the add itself seems really complicated.

Given today's short attention span, I wonder if they'll get a lot of response?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom