Is it ok to install 2 silencers in series on a blower or motor?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
dang-- got a negative review from non customer about noise from our TM.

I've been thinking about adding Additional mufflers for a while now-- when took the tm to a Midas mufflers the guy said it wouldn't help much-- then he went out of business-- not a good biz man a guess.
My TMs are Slide Ins so the additional mufflers will have to installed under van.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I don't think any muffler will help much. It is what it is with some people, others complain.
They probably complain about the garbage truck, street sweeper etc

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
If it's a real problem than you might want to think about a direct drive.

The problem with direct drives is that IF the van gets into and accident and the front end is damaged-- the TM blower may also get damaged. Many Pros n Cons of both DD vs slide-ins.

Steve CGD guy

Supportive Member
The shaft on a Hydramaster would fold like an accordion, it is pretty thin metal. On a pro 1200 it doesn't couple directly to the blower so you would lose your pulleys. I'm not sure about the Butler. But like Ray said, if the front end is hit that hard, you have bigger problems to deal with than the unit itself.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
true indeed about bigger problems.... while I was at a distributor's a Coit van was getting a slide in-- thought coit only used DD-- the guy from coit told me about his van getting into accident and that's why he switched to slide in.
here's another thing to think about-- remember the time before heat exchangers and we would mount the propane tank on the side- under the van? Most accidents are T-Boned type.. I'm glad I had my propane tank illegally installed inside the van when I got T-Boned!! Hit me right where the tank should have been!

F

FB7777

If I was operating slide ins , I would insulate the van interior. It would help absorb some of the sound vibration

The silencer on the Butler units do a fantastic job of dampening the noise from the 47 blowers

But some customers just are difficult to satisfy , some hear power while others hear an annoyance

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
dang-- got a negative review from non customer about noise from our TM.

I've been thinking about adding Additional mufflers for a while now-- when took the tm to a Midas mufflers the guy said it wouldn't help much-- then he went out of business-- not a good biz man a guess.
My TMs are Slide Ins so the additional mufflers will have to installed under van.

how long have you been running it...is this the first time it has happened...if it is...don't worry about it...some people just like to bitch to here themselves talk.....

If it is a re accruing problem/complaint..then its time to do something about it....you can add mufflers...just make sure you have less bends as possible and it flows nice and gets no back lash..........

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
It only happens a couple times a year... but our equipment is loader then the competitions' but That's because we have the biggest blowers in the city. I think I should try to lower the decibels just to be a good "citizen"

the poster of review said we should use the power from the customer's house instead---- haha

Mike Draper

my granpda lives in an retirement community. Directly behind his apartment 100 yds is an apartment comlex. My grandpa is always bitching about the noise from my friend who runs an AT and adam hales old V. Its seems like the noise really radiats from those machines on the 3rd level of an apartment vs. ground level. I've also had clients tell me the last person that cleaned for them had a noisy machine and they didnt like it. My new truckmount is going to be ultra quiet. I think most clients wouild prefer that.

Name
BradFenstermaker
I run an extra thrush muffler from advanced auto.

When needed I just slip over the stock blower output. I redneck engineered a coat hanger loop and hook to hold outside in front of TM.

Works well and no reduced flow for wand or TM.

About $35 to try. My thrush slips over the TM

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Not all mufflers are created equal at noise suppression. I would look into something made for industrial noise suppression.

Gene

Name
Marcus
Mufflers don't work only silencers there is a big difference...
Just went thru this on both my truckmounts...went thru 2-3 mufflers and a small silencer, finally got the biggest silencer I could find 38" x 13" and cost 500$, but worth every penny.
mufflers are made for engines there is a big difference with blower noise.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Mufflers don't work only silencers there is a big difference...
Just went thru this on both my truckmounts...went thru 2-3 mufflers and a small silencer, finally got the biggest silencer I could find 38" x 13" and cost 500$, but worth every penny.
mufflers are made for engines there is a big difference with blower noise.

Not all mufflers are created equal at noise suppression. I would look into something made for industrial noise suppression.

Gene

True that!--- when I went on the Stoddard Silencer website they explained the 3 different issues concerning sound suppression and that Silencers are Different then Mufflers.. Problem Is-- My ADHD kicked in and I soon
found myself on www.SUMMITRACING.com ordering Turbo Mufflers. Since Ill be installing these mufflers in series after the Stoddards silencers already on the TM-- maybe it will work? It only cost me $135/ 2 mufflers to find out.

thanks for all your input.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
That additional header muffler will quiet it down a bit.
run the exhaust thru the floor, mount the header muffler under the van.
that way you're not only quieting it a bit, but redirecting the noise to under the van

There's still a ton racket that comes from the TM it's self too.
if exhaust thru the floor, you now can close some van doors ...you have to common sense about that, cause the TM needs airflow for cooling

..L.T.A.

Reactions: dgardner

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The van interior can act like an echo chamber. Larrys right send it under neath if possible but don't aim it at the ground. Besides damaging lawns and painted driveways the ground will cause an echo.

Gene

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
The van interior can act like an echo chamber. Larrys right send it under neath if possible but don't aim it at the ground. Besides damaging lawns and painted driveways the ground will cause an echo.

Gene

Good Points.. the interior of my vans where padded--- but this post reminded me that the 2 new vans are not padded. And the exhaust/blower pipes went under van and towards the back-- not down. But That might have changed also. I'll investigate when I return.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
The problem with direct drives is that IF the van gets into and accident and the front end is damaged-- the TM blower may also get damaged. Many Pros n Cons of both DD vs slide-ins.

DD vans should have a frame mounted guard rail for potential accidents.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
make sure that the exhaust is pointed away from the complainer. My slide in exhausts out the side door. I usually park so the noise is pointed at the most open area. It's loud on the exhaust side but I can have a normal conversation on the other. Close the rear doors and open your windows a crack and you will get lots of ventilation from them and the side door. I had a lady call me to complain once (she called my cell) I could see her on her balcony 3 blocks away. Some people have nothing better to do

Back
Top Bottom