Lead Tech pay

Kipp

Name
kip
Hired a real winner. Guy has 10 years experience in cleaning, WDR and some repairs. Fits my model perfectly he is an upselling master.

Great attitude, big picture thinker, self starter, and great trainer.

Have had him on board for over a month. One of those hires you want to watch for awhile because you're scared you missed something in the interview or the skeletons in the closet are going to creap out...you know to good to be true.

Nothing just a flat out stud. Upsells every job, training another tech, everyday he calls from at least one job to schedule another job for another service for the customer. And most customers he schedules for their next service in 6-8 months.

So I'm a 4 month old biz. What would you pay a guy like this on the if come he'll be that right hand man you can build from.

Becker

Name
Becker
What are you paying him now?

What is the cost of living where you live? What city do you live.

Last edited:

Kipp

Name
kip
$600 a week guarantee or 25% which ever is greater. He has exceeded his guarantee every week.

I had to go higher than I wanted to land him not that he demanded it but he had just relocated and I knew he was interviewing with a few of the big franchises.

I sold him on a future and opportunity to build something. He liked the idea. I'm guessing he'll make $50k plus his first year and while it may run my labor higher than I wanted in my first year once the company catches up he'll be a $60-$75k guy and worth every penny ...at least that's my thoughts on it.

Didn't expect to land a guy of this caliber this early in the business but people are the core to growing a business so it's worth the investment in my mind.

Becker

Name
Becker
That's where I'm at.. 30% extra for repeat clients, extra for jobs he sells, extra for special jobs, including weekends.
Thinking of hiring a ride along tech, he I think I would straight pay hourly.

Kipp

Name
kip
Does he work solo or do you have another tech in the truck?

I having him training a tech right now for truck #2 and that's my plan going forward to have home train all tech for 90 days min before they can go solo.

So that hurts the labor % a bit because you never get 2x's the production from two guys more like 1.5 but the training is invaluable.

Reactions: Lars

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Would also think about benefits if you want him to stay long term.

Single health insurance or partial family, paid time off, small retirement account.
All this is easy to do nowadays with a payroll service.

Reactions: Russ T.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
LOL

Also make sure to set up an equipment bonus, if God forbid he can make it a whole month without breaking, losing or stealing something.

Reactions: Connor

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Guys like that scare the shit out of me. I prefer to build our own rather tech's and that way they don't come in with built-in problems.

However if you are committed to him then I'd keep a close eye on him for as long as he stays. In my experience guys like that also don't stay long.

Pay? I think money will be the big motivator for him. He sounds like a hard charger, it will have to be enough to keep him interested.

Commission usually works well for that type (keep a good handle on QC calls, reviews) and eventfully you could tie him to yearly sales increases provided its increased profits too.

Just ask him how he plans to steal from you, honesty is always the best policy! ;)

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Somehow we have to find a way to make our interests common. When the company succeeds, tech succeeds.

Up selling is great but we (speaking personally) don't want to become the SS type that is sales driven but that model is successful for a lot of other companies.

I don't want my customers to feel like they have dealt with a salesman but rather a skilled craftsmen who cares about their long term business.

If every residential customer refers us to 1 friend or family member, we would grow at an almost unmanageable rate....

Interesting thread because we will hire by Spring. I'd like it to be a guy like this....I think.

Career minded, family type with real bills and real responsibilities. They will be treated and paid well because they are the most important part of the biz.

The Clean Machine

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't think it's possible to have a "career minded" tech in this business WITHOUT there being ways in which he or she can enhance their pay. Plus, people who are successful need ways to stay motivated. A pat on the back is not enough.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Cant recruit grown men with families without health insurance of some kind. Woman and children NEED health insurance.

Reactions: Russ T.

Kipp

Name
kip
I'd pay him 20% on what I schedule for him and 30% of what he sells.

Period.

No minimum salary.

No work ... he goes home.

That might work well for an established business but if you're trying to grow something you sometimes have to invest in people because in the end it's your people who make or break you

You're the ex-Fat Cat marketing brain child. Keep him busy with your marketing skills.

Would have been a good one if it was true...

Reactions: 212 and Russ T.

Kipp

Name
kip
Guys like that scare the shit out of me. I prefer to build our own rather tech's and that way they don't come in with built-in problems.

However if you are committed to him then I'd keep a close eye on him for as long as he stays. In my experience guys like that also don't stay long.

Pay? I think money will be the big motivator for him. He sounds like a hard charger, it will have to be enough to keep him interested.

Commission usually works well for that type (keep a good handle on QC calls, reviews) and eventfully you could tie him to yearly sales increases provided its increased profits too.

Just ask him how he plans to steal from you, honesty is always the best policy! ;)

Yeah you and me both...I'm being real careful to not over extend myself gambling on him till we have some time under our belt. It's a fine line to use him to help grow us without over extending. My challenge is I'm just spread to thin right now with all my responsibilities in other businesses so he helps take a big burden off me. I hoping to have myself more focused on this business by summer.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I am kidding some, so don't hold it against your tech.

Although too good to be true new hires usually wilt in time or at least thats been our experience.

Hope you prove me wrong!

hogjowl

Idiot™
That might work well for an established business but if you're trying to grow something you sometimes have to invest in people because in the end it's your people who make or break you

Would have been a good one if it was true...

Well then, hire Torrey or Ross to keep him busy.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I am with Richard. Techs with multi year experience usually crap out.

The first few months will be great. Give it 8-10 months and they begin to think they can do it with out you.

If you are not careful with your excitement for their abilities you will be building a monster.

I have helped 5 of 6 former carpet cleaners realize their true potential is elsewhere.

My son put it very well about two of the hire we needed to see move on that we thought would be great lead techs and potential future service managers.

"Dad if they where manager potential why didn't it happen at their other employers?"

If they where not manages elsewhere they wont be for you either.

Good luck!

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Agree with Tom and Richard. Superstar techs fall by the wayside over time. Look for someone who is willing to follow your system. When we start someone out our basic goal in the first 30 days is to see if they show up "clean, sober, dressed correctly, on time and willing to follow the system we have laid out." You can teach them the rest if they can manage that stuff

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Dont forget paid time off.

I actually dont pay very well hourly but everyone is on incentive and even the cleaners get around a dozen paid days off a year including holidays.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I am kidding some, so don't hold it against your tech.

Although too good to be true new hires usually wilt in time or at least thats been our experience.

Hope you prove me wrong!

Occasionally you're capable of making a lucid observation.It's rare, ;) but that statement rings 100% true. EVERY FREAKING TIME I've hired experienced, out of the gate - great! - but it's gone in the dustbin eventually. Late, hungover, lazy up, miss days, whine about the work load..... tried % and hourly it didn't matter. I've just hired a new guy that doesn't know shit but he seems intent on learning my system. I personally won't hire experienced if I can avoid it.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Pay him what you are now, and a percentage of the techs he trains totals. That way he is vested and will ensure ongoing training and sales support of new techs.

Gonna have to guarantee 800 week

Bjorn

a guy this great I would be thinking what is keeping him from starting his own business you know with your customers

this guy why did his last job let him go or did he quit?

" If it's too good to be true "

Kipp

Name
kip
a guy this great I would be thinking what is keeping him from starting his own business you know with your customers

this guy why did his last job let him go or did he quit?

" If it's too good to be true "
he relocated from another state

I have a non compete... I know they don't stop people from working elsewhere or even starting his own biz but if he went directly after my clients I would have a case.

Kipp

Name
kip
Pay him what you are now, and a percentage of the techs he trains totals. That way he is vested and will ensure ongoing training and sales support of new techs.

Gonna have to guarantee 800 week
I am doing that, he's getting 2.5% off all techs he trains.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom