Legends of the Biz

Name
Danny Strickland
I've been lucky over the past 25 yrs to meet some legends in this business. With guys passing now I would love to know whom you've met that you wished you had asked for their autograph?

Mine has to be Ralph Bloss!

I had the pleasure of spending a week in Denver at the Steamway Mothership when SHAW got into vertical intergration. Ralph's hospitality and genuine care for those around him taught me some great lessons from merely observing the way he treated people. Case in point: The hotel he did buiness with for putting up out of town students was over booked, we needed 2 nights if I remember, but the Manager was staunch on not being able to accommodate our needs for night 2. Ralph thanked him for the many years of good service and said he hoped the new hotel he would do biz with in the future could measure up to the present hotels record. We stayed the following night!

Throughtout that week he never failed to introduce me to people in the business who either worked with him or were there for what ever reason (first time I met Larry Cooper) at their facility.

My second meeting with Ralph was at the ISCT convention at the same Hilton MFE was held. We went on a dinner cruse in Clearwater Bay. I was invited by Ralph to dine at his table and though I don't remember our conversation, I do remember telling my wife about Ralph and his others centered way with people. He was a walking/talking "How to win Friends and Influence People" book on two feet.

Doyle and Greg have some damn good DNA!!!

PS If Mikey uses his super powers for good and not evil, a starry eyed VLM hack may some day pen a few lines about him!!!

Last edited:

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Didn't Danny tell us he met the inventor of the urinal cake and the panty liner? Fookin celebrity here. not.

Mikey P

Administrator
Lee Pemberton was an honor for sure

I slept in Ed York's bed

The MFA round table with Judson Jones, Jim Smith, Craig Jasper, Mike West and Gary Heacock was a classic..

Jimmy use to answer my phone calls

I played footsie with one of the Bruders..

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Martin King passed this month also, he was past president of RIA/ASCR/NIDR.

He was instrumental in advancing the restoration industry in training. He will be missed. I had a pricing class in Reno with him, I had the opportunity but I would have felt Cheezy asking for his autograph.

The list of those that are still with us would be too long to post. I've been privileged to have many greats as instructors. :cool:

http://www.randrmagonline.com/artic...-industry-mourns-passing-of-legend-marty-king

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If not for "Marty" King, my father would have never entered the disaster restoration business, and would have remained a carpet cleaner/dry cleaner.

Marty inspired Lee to take his (garment) dry cleaning skills and use them to restore valuable upholstery, draperies, and other textiles and to learn and experiment with new chemicals and techniques. I doubt he'd have become a trainer, and later a distributor, if not for what he learned originally from Marty, both in technical information and more important overall inspiration to strive for excellence and have pride in restoring things to "preloss condition"

The loss of both Frank and Marty hit Lee hard this week.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Who do you think the "up and coming" legends are of our generation? If this question were asked in 10, 15, 20 years, who do you think will be mentioned?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
ones that stick out for me are Ken Snow and Jim Eckman....John Olson...

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Jim Pemberton or Larry (aka Meat) yet..that is the only regret that I have for not going to Florida...hopefully one day.....

Bob Vawter and lockheart..Fred Boyle...and Richard..I can say I am glad that I got the chance to sit and have a drink with...look forward to doing it again..
seen Lisa once..would like to spend more time talking with here one day...would like to meet Jimmy one day ..still have a nervous twitch that wont go away since I had dinner with Marty...but I would do it again in a heart beat.........

hogjowl

Idiot™
Met JIm and came away JMA. Haven't met Pemberton yet ... either one. I'd probably last 2 minutes around Melon Head ... he's so freakin arrogant. Chevez aint too bad for a wetback.

Name
Danny Strickland
You weren't there.

You were drinking white zenfindale and hanging with Rawknee. I picked Gary Heacock up from the airport. It was record cold and some TM manufacturer pick up the bar tab on Friday night (shit his pants, but he paid it!!) I wasn't hang'n on yore jock like Rawknee, but we did shake hands upon introduction!

Not sure if you were at DooDaddy's Atlanta get together in 2001 called Show & Tell. Bob Savage had his Electro Scorcher in an Astro van and I think Cimex Ricky was around?

Reactions: Art Kelley
Name
Danny Strickland
Who do you think the "up and coming" legends are of our generation? If this question were asked in 10, 15, 20 years, who do you think will be mentioned?

Jim P, Mikey P, John O, Bill Yeadon, Jeff Cross, Nick of Jon Don, Rick Aranda, Mark Kling, Doyle Bloss.

If you notice all those above have been people who have help educate folks in our industry in one way or another. I've been privileged to shake each ones hand and call most friends.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I count myself very fortunate to have had such outstanding mentors so close by and so early on .
It was early '90s I first met Mr Lee Pemberton ..an extraordinary individual in many ways
His son ain't too bad either :winky:

along the way I've met lots of Wheels in the biz , big and small

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
to even have my name finagled on a thread like this totally make my life complete...thank you Jim...YOU were one of the guys on MY list!

but ain't it time to get off that raft...?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
First of all, for those of you who have given my father recognition, thank you. Working with, and being raised by him, has been a privilege.

Meg's question about "up and coming" legends made me think about what made these men, too many of whom have passed on, legends, and what different circumstances exist today and in the near future.

Those people who are already revered in our industry were known for:

Inventions
Technical Knowledge
(through training classes and/or writing)
Service (leadership in trade organizations, certifying bodies, etc)
Inspiration (Ralph Bloss's and Bill Bane's stars shine brightest as examples)

To have met or at least been aware of these people, cleaners had to attend trade shows, training classes, or read industry publications. That meant, of course, that only a small fraction of the cleaners at any given time were able to benefit from the contributions of these people directly.

Today and in the future, the internet and places like Mikeysboard allow cleaners who never would have or plan to travel to a function or read a journal to get to know these people who are innovating and inventing, sharing their technical knowledge, providing true service, and inspiring all those who read their words today.

Having "grown up with" most of the people mentioned in this thread, and knowing what they did to be seen as who they are now, makes it easier for me to see those "legends-in-waiting".

And yes, as stated above, more than a few are here.

Name
Danny Strickland
I failed to put Scott Warrington on the list of Legends whom have taught 1000's of cleaners. Scott has a dry witt that cracks me up.

If you never took a class from Steve Swan you missed a great one. Dinner and drinks with Steve was a hoot.

Jeff Bishop for those in the south probably taught more courses than anyone. He knew his shit, but I didn't care for his personality. Maybe I just didn't know him???

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Jeff Bishop for those in the south probably taught more courses than anyone. He knew his shit, but I didn't care for his personality. Maybe I just didn't know him???

Jeff recently retired, or as "retired" as anyone can really be from this business. He told me he'll still be making contributions in any way that he can.

I knew Jeff since I was a teenager, and though we didn't always get along, his intelligence, his encyclopedic knowledge of every facet of our industry, and the years of service he gave to it earned my respect and the respect of those who really knew him.

Jeff's sense of self confidence sometimes put people off, but I could give numerous examples of acts of kindness and generosity of spirit that he showed others, including me who was not always his friend, that speak to his character.

The debt our industry, and myself, owe him is beyond estimation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom