Looking at a new Cell phone.

FredC

Village Idiot
What do you have and why are you looking?

been using my HTC One X since 2012...........haven't seen anything that would make me "upgrade" yet.......

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I got the Xperia Z3 around October last year..

It is a great phone for me. Pretty clean android without all the unnecessary bloat ware..

Big enough and has a very good battery life. I used to carry chargers with me at all times. Now I can go all day and night without recharging.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
We have some kinda goofy samsung galaxy. The wife uses the "goofy stuff" facebook, internet, games for the kid, etc....

Way more than I need, only thing I need from my phone is for it to ring and be able to answer it. Ohhhhhh, wait, there is one cool thing I can do with the phone... Take credit cards!

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
6+

I have had Blackbarry's, several Androids so I am aware of the pros & cons of all platforms but Apples ecosystem, quality & service can't be matched, having Phones, Tablets, Computers, WiFi routers Apple TV etc seamlessly working together is magic, I can even unlock & drive my car with out keys (fob) as long as I have my iPhone.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
iPhone 6

Really an incredible phone but I wish they would have offered another 4" screen, like the 5. I don't think Apple should abandon the 1 handed super device that made them distinct.

Right now I'd probably go with the 5S or 6. Still the best smartphones on the market. Either will allow you to access a great camera, Facebook for managing biz page, Service Monster, and this board (still miss TapaTalk, so slick on iOS).

5S is probably almost free and the 6 starts at $199. Both I'd recommend upgrading the memory. These devices more than pay for themselves with their functionality so I'd get the one I really wanted without regard for price, assuming you get a deal on contract.

Reactions: Mikey P

FredC

Village Idiot
sheepaid.gif

Reactions: Goomer and Russ T.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Fierce Android advocate here.

Samsung continues to set the bar amongst Android phones.

I would not recommended anyone purchasing any Android based phone unless the full Samsung line has been closely considered as well.

One of my biggest gripes with Apple phones is the inability to easily (and without voiding the warranty) open the damn things and slap a fresh battery in them when the factory battery starts to loose it's pop.....which is inevitable.

Being stuck with a weakening battery, with no recourse, on such a modern, expensive phone is a travesty.

I laugh every time I see someone asking around for a Apple phone charger because there phone is dead, and I see it all the time.

Any cell phone battery should be freshened up every 6 months for ones own sanity, especially if one fires away at theirs non stop all day like I do.

Being "tethered" to a charger drives me nuts.

I rarely charge my S4 directly anymore.

One of the best things I have ever bough has been an external universal battery charger and a few extra batteries, which allows me to always have another battery actively charging via wall outlet or usb, and carry a fresh battery in my bag as needed.

It only takes a moment to open the back and slap in a full charged battery and be back to full capacity in 60 seconds.

Rarely need to swap it more than once a day.

So liberating.

71oHQaGn1jL._SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: SCC and Mikey P

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I owned a Samsung Galasxy S, S3, and S4 before ever owning an iPhone.

I decided to try the iPhone because I was tired of the glitches in each of my Galaxies. Each one, over time, would lock up (almost daily) to the point where I had to remove the battery and do a hard restart.

I don't think theres a 1 device that fits all perfectly. The bright, colorful display on the Samsungs is tough to beat. It's just nowhere near the quality machine that iPhone is. iPhone has incredible staying power too. Just look around and you will still see people using (and loving) 3+ year old iPhones. It is because these people are simply foolish sheep who don't know any better? Some might be, but it's worth trying one for a while to see how you like it. The initial switch between Android and iOS is frustrating because we get very used to the operating system on our phone.

I plug my iPhone into my Pioneer head unit in my work van from job to job while using navigation. I have NEVER run out of juice because this is my habit. I also do NOT charge it at night because it's unnecessary. I would consider myself a pretty heavy user.

The Non removable battery was a hang up I had before owning one. I thought my phone would lock up and I'd be up a creek. It's just not the case. I had my iPhone 5 lock up on me probably 4-5 times during 2+ years of hard use. It requires hard restart by holding the home button and the power button. Bingo, back in business.

It's not for everyone. Someone who values customization in their device will probably like the Androids better. If you are looking for dependability, SPEED (not numbers on a sheet, but real life quickness), an awesome camera, smooth scrolling and general "snappiness ", I still think Apple is at the top of the heap.

Reactions: Mikey P

Lefty724

Name
E
I have probably switched between more devices than anyone here. I have already had the new BlackBerry Classic and Passport but returned them after a couple of weeks. I also has the iPhone 6+, but the size was too big for me since I have smaller hands. The screen and battery of the 6+ are probably the best I've used, besides the BB Passport.

Right now I'm very torn between my iPhone 6 and my Galaxy S5.

Apple has the best software period. Their OS is seamless and just plain works. The camera and efficiency is what keeps an Apple in my pocket at all times. The battery on my iPhone 6 is ok at best. I have to charge it every night.

Android is also very good software. The bright screen, swype feature, removable battery, and feel is better than my iPhone imo. I can easily get 2 days of battery life on a charge and I consider myself a pretty heavy user.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either device. Try and play with both and see what fits your lifestyle best.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
You throw it often?
sometimes hahahaaha which makes this https://www.goballisticcase.com/ a MUST

or if you need a bigger battery http://zerolemon.com/

As far as people keeping their apple phones for so long....ITS THE DAMN PRICE!!!!

of course I am usually against the "thing" at the time...and i-products are no diffferent.... Their our shit dont stink attitude drives me up the wall...which leads the sheep mentality...

I like tweaking with my phone sometimes (rooting) not as much as some, but still like to be able to if so desired...

which is why i stepped away from the Sammys....their stupid knox code bugged me...

steve_64

samsung rugby pro. it has the gorilla glass and is waterproof to 6 feet or toilet depth.

ive dropped it on concrete a couple times and chipped the corner but after a year not even a scratch on the glass.

works great for me. my favorite phone thus far.

Name
Lee Stockwell
samsung rugby pro. it has the gorilla glass and is waterproof to 6 feet or toilet depth.

ive dropped it on concrete a couple times and chipped the corner but after a year not even a scratch on the glass.

works great for me. my favorite phone thus far.
I killed two Rugby phones. "Military spec"..lol FRENCH military maybe.

Lefty724

Name
E
You guys have inspired me. I have taken out the Sim card out of my iPhone 6 and popped back into my Galaxy S5 for this week.

At the end of the week I will report back my pros and cons.

Reactions: Russ T.
Name
Lee Stockwell
You guys have inspired me. I have taken out the Sim card out of my iPhone 6 and popped back into my Galaxy S5 for this week.

Argh
Changing the SIM card allows you to operate, but doesn't move contacts, calendar, and such without a lot of work.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
android user since the original galaxy which at the end of its life was sluggish.
even dropped my s2 into a tub of water - dried it out and still runs to this day.
tried the note 2/3 line and im hooked!

waiting for the note 5 around sept this year. 4k res screen and rumoured 21mp camera :D yes plz!

Reactions: kingjoelking

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar

Exactly what I did for a while between the original iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S4 (now my wife's phone).

Definitely pros and cons to both. It might be helpful to go back and forth a couple times. I found the initial switch from one to the other frustrating but worth feeling them both out. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

I wish you could do that with Truckmounts and tools...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom