More Heat

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I'm looking at my options to get more heat out of my truck. I'm currently running a White Magic Pro 1900 with a 5.9 blower. My downfall is that it can't keep the heat up with my my 12 Flow Ti or Zipper. I've been thinking about adding a propane burner to boost the heat. What do you guys think? Those that have done this would you do it again and are there any tips or trick that you would suggest. Would you just use Propane to boost the heat or get a bigger unit and do away with the heat exchanger? Any and all input would be appreciated.

Name
BradFenstermaker
I can get 210-220 with 09 flow out of my LG 3. The #4 LG is a considerable larger unit.

Do you have room on the drivers side behind door to put the propane tank?

Name
Marcus
I went thru this 8 years ago....gotta go with kero heat..
It is the best and safest heat ...pull trigger full throttle and leave it down it will never lose heat no more triggering....
Northern tools is the least expensive...1500$. And worth every penny..
Also kleanline heater units..I have the tel. Number if you need it.
I got rid of my heat exchangers and never regretted it...best investment I made on my equipment.....
Cap

Name
Marcus
I went thru this 8 years ago....gotta go with kero heat..
It is the best and safest heat ...pull trigger full throttle and leave it down it will never lose heat no more triggering....
Northern tools is the least expensive...1500$. And worth every penny..
Also kleanline heater units..I have the tel. Number if you need it.
I believe kleanline is up there in ny but they will ship..the advantage to kleanline isthey have dc and the units weigh a little bit less.....
I got rid of my heat exchangers and never regretted it...best investment I made on my equipment.....
It will double your cleaning capacity especially for commercial tile and gum....
Cap

Mike Draper

my little giant #4 will sustain 240 atw or on my hoss indefinitely as well. I dont run it that hot, but i can if needed.

Name
Marcus
I think propane is fine....
The advantage of kero is it burns hotter and safer as a liquid.....easier to fill.....
Also flame turns off when the trigger is off......
However propane is 100 percent better than eny heat exchanger on any machine.......
The difference is seen in heat when you use a zipper or rx 20 or tile full throttle for 30 minutes without letting go of the trigger..........heat exchangers not hold over 5-6 flow...
I use 13 flow on my zipper and 14 flow on my ti wand......
Cap

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
The advantage of kero is it burns hotter and safer as a liquid.....easier to fill.....
However propane is 100 percent better than eny heat exchanger on any machine.......
The difference is seen in heat when you use a zipper or rx 20 or tile full throttle for 30 minutes without letting go of the trigger..........heat exchangers not hold over 5-6 flow...
Cap
What's the size of your kero heater?

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Are you guys running propane only or running it in addition to your heat exchanger?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I boosted a machine with propane. I used a little giant. Just boosting the heat was fine but when I just used the propane I blew through it fast. I think the belly tank was 12 gallons and it was gone in 2-3 days Refilling was not convient here. Diesel is a better choice for me because it's available everywhere. Much hotter also. Personally I don't believe you need that much heat to clean unless your cleaning restaurants. I cleaned plenty of carpets with cold water with no problem. The male ego spends money needlessly but hey I get it.

Gene

Name
Marcus
Those kero heaters are rated at btu's...I will hafta check...I believe either 330 btu
It will give you 180 degrees above water temp.
They are made for pressure washers at 4 gpm....carpet cleaners use ....1 -1/2 GPm without triggering
Northern tools has 2 at 230 lbs-310 lbs.1500,2000$.....
Don't need any additional heat!!
Also call kleanline I talked with him last year and he has stainless steel kero heaters....
My heater Size is about 38" x 29" x 38"tall weighs 310 lbs
Ther new one is more compact 29"x22"x22" weighs 230 lbs

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I don't have the space in my van to put one of those Kero heaters. I think I can squeeze out enough room to put a little giant. The decision is what size? I'm sure I can get away with just boosting with a 2ht or do I get rid of the exchanger and go with a 4ht. I'd hate to buy the 2 and something goes south on the exchanger leaving me wishing for the 4 but on the other hand idk if I'd even like running propane so maybe the 2 is better for the smaller investment. Anyway my local gas station that I get most of my fuel from also fills propane so filling isn't a huge issue.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I have a #3 little giant mounted on a hand truck like this -
40fd7465-4373-47cb-a775-cedd517bf8a5.jpg

Whenever we do restaurants we load it in the van with a 20 pounder of propane. To get it to fire we turn the temp on the truck down. The extra heat makes a big difference. We also run a cds unit

Reactions: Art Kelley

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
What's the limit on the incoming water temp? If I just go with it as a booster I would set it up so I can bypass the lg and only use it when I actually needed the extra heat.

Name
Marcus
These are the specs:
Little giant 2 ht 65 btu
3 ht. 120 btu
4 ht. 180 btu
Kero heaters start at 320 btu
Little giant has smaller base but you hafta put in the tank and may take up more room than the kero heater

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
I'm not sure what the limit is on the incoming water temp, this is some information from LG's site on the 3HT

150 GPH (60°R) = 2.5 GPM (60°R)
90 GPH (100°R) = 1.5 GPM (100°R)

I figure if I turn the temp down to get 170 degree water into the LG and am getting between 60 - 100 degree rise its all good.

Name
Marcus
Oh I forgot little giant coils are not rated at high water flow pressure...maybe 1-2 GPm....1500-2000psi
Kero heater coils are rated at 4-5 GPm 4000psi....they are made durable for pressure washers...
I have heard of these little giant coils bursting under pressure!!

Name
Marcus
Either way you gotta sacrifice room in the van for more heat...can't have both...
But if your heat exchanger gives less than a 2 ht little giant...
That comes out to 20-30 percent the heat of a kero heater.....

Name
Lee Stockwell
You can change the fuel nozzle jet to dial in the K heater to your needs. $5 part.

I have a 440k btu K heater, sounds like a jet when it fires. Complete overkill for carpet cleaning to the point of being dangerous.

I'm grateful our 405's have very reliable HX systems that get as hot as needed with no hassle.

Reactions: Art Kelley
Name
Marcus
Some would say a 5.9 blower is overkill...
But I say the more vacuum the better...the more heat the better...
If your heater and your vacuum can handle 14-16 water flow that's 2 times the cleaning as a wand with 6-8 flow
Zipper rx 20, tile, gum returants, rentals all need sustained heat and massive water flow.
I haven't used any gum out removal since I got kero heat, I also do all my resturants in the mornings 7-9 and have to dry them before opening....couldn't do it wo the heat.

Reactions: jwfoulk12

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm looking at my options to get more heat out of my truck. I'm currently running a White Magic Pro 1900 with a 5.9 blower. My downfall is that it can't keep the heat up with my my 12 Flow Ti or Zipper. I've been thinking about adding a propane burner to boost the heat. What do you guys think? Those that have done this would you do it again and are there any tips or trick that you would suggest. Would you just use Propane to boost the heat or get a bigger unit and do away with the heat exchanger? Any and all input would be appreciated.

What is your lift set at and would making sure that is working properly generate more heat say from your Blower?

I know with our Butlers (even couple older ones without high heat) making sure they lift is hitting its 15 hg allowed mark helps.

We took out the cotter pin from the pop off and just put another nut on it to create a lock nut.

Just have to check the lift and make sure not over as well as reaching an optimum safe for your system level.

Picture of the locking nut on our pop off

2014-11-01153256_zpsd5bf61de.jpg

Reactions: dgardner

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
My unit doesn't have a blower heat exchanger, just a preheater using the coolant and then the other exchanger using the engine exhaust.
I've found about 15 inches of floor space in the back corner of my van I figured I could put a little giant with an underbelly tank. The Ht is rated at 1300 psi and they now have one rated at 2200 psi. I think the ones blowing the coils would be the ones only rated at 600 but I could be wrong.
For those running Kero does it soot up your van?

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
63b17d8cb5e9ed54fc30e3675d0b8431.jpg

Here's a pic of the back of my van. On the right side I'll move my fresh water reel and those pump ups and can gain a little space for an auxiliary heater.

Name
Marcus
Kerosene heat will not soot your van but using deisel will...big differnce I have used both...
However you still need to vent the kero heater.....
Propane might work but you gotta get the bigger one and deal with the tanks....
Question is why do you have 4 floor tools ....hoss cx15 and host...when all you need to use is that zipper in the back...lean outyourfloortools and put your heater in would be my suggestion...
I put a kero heater in a mini astro van so it's possible

Name
Marcus
The difference is seen in heat when you use a zipper or rx 20 or tile full throttle for 30 seconds without letting go of the trigger..........heat exchangers not hold over 5-6 flow...
Cap

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I like having options. I wouldn't wanna ever be without my rotary. The zipper would go before I'd give up the rotary. I like also having the crb, it's a very versatile tool. I don't need the cx-15 often but when I do I'm glad I have it. The same with the zipper. I can get away without it in residential and only throw it on when I'm doing commercial but again there's times in a residential setting where I want it. But all that aside I can't really put anything permanent in the center of my van, my reel folds down so I can access my unit to work on it. I've got 18 inches or so there where the fresh water reel is that I got put a little giant and then throw a belly tank where the spare tire goes under the van. My question is should I get a 2ht and boost my heat exchanger or get a 4ht and just replace it?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
Oh and I've also gotta be able to throw the Cimex in there for larger commercial work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom