Need a new Scheduling program

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm need to change to a new scheduling program. The only feature I don't like about my current one is the search function. Something is wrong with it and it doesn't find every customer. I want something that I own. I don't do the cloud. I also think it's silly to pay monthly. I would happily pay 2-3 k for it. Currently testing customer appointment manager pro. It's compatible with quick books but I don't like the layout. It has to many things that I just don't like. Any other ideas. I'm using and have been doing so since 95 the Day Time organizer from Sharp. It's from back when I use to carry the little pocket scheduler.

Gene

Mikey P

Administrator
6485166855_0a07eb5e6e_z.jpg

Reactions: Ken692

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'm not interested in cloud based or monthly fees. But thanks. I prefer to own it.

Gene

good luck then.. let us on MB know when you are ready to learn the advantages of the cloud. ie. SM

btw-- the search capabilities of any data base will be hindered by input error or variables: ie.
1st name first or Last.
Is it Christine, Kristine, or Chris. Rebecca or Becky. Street or St.

I just spent 2 days merging duplicate accounts with these variables-- something I do about 3 times a year.

FredC

Village Idiot
You guys do realize he can make his own "cloud" right? That there is software with far more features, maturity, support, etc than the saas/cloud offerings mentioned in this thread?

I'm not saying those are bad.......................just that he isn't necessarily choosing the obsolete here

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
You guys do realize he can make his own "cloud" right? That there is software with far more features, maturity, support, etc than the saas/cloud offerings mentioned in this thread?

I'm not saying those are bad.......................just that he isn't necessarily choosing the obsolete here

How many times has Gene mentioned not having enough time to eat, let alone install an 870 that sat for six months in his shop.....
How long does a cloud take to build?

FredC

Village Idiot
to answer the question though not that long..........install capable software on computer....................use companion app to access your computer in the field........

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I was told "The Cloud"-- is just someone else's computer with more storage and speed then yours-- And what Lee said.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I can't really suggest any of them because I have no experience with them but you might want to look at software in the intuit marketplace

http://marketplace.intuit.com/v2/i-service/f-field-services-management/software-solutions.aspx

Currently test driving one from intuit. I might just go to google calendar. Works and is compatible with quick books. There is no reason to have to pay a monthly fee for a program. My problem with the cloud is very simple. Computers crash and servers go down. I'm just not interested. It's not a matter of if but when. Heard of viruses. Nobody is safe from them. Companies go bankrupt and close all the time. Then what? Do you think they are going to care if you get your customer files. Dream on. Anybody here remember the computer company carpet master. They wrote a great program exclusively for us. I tried it and loved it. Where are they?

I did find a program written for this industry but to buy it I would have to be a little underhanded which I'm not comfortable with. The company signed an exclusive agreement, which the salesman said don't worry it's easy to get around. It would cost 4k. Still if you add up 80 a month since 1995 that's 19,200. Im old school , I just prefer to own the program and have a hard copy.

Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
How many times has Gene mentioned not having enough time to eat, let alone install an 870 that sat for six months in his shop.....
How long does a cloud take to build?

I Carry my lap top. I don't need a cloud.

I ran two helper last week and what a blessing. One of the guys is from this board. He came down and worked for me. He can mention his name is he wants. I really need to add another truck but that's another thread. The 870 sat at my dealers shop, just for clarity.

Gene

Reactions: Mikey P

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Upgrades to software can be more expensive than monthly fees. Plus you have to wait for upgrade to be released.

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Well, I'm moving into my farmstead this weekend (truth). Zombies, pandemic, nukes, aliens, commies, and general grid collapse. I'm covered!

Oh you meant ServiceMonster. Oh yes. The entire world wide system would need to collapse for us to loose any data. And even then, we have 4 hours to he back up and running or we lose our corporate accounts.

Reactions: smastio and Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I'm need to change to a new scheduling program. The only feature I don't like about my current one is the search function. Something is wrong with it and it doesn't find every customer. I want something that I own. I don't do the cloud. I also think it's silly to pay monthly. I would happily pay 2-3 k for it. Currently testing customer appointment manager pro. It's compatible with quick books but I don't like the layout. It has to many things that I just don't like. Any other ideas. I'm using and have been doing so since 95 the Day Time organizer from Sharp. It's from back when I use to carry the little pocket scheduler.

Gene

Not too many desktop versions nowadays

But here is one that integrates with desktop quickbooks http://www.smartserviceinfo.com/#/

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
Service Monster syncs with quickbooks and Google Calendar so you have the best of both worlds, Invoices download rather smoothly. We have several routes set up with several google calendars. It is a great value in my opinion.

My only concern is that I am outgrowing it and will have to move to something that will allow me to use a task oriented workflow that will keep track of every interaction and every task that can be linked to a client's account or a specific resource (employee). Service Monster is very good but can be cumbersome when dealing with tasks. I am looking at e-synergy from Exact Software but the price is high.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Well, I'm moving into my farmstead this weekend (truth). Zombies, pandemic, nukes, aliens, commies, and general grid collapse. I'm covered!

Oh you meant ServiceMonster. Oh yes. The entire world wide system would need to collapse for us to loose any data. And even then, we have 4 hours to he back up and running or we lose our corporate accounts.
So, you're saying you don't have your server in some guys bathroom in Utah?

Reactions: jkowalski

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
This whole thread is a great example how you make it hard on yourself trying to reinvent the wheel.

SM has its short coming but for 2-5 trucks you will be hard pressed to find a better all around customer management and marketing program.

One question: Why would you want to have the security risk of having your business on a laptop that can fail or be stolen?

Ok two questions: Why would you want to have to continually back it up to keep it secure?

David I am not trying to bust your chops but if you are trying to go to a second truck and crew with the possibility you might get off the truck this is the stuff that stops people from that goal. Nice run on sentence but got to go!

I left the office today 5 different people using SM and no one had to think is our data safe and secure.

Last edited:

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
I used to like Act!! Before I went cloud based. http://www.act.com/products/act-premium/

They really want you to go cloud based. But still sell user lisc. $500 per user Lisc.
Its an Amazing sales CRM. And it works great for scheduling also. I know it is google compatible. but dont know how well it compatibles.

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yes, i used ACT forever. Maybe 12 years but it became dated at some point.

The benefit of the cloud is you get new features all the time instead of waiting for yearly- 18 month updates.
But if that doesnt interest you like Gene then software is the way to go.

Downside to cloud its not as stable as software, every program has some annoying little bugs from time to time.

One is not safer than the other, its a wash. Just as easy to break into a cloud program as steal a laptop.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom