New Disaster Restoration Start -Up

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Update on my new start-up Disaster Brigade, USA

February of 2014, I started a new business after having sold my old business AERODRY Disaster Restoration to my ex. I had been out of the game for about 6 – 8 months when I decided to re-enter. By the way, they are doing very well and my eldest daughter works at the business for her Mother, which is pleasing.

My new business is EXPEDRY, LLC. This business was formed to specialize in mitigation and drying services, which frankly are my favorite and historically the most profitable. After about three months, I had an epiphany and decided to rename the business as Disaster Brigade, USA a DBA of EXPEDRY, LLC.

The grand vision is to one day have national coverage for veteran owned businesses, with 15 to 20 percent being non – veteran owned. We have recently signed our first member who owns the St. Louis Metro area. The owner Jim Seubert is a 30 industry veteran and a military vet of 10 years – 2 branches. Jim has a 23,000 square foot facility and mine (rented) is 5,000 feet.

Here is what has been done to date to generate work;
  • Outbound calls – I make a minimum of 20 outbound calls per day to commercial prospects. During the call I ask for an email and then send the contact a brief bio and a direct link to my website for review. www.disasterbrigadeusa.com So far the response from the commercial sector has been very positive, though no work has been generated up to this point from those contacts. Many institutions have given the green light that when and if they have a loss, we will be their provider. I have established a contact procedure so that each is touched one time per month to stay top of mind and in the loop.
  • Property/facility managers - have also been contacted, followed up with a personal visit and cookie/doughnut drops in custom boxes on scheduled visits.
  • Insurers - I continue to contact via telephone every mutual insurer that serves the state of Missouri. To date there are 3 very large ones that have indicated that they have sent all of my information out to their field adjusters and recommended, or given the Blessing to call on us as a trusted resource.
  • Billboards - I had ran billboards for 6 months in and around my hometown of Jefferson City, Missouri. As most know, tracking ROI is imperative when it comes to marketing and sales. However, billboards are nearly impossible to track. The reason for the billboards (now discontinued) was to let people know that I was no longer associated with my prior business. Through my 23 years with my last business I had built a decent sized following, therefore I felt it necessary to ensure that people knew I had started a new business.
  • Press Coverage – We have been featured at times square and 15 -18 national publications and there is no plan to stop anytime soon. We are hoping to get as much free exposure as we can to build the brand.
  • Vehicle wrap – I have one vehicle wrapped and it garners a great deal of attention wherever I go. The hope is that over time the brand will grow through the wrap. I have a new 16 box truck that remains un-wrapped at this time. I am simply waiting for more work to be generated.
  • Radio – I have been running a steady stream of radio advertisements on a talk radio channel KWOS 950 A.M. I have completed 2 confirmed jobs that were a result of the radio. Both jobs combined is still way less than my advertising cost have been.
  • Magazine – I have just completed a 6 month run with a full page, full color advertisement in a very classy rag (City Magazine) that is distributed to the higher end residents, as well as businesses. I have no ROI tracking numbers to share on this advertising format.
  • Personal contacts – I have been on an accelerated meet and greet program with influencers in mid-Missouri. Rotary, Westside and Eastside Business associations, chamber of Commerce and a couple of other groups. I have also been visiting agents to learn if they are the referral types.
  • Old Contacts – I have reached out to many of my old insurance agent/adjuster contacts to re-build on the relationship I once had. It’s amazing how quickly one is forgotten when out of the game for even the short time I was out. The good news is that I am beginning to make some headway with rebuilding those relationships.
  • SEO – We work diligently in growing the business through all that organic/SEO stuff. I am fortunate to have what I consider an exceptional web guy helping out, otherwise I would be lost.
  • Facebook – This is an area of weakness for me, but it is on the radar and we will hopefully be taking a closer look at this avenue in a month or so.
  • Linkend – This has been pretty good for us so far. I have made some great connections with some people of influence. I try to communicate via messaging and occasionally a telephone call through that site to discuss business.
  • Post Cards – For the first 6 months we mailed out thousands of 6 x 9 full color cards to selected verticals. Next mailing will be the first of February. Like billboards, this has been a bit difficult to track for ROI, but I do know that it has raised awareness to many. I know this by doing routine telephone follow-ups about receiving the post card and doing a simple telephone inquiry to introduce myself.
  • Lunches – I have made it a habit to do lunch at least three times per week with men and women of influence. The luncheon thing is not new to me, just much different conversationally and with whom I invite to lunch. I learned a great deal form the book Titled - Never Eat Alone.
  • CEC classes for the insurance community – If Gods willing and we are still afloat, this spring will mark the first CEC program for insurance agents. I had great success with this in the past and anticipate the same this go-around.
When I first re-entered, my plan was to build a model similar to Paul Davis Restoration and sub out a large part of new business to other qualified operators. Too my chagrin I had to take on 3 fire damage jobs since re-opening. I have had the good fortune of having 2 of Mikey’s board members assist me on several water damage projects.

While I continue to add additional equipment to my arsenal, I still plan working closely with these two companies and others on the extraction and carpet cleaning type services.
I had always wondered what I would do differently if I ever got out and then got back in.

The truth is that at times it seems like a cakewalk, other times it has been difficult rebuilding. However, Failure is not an option in my case!!

The one thing that I have always wondered about, but never confirmed until recently is that the commercial drying space is largely un-tapped.

In closing, I hope everyone wishes me luck and success, as I have done quietly many times through these boards as I read stories of new start-ups.

Ivan

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Nice! When you get done can you come down to get mine cranking too?

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
Jeremy this go around has been very tough. We had been counting on a harsh January and wouldn't you know it, the winter thus far has been like spring. None the less, we Press forward. Bill - Thank You

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Today's paper said we've had one of the mildest winters on record so far. Just over 3-inches of snow when we are usually over 12 by now. Its been in the 60's this week and tomorrow 70° :eekk:

Not exactly pipe break weather but its been damn nice for January! :cool:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
In closing, I hope everyone wishes me luck and success, as I have done quietly many times through these boards as I read stories of new start-ups.
Best wishes, Ivan! As we've discussed you are taking on a huge task. But I know you need to follow your dream.

Steve

PS Hey, Ivan, if things don't work out you can always fall back on your not-so-profitable career of being a (very) eclectic but highly honored guest Columnist on the SFS website!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom