Not the same old 'lead tech' pay structure question....

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We are possibly restructuring our Lead Tech pay scale. I know there are several ways to do it and we are vetting that out.

What I want to know is, what are the expectations/responsibilities of your Lead Tech in exchange for their compensation?

• How many hours are they typically working per week?
  • Are they "just on the truck" doing sales and the cleaning or do you have other responsibilities for them? If so, what are they?
  • Is it a one man crew or does the lead tech have an assistant?
  • How do you handle it when the "lead tech" is on the truck with the owner sometimes?
  • Is your lead tech responsible for all truck maintenance, inventory, ordering supplies?
  • What type of paperwork or administrative duties to they have?
  • Any other thoughts/insight?
TIA...

Meg

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
How many lead techs do you have? What responsibilities do you want them to cover? If you only have 1 lead tech he would be worth more than the average tech if you had 10 of them you wouldn't have all of them ordering supplies. In fact I wouldn't put that on any tech. I would say a lead tech working with the owner should still be paid lead tech wages. Just my 2 cents after working for a good size SS.

Mikey P

Administrator
How many hours are they typically working per week?- Far more than 40
Are they "just on the truck" doing sales and the cleaning or do you have other responsibilities for them? If so, what are they?, clean the trucks, maintain to a point, you better trust them big time to do it all
Is it a one man crew or does the lead tech have an assistant? single at times, doubled up on big projects/days
How do you handle it when the "lead tech" is on the truck with the owner sometimes?- pay them the same or their pissed, how valuable are they to you?
Is your lead tech responsible for all truck maintenance, inventory, ordering supplies?- Let hubby do that stuff. It's his biz right?
What type of paperwork or administrative duties to they have? Entering job an payment info
Any other thoughts/insight? is he a lead tech or just a super helper?

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
is he a lead tech or just a super helper

That, there in, is the conundrum....

At times he is on the truck with our part time guy running the show (at most 2 days per week). Usually with John (owner), but when they are together, it's a Dynamic Duo. He can seal the deal when John can't.

However, has time constraints due to personal life needs. Typically working 34-40 hours. Can't work past certain time each day (4-5 pm depending on the day) No weekends.

Knowing all this, is it a $45-50k per year position?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Knowing all this, is it a $45-50k per year position?
The kid could be worth it, only you would know his value to the company.

Its sounds like a lot for a carpet cleaning tech, even if he is a lead. I think you'll have to judge him by what he brings to the company. If he is earning by bringing extra income into the company, then pay the man.

However if you feel you're being held hostage by the situation, I'd start looking for his replacement. The next guy may not be quite as good but he also may not have the hourly restriction this tech does.

I never mind paying the guys that earn it. I hate to pay those that "need it, want it" but don't earn it.

Reactions: PrimaDonna

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Knowing all this, is it a $45-50k per year position

So then, for the company's that do pay a tech in this range. What are they doing to earn this (lots of upsales and a commission)? How much are they working in a week, nights, weekends, on call?

My research shows that it's usually a production manager of a restoration company that pulls in this kind of $$. Someone who is managing the project/site and the employees. Writing up insurance work etc. We aren't doing restoration work. No jobs in the Tens or 100's of thousands. No 50- 60 hour weeks. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there are carpet cleaning techs that are earning this kind of money working 40 hours or less? If there are, I'd love to know about it.

Just like pricing, I know not to base it on what "others" are doing. We are willing to be a bit outside the box and I know my COGS etc. and what we can afford to do. However, what we can do in exchange for what we get in return is what we are wrestling with.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My research shows that it's usually a production manager of a restoration company that pulls in this kind of $$. Someone who is managing the project/site and the employees. Writing up insurance work etc. We aren't doing restoration work. No jobs in the Tens or 100's of thousands. No 50- 60 hour weeks.
You are right for us. Our supervisors are in that ball park. They have a lot of responsibility and they do pull down those kind of hours regularly. They manage projects "from cradle to grave" do some actual field work when required but basically manage people.

Our carpet cleaners (we only have a couple that primarily clean carpet) are making half that but then they don't upsell much of anything either.

Reactions: PrimaDonna

Ron K

Meg why not pay based on what he does(produces). On his own X with owner Y just a helper Z. Should be easy to monitor and implement and explain to him...that is if he is worth it to you at the graduated pay scale. We are not there yet and just getting by with part timers. but soon we will be feeling your pain. argh!

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Meg why not pay based on what he does(produces). On his own X with owner Y just a helper Z. Should be easy to monitor and implement and explain to him...that is if he is worth it to you at the graduated pay scale. We are not there yet and just getting by with part timers. but soon we will be feeling your pain. argh!

The payroll nightmare that would be trying to figure that out each week.

Good in theory, but we used to do hourly and commission in the past with a tech. It was a nightmare trying to figure that out. And with your suggestion, 3 different rates. Oh my!!!

Other issue is request for pay to be consistent each week for budgeting purposes. The monthly or quatertly bonus is not favorable for them. Everyone wants it all and they want it now!!! I'm weighing that if its all going to end up being the same anoint by the end of the year anyway.

Ron K

At times he is on the truck with our part time guy running the show (at most 2 days per week). Usually with John (owner), but when they are together, it's a Dynamic Duo. He can seal the deal when John can't.
It might be a little of a PIA but give him more when he is on his own( and hopefully making your company more profit) and see if he runs with it, if not then you know exactly what you have. Plus if he says he wants more you can show him how to do it.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Meg, Don't let your employees tell you what they need , it is a never ending process. Throughly research your P/L and figure out what you can afford to pay your employees. Set the comp rate and if he doesn't like it start looking for an employee that will work without bringing his life's drama to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom