Oil additive

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
replaced the water pump for the second time on the a15. Not bad I guess for the hrs. I noticed when I had the radiator pulled oil is leaking from everywhere. Other than pulling the engine and replacing all the gaskets ,which I already have, is there an oil additive that might help a little.

Gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Gene; If the engine has well over a thousand hours, I would switch to a thicker oil viscosity.
You could start with straight 30W and check for leakage.
Depending on your winter temps, you might even go to a heavier viscosity.

Larry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Additive that increase viscosity (STP or max-life oils) will reduce some leaking at the expense of cold-start lubrication. Solvent additives are designed to make gaskets soften and swell to stop leaks, but burn off and eventually make the leaky gaskets worse. You could try either one until you have a more convenient time to change the gaskets.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I did add the Lucas and it does help. I don't really want to pull the engine and overhaul it. Takes to much time and we don't have down time. It would have to get done over the weekend and I rarely have one that isn't spoken for already. If the oil pan could get pulled in place that would solve most of the issues, unfortunately it can't. My neighbor builds and races engines but doesn't want to fool with it. To bad, he's a great mechanic and has all the tools. It would be like new. I have all the gaskets but never have found the time,was hoping their was a new miracle product I haven't heard of.

Gene

Name
Lee Stockwell
Buy an identical spare to play with on down time, not that expensive.

I hate all leaks, oil is the worst...always an early warning. That motor won't quit otherwise.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Lucus works great at leaks. My old truck needs 2gaskets replaced but haven't had time. Always left a puddle of oil. Changed the oil and put lucus in and no more oil leak. I know its temporary but it buys you some time.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Buy an identical spare to play with on down time, not that expensive.

I hate all leaks, oil is the worst...always an early warning. That motor won't quit otherwise.
I found a site that has remanufactured a15. It looks a little different in the picture but I'm gonna call them.
http://www.wholesaleforkliftparts.com/product_p/a15.htm The right side has what looks like a a/c compressor but I don't think that would come with it.
Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom