Printers

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I need a new printer for the office. I have been buying HP but they only seem to last abut 2 years.

What are you using?????

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
371d85ef25670c378cd0de80a8a70451.jpg

Minolta magicolor 3100 laser.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've tried HP and cheaper (ink jet) printers and always had problems.
Till I switched to Dell printers that are heavier duty. Well worth the money. It actually will save you money as the cost of ink is a fraction of the cost of the cheaper printers.

Don't buy ink from Dell. You can get it at practically 1/4 of their price at Amazon or other suppliers and it's just as good
Here is one: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-ABPD
So far I've had it for about three years. Trouble free.

Don't buy anything from HP. Their customer service is a national (actually international) disgrace.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
And who makes it for HP? :eekk: :eekk:

I don't know who makes it for Dell, but when I had HP products, their customer service was pure hall of shame.
Dell's was great.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Small black and white laser is a brother all in one, full color laser is an Okidata and boy is it good.

Also have a smaller color laser Konica Minolta

rick imby

Name
Rick
I have four 8600 Officejet PRO from HP. around $250 when I bought them now around $150. I installed an $85 CIS that prints forever on a quart of ink. CIS means Continuous Ink System. You just keep adding ink to the bottle and it feeds the ink to the cartridge. If you are buying cartridges for this machine it is $32 for a 2500 page cartridge---this is the best HP value per page. We print about a box of paper 5000 pages a month to month and a half. I cannot remember the last time I bought a bottle of ink---a gallon is around $100.

HP just came out with a bigger ink cartridge series of printers than the 950XL series (which fit my machines) that is 4 times the size but it is 3 times the price.

If you buy an HP be sure it is an officejet PRO. The cartridges on the Pro series are alway 3 to 4 times higher capacity than the other cartridges. You can only buy the HP Pro printers at Office supply houses. If you are using an officejet printer your cartridges are about 10 percent cheaper but are less than half the size. Yes Size matters big time.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

rick imby

Name
Rick
The lazer printers are 2 to 5 times more per page than regular cartridges in the 8600. Build quality on the laser printers is usually higher.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have a Brother MFC495-CW wireless printer that has been great for the 99 bucks I spent on it.

Considering one of those or something like it that is compact, and WIRELESS! Our home office hardly ever gets used. The PC is terrible and printer is @ 6 years old. We need something easy to print wirelessly from MacBook, iPhone, iPad, Android. Amazon has a lot of them to look at but I don't know which one to get. I've been on the hunt doing research this week and need to pull the trigger on something quick.

An old timer I worked for today doesn't have an email address and needs the invoice mailed.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I have been using epson printers for years. I purchase generic ink carts at 2 dollars each. Aside from cheap ink the best thing I like about it is speed. Compared to the printer before it puts out a sheet 3 times as fast. The model I use also holds 300 sheets of paper and will do envelopes from the back or paper tray.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
My experience with the cheaper printers was that I had to do a lot of babysitting and whenever I had to do a larger printing job, there was always an issue.
Spring an extra $150.00 - $200.00 or so more for an "industrial" (network) printer and you will not have to deal with that at all.

I have this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828200305R&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Laser Printers-_-N82E16828200305R&gclid=Cj0KEQjwidKiBRCevbT6yeqPrJQBEiQA1iM2WUtLWJTjpTRjLPTlomagJ_GvoLcMX2EHqs5cwo_0zbAaAvah8P8HAQ

Got it for a less in one of Dell's before (or after) Christmas sales.
Been using it for three years including large printings of about 1500 pages each, without a single problem. Worth every penny.

Laser printers have the lowest per page ink cost and you can get the ink much cheaper on Amazon.

I am sure HP and Brother make good printers too. I just had such bad experiences with HP's horrible customer service that I can't recommend a company that is so bad. Don't buy from companies that are notorious for bad service.

Dell's been great.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Al_Paulsen

We bit the bullet 3 years ago and leased a zero monster on a 5 year lease for 65 a month including everything. Have never had a problem. Our old Wax printers lasted about 2 years for 1500.00 plus ink. Will check other options when the lease is up buts it's great to NEVER be without a printer. Color is .08 per page so we really limit that.

rick imby

Name
Rick
My experience with the cheaper printers was that I had to do a lot of babysitting and whenever I had to do a larger printing job, there was always an issue.
Spring an extra $150.00 - $200.00 or so more for an "industrial" (network) printer and you will not have to deal with that at all.

Laser printers have the lowest per page ink cost and you can get the ink much cheaper on Amazon.

I am sure HP and Brother make good printers too. I just had such bad experiences with HP's horrible customer service that I can't recommend a company that is so bad. Don't buy from companies that are notorious for bad service.

Dell's been great.

Sorry Ofer you are way off base on the cost per page issue. Even if I was buying ink cartridges my HP 8600 is cheaper per page to print in Black. With a CIS system (or two as we do a lot of printing) an inkjet will be less than 1/10 the cost per page of your laserjet.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Brother MFC-8950. No problems after couple years and my wife being the underplayed school teacher is known to print a couple teems in a weekend. 12,000 page yield toner coct about 140.00 bucks. I had a HP all in one laser that was color, I can't remember the exact model anymore but with windows 7 coming out and the printer being under 2 years old HP decided to not support the drivers for it. No more HP in this household and besides the Brother has a WAY bigger toner capacity available.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Sorry Ofer you are way off base on the cost per page issue. Even if I was buying ink cartridges my HP 8600 is cheaper per page to print in Black. With a CIS system (or two as we do a lot of printing) an inkjet will be less than 1/10 the cost per page of your laserjet.
Sounds like you did your research and I wouldn't doubt it.
The cost of ink/toner that I read (CNET and PC world) is based on regular stuff, not on specialty cartridges.

I always use color printers because all my printings have my logo + plenty of other colors in them. And all the ink printers that I owned in the past (including some expensive ones) could not handle the volume, broke down when I did large printings, needed a lot of babysitting while printing, tended to do smear as the ink would not dry fast enough (large printings), were slow and cost of ink (traditional) was much higher.

Just my experience: Got reed of inkjet printers, bought heavier duty color laser and it's been smooth sailing for me ever since.

But than I'm not much for fiddling with my equipment. I like simple dependable machines that do not require much baby sitting. That's why I've had CDS's and Pro-1200. I know my limitations.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
We also use the HP 8600 Plus all in one. I didn't know what to expect from a machine that would do everything. It's a good fit in our small office and the wireless feature is nice to. It was a big step forward from making copies with a dated Brother fax machine.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'd get it, Russ.

We had a fancy laser printer a few years ago, got the laser because I thought I'd be printing postcards, flyers, etc. all the time. Well not so much. Turns out it's easier to have it done, And I don't have to spend month learning/designing crap.

Gave up on it(laser) after needing toner(400$)! Half the cost of a new one...

We got an inkjet after that(cannon mx870) about the price of yours in the link. It's great, scanning is soooo cool. Sucks buying ink, but that's life. Keep your settings on grayscale and you'll save some ink.

Reactions: Russ T.

smithbrothers

Name
Matt Brammer
Don't worry about the printer cost or failure. They cost next to nothing and are easily replaced. What I worry about is how much does it cost per page of printing for the ink. Buy your new machine by finding one with the spec's you want and has the LOWEST cost per page of printing.

Matt
Smith Brothers of Snohomish
www.smithbrotherscarpetingcleaning.com

rick imby

Name
Rick
I don't have experience with the Epson cost per page. There is a CIS for that printer with ink for $80 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XPro-Series...61?pt=US_Ink_Refills_Kits&hash=item35de263eb5

It will take about 20 minutes to install the CIS the first time. Then when the ink gets low you just pour it into the bottle...

I have printed at least 50 boxes (50 x 5000 many of them double sided) of paper with the CIS systems I have added to my HP printers through the years. I wish I could still get the old HP 5600 series printer.

I don't care about Color quality and I don't use this for printing pictures however it would print the contrasting colors of most logos just fine.

Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick
The ebay seller of this item --I do not know him at all-- has sold 5 of these in the last two weeks. His feedback says his systems are awesome. 400ml of ink comes with the kit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom