pro 1200 owners...question

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan

My guys has been complaining about how loud the van is to drive with the 1200 in it. I finally took it for a test drive and it is much louder than when we bought it. Is this normal for the 1200's. I'll try posting a video but not sure it will do the sound justice. It is very loud in the cab.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Not necessarily. Does that particular noise go away or change significantly when you engage the pto clutch? That would point to the clutch bearing.

The sound definitely follows the speed of the engine. Look around for anything contacting the serpentine belt and stuff it drives (alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc.).

Pop the serpentine belt off and run the engine (just for a few seconds, no water pump!). If the noise is gone rotate each of the accessories by hand, you should be able to feel the component that is making the noise, rough or gritty feel.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The front electric clutch started whining for a couple years while driving, getting louder and louder until the radio wouldn't drown it out, so I had it replaced last summer. But that was after 10 years, not one.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
feel the component that is making the noise, rough or gritty feel.
Oh yeah, when turning each of the components don't forget the belt tensioner - there's a bearing in there too.

If the noise is still there even with the belt off then it is originating in the engine or transmission. I had a similar sound years ago (not a pto - just a regular vehicle) - and it turned out to be the starter. When you turn the key a solenoid pulls the starter bendix in to engage the gear. When you let go a hefty spring pushes the bendix back out of the way. The spring was broken, so the bendix rubbed on the starter gear when the engine was running. took a little while to find that one....

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
No noise when using the machine only driving. The noise comes from the shaft where its coupled at the boot. Its only a year old how could it be worn out already at a year old?

Reactions: Art Kelley
J

JS41035

Dude. My 16 year old pro2000 isn't that loud. You've got something wrong. That sounds like blower noise to me. That would be super simple to trouble shoot.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Can't tell Lee. It shouldn't be that loud just from vibrations I wouldn't think. Something's not right.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Justin I was driving the van not running the machine. When the machine is running there is no noise from the shaft

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
When the pto clutch is not engaged the pulley spins on a bearing. When you engage the clutch the pulley locks up solid to the shaft and the bearing no longer spins. If the noise goes away when you engage the pto clutch then your issue is almost certainly the clutch bearing(s).

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
The good news is the bearings can be replaced, and relatively inexpensively. The bad news is if you let it go until the bearings grenade then the clutch and possibly shaft could be damaged. Get it fixed sooner rather than later IMO....

Reactions: ronbeatty

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yup. Here's a pic. Its an AC clutch - same thing basically.

clutch.png

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Jasc Paint Shop Pro - had it for years. When I got a Win7 laptop I moved from my old machine. It starts up in "old" mode, but still works. I believe there's a newer version available, but as long as this one works.... :icon_cool:

Reactions: Art Kelley

Mikey P

Administrator
Marty, do you have any idea of just how great a chance you stand that the next truckmount you end up buying being manufactured by a "Brudered' owned company?

just some friendly advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom