Prochem Peak intermittent shutdown problem

Gordy

I run a ten year old Prochem peak, normally very reliable, however we are having an intermittent problem with the machine shutting down during normal cleaning operation. It can shut down numerous times during a job.

Mostly it just shuts down without any warning, although a few times I have heard the engine surging before cutting out. We are able to restart shortly afterwards.

It is summer over here and temperature is frequently around 85 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I don’t know if this is a part of the problem or not. Our van does have a ventilation fan.

I have had a mechanic look at the machine, however we have not been able to isolate the problem.

Can yanyone give me any suggestions as what might be causing an issue like this.

Many Thanks

Gordon Doull

Gold Carpet Cleaning Ltd

Palmerston North

New Zealand

hydracat

A fuel pump and a coil can stop working after getting hot. A coil generally wont start up right a way because it stays hot. The fuel in the pump cools the motor down quicker so it starts pumping volume again. That is of course if you have an electric fuel pump. I assume you checked the oil. If its low an your on an incline the oil moves away from the low oil sensor, shuts off the machine, and then runs back as the oil drains from the top end.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Check all the connections on the ignition switch.
Could be a coil.

Like Eric says.......I had a 405 Performer. Would just cut out. Wait a minute, would start right back up. Turned out to be a coil wire that would lose connection after warming up. Recrimpt the terminal, good as gold.

Gordy

Thanks for the replies. The machine has done a bit over 8000 hours and is ten years old. The oil is sitting on the full mark. Today was cooler and the truckmount did not cut out once, so may well be a heat related issue. I will take a look at the coil.

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Also check the fuel hose closely between fuel tank and pump. I replaced the hose because it split under the hose clamp and was losing prime.

It only happened when the temperature changed through the day and the hose expanded.

I have a Peak as well.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mostly it just shuts down without any warning, although a few times I have heard the engine surging before cutting out

It is summer over here and temperature is frequently around 85 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

intermittent problem with the machine shutting down during normal cleaning operation. It can shut down numerous times during a job.

Today was cooler and the truckmount did not cut out once,

heat related fuel vapor lock

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Charlie Lyman

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
With intermediate problems I move wire and hoses around with the machine running. Not the safe test thing but works. Check the fuel line for cracks or if it's the original it's time to replace. I'd also replace the wiring because they get brittle and some will get chafed edges. Wire barn has packs of 8 colors of quality hi temp wire. Next time it shuts off touch the fuel pump immediately. How hot is it.

Gene

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have had fuel vapor lock problems in the past but now I put 2 fuel pumps on all my machines. One down by the tank and another by the machine. Fixes the problem everytime. Never had an issue since.

If you dont want to do that, check the fuel lines. You may have one that sits on a metal part of the machine that gets hot. Get it off the metel and that may stop the problems. I had a machine that had a fuel line running across a metal part that got so hot it would boil water if you put it on there. I relocated the hose and stopped the fuel lock problem.

But I am telling you 2 pumps push the fuel on thru and it stops the problem.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom