Question for any wdr guys or Chavez

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Does anybody know if there has ever been a study done to determine how much drying time is saved by extracting more with the waterclaw? I know there are too many variables but I'm thinking every minute of extraction probably saves 2-3 hours of blower time. Maybe more?

Name
Nate W.
We've lived by the "extraction is faster than evaporation" rule...... If you can extract it within a reasonable amount of time, do it.... The water claw is slow but it does do a great job extracting.... Not sure if @kmdineen would know, he does know a lot!

Reactions: Mark Saiger

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We worked on a study several years back. Less than rigorous science but should be close to right. 1 minute with wand could removed same volume of water as 20 hours with dehumidifier. 1 minute with Water Claw on carpet with 1/2" pad removed same volume of water as 2+ hours with dehumidifer.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
In 2003 the Society of Cleaning and Restoration Technicians (SCRT) conducted a Water Extraction-efficiency Testing (WET) Study. This study paired different water extraction tools with different truckmount and portable vacuum blowers. Several types of carpets and carpet cushions were weighed, saturated, extracted and weighed again to determine how much water remained in the carpet and cushion after extraction. (1 800 949 4728 SCRT)

Every water damage class I have taken has always stressed remove as much liquid water as possible to decrease dry times.

Your are correct that there are too many variables to determine how much more drying time a poorly extracted carpet and cushion will take to dry. If you are drying a carpet and cushion "in place" or "top down" the drying time will increase significantly, blowing hot dry air over a carpet cushion and under a properly vented carpet, the drying time may only increase slightly.

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
Extracting as much water as possible as everyone has pointed out is probably the single most important piece of the dry equation. As each material is different; one tool does not suit every situation. I have been to a number of ASD schools. The American Drying Institute in Morristown Tn. does an excellent job comparing different brands of extraction equipment. Their particular test takes a square yard of carpet and pad. The carpet and pad are weighed dry and then again at complete saturation. Each tool (using the same truck mount and hose set up) extracts as much water as it can. The carpet and pad are then weighed again. The Water Claw is a good tool and so is the Rover, but the Extreme Extractor far out performed both of them in this particular test. One of the big reasons we are picking up Erik's Zipper is for it's ability to extract water from CGD where the other units aren't effective. Extraction is key; but even more important is using the best tool for the specific circumstance.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They just shipped our Zipper today. I will and let you know.

As you mentioned it will be a versatile tool to have. We have some more large commercial work Wed-Thursday but I'm not sure if it will be here by then.

Reactions: Big Jim
Name
Nate W.
truth? Its hard to but down the joy stick but I might have to pull out the Zipper. ;)

Your Zipper hasn't arrived yet but you like to play with your joystick? :lol:

I believe the Zipper will be faster and easier on CGD than the Rover...... As for the Xtreme-extractor, some people say the compression of the stainless steel roller will mess up the latex of the carpet depending on how long it sat wet....Those that say that were in favor or the Rover.....I would love a Rover....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom