Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
1.What do you expect from your distributor
2. What should they expect from you?
As long as you stay in business you'll always have a supplier

Mikey P

Administrator
If I came in and tried on some booties to see what size I needed but biurght themm from Zappos to save .5 cent instead, would you mind if I asked you to warranty the failed elastic band?

Reactions: Ed Valentine
Name
Lee Stockwell
Our nearest distributors are two hours away in Nashville. We've never been in a situation where we "needed" them, though I like to stop there if I'm in Nashville for something else.

Even if I had a machine under warranty it would have to be something dire before I risked being down.

Our strategy has been to have backups of everything, including a spare truck. That is not really expensive at all. Mostly identical machines.

The winter is almost over and I still have some work to do to be ready for August.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
You and Jason actually have a shop and someone that knows what they are doing. Most don't. If they live that far away from a distributor it can be difficult at times.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Mikey's Board has also been a big help, being able to network and share ideas. A few years ago even cleaners in mid-major markets felt a bit isolated and "on their own" when something went wrong.

It's getting better.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
I am a horrible customer. I dont really expect anything from my Distibutor. Im happy when they have the products I need. But i will shop to find the best price for my retail products.

I take that back. I expect my distributor to know how to work on my machine. And to stay up to date on what is happening with it. Because I bought my machine from them they are guaranteed more of my business but not all of it.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Do you save that much by shopping? How much time do you spend shopping? How much is your time worth?
It's always good to keep your supplier on their toes though.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Do you save that much by shopping? How much time do you spend shopping? How much is your time worth?
It's always good to keep your supplier on their toes though.

Im in a big market. there are at least 6 distributors in Phoenix Metro. not counting Janitorial supply. I go to 3 of them now. I work all over so I just stop by when im in the area. The one I bought my truckmount from gets about 75% of my business. Interlink gets occasional business. About the only thing I buy from them is Flex with Citrus and that only because I havnt paid attention to my chems enough to realize im out of Nitro. Otherwise i really dont go there any more.
In general just by generaly paying attention I can save at least 10% day to day and 20-25% by paying attention to when any of them have sales.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Most of my customers just come to my store for service or just to see us. We ship most of their products directly to them either by our own truck or UPS.
We try to keep them supplied and get them best deal without them having to do anything. It let's them concentrate more on their business.

steve_64

competitive pricing, knowledge of products, and a genuine concern for my success is huge to me.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Since you asked, I'll tell you.
You have a right to expect for me to give you all my business. Every bit of it. I can be very loyal, just ask TCS.

However, to earn that loyalty, I have a right to expect you to get you head out of you ass and provide me access to more than what the average apartment cleaning hack wants. If I can't get things like cuffs and glides, soft touch valves and tapered whip hoses from you, then I'm forced to go internet shopping.

It's up to you to determine if there are enough people out there like me to warrant changing what you stock.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I don't think that its is asking to much for the distributor to have things in stock that you need...Like I said in another thread...you can't expect for them to carry every little part..but key components should be mandatory for every machine that they work on...If a distributor is going to represent a manufacture..then they need to be able to back up the service...100%..no questions asked..and if they do not have the part...they had better have access to it in a timely manner...we can not afford for our machines to be sitting with down time....I also think that a manufactures that allows distributors to represent them should make it mandatory that they carry certain parts to be able to keep them running...it would be a win win for everybody involved....I would also expect there mechanic to have the proper training on machines and have the knowledge to be able to diagnose and repair problems that come up...not the hit and miss with new parts until you find the problem and you are getting charged each time until they get lucky...........it should also be the manufactures responsibility to offer training for mechanics on all new machines that come out....and continue to give up dated classes for new mechanics or any changes....
I would expect. you to carry the chemicals that I need..if your going to advertise them and tell me how great they are then damit...keep it on the shelf...consistency is the key...we also have to depend on that it is going to preform for use the same way every time e use it............I am not even going to get into the price...

we have to understand that we are not the only carpet cleaner out there and although we are in a hurry and want out stuff up and running we need to wait our turn and understand that other are there before us...

your going to get treated as you treat us and I am sure it goes both ways...business are built with trust more then money....build a good relation ship and the money will take care of its self.............

thats all I got.................

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If my supplier carries it I buy it from him. I never check prices. When I need or want something he gets first shot. In return when I have a question or need to go through his pile of stuff to build something I can. When I recored my radiator he left me pull one from an old machine. We both need each other. He's a great resource of information. if I find a product I like I try to get him to carry it.some he does some not. He needs to carry odorcide 210 but not yet.

He did fail a little on my blueline as I bought the link and program to diagnose any problems. he felt they should give it to him so I just bought the dang thing.
Gene

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I asked my supplier why he didn't have Duck Guards. He said he tried. Said the Duck Guard dude was too interested in something else to talk to him.

So, the point is, it's not always the distributors fault.

Mfgs can be as quirky as cleaners are.

Mikey P

Administrator
Next time ask him if he has "Dukguards"'..

You hillbillies take everything so literal, he may not have known what you were talking about..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I wish there was a great distributer in Central IA that I could pledge my allegiance to. Not one, to serve all of Des Moines and Ames. I get the jan san stuff in DSM though.

I've honestly thought about what it would take to get started but hands are full with The Clean Machine.

Most stuff comes from Interlink (Omaha) or Jon Don (Chicago maybe?) because they are closest.

Just ordered some Flash Cuffs and felt rings from Olson. Crazy fast from Utah, really.

The thing I'd like most is an awesome mechanic, who would install and maintain equipment as if it were their own.

I'm kinda considering Butler for the next rig so I can fix everything.

Price is important, but not as important as service. Get it to me fast, treat me like I matter, and be competitively priced and I'm pretty happy.

Odorcide Mike

Name
Mike Hershley
Gene, if you can hook me up with the distributor you are using, I'd be glad to send him samples and information about Odorcide. If his company qualifies, he can complete an application to become an authorized distributor. Thanks.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
being in Canada, its a challenge getting all the toys enjoyed in the US. When I was in Frisco at a course I stopped by CCS (I believe it is. May have been CMS, Jerry took me there) and they had all the new stuff, like glides, 2"wands, cuffs, etc. Greenie was there at the time. When I came back home and went into my supplier, they give me a funny look when I'm talking to them about glides, and cuffs, and Zipper, etc. Even their tech gave me a look as if I was stupid when I mentioned I used 15flow in my wand. They just don't stay up to date on the new trends and tools in the industry.
They carry their particular brands but nothing else. Some of those I like, some I don't.
What got me shopping across the border, ie shipping stuff up myself, is when the local supplier has what seems like an outrageous price markup. In the US a HF was $130. Up here it was $450. Even with the current exchange it was only $214. I could easily save $100 after paying shipping and duty. Its not so bad now, but its left me wary.

I would expect of myself to shop local, cause if I don't there will come a day when they might not be there.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I don't think that its is asking to much for the distributor to have things in stock that you need...Like I said in another thread...you can't expect for them to carry every little part..but key components should be mandatory for every machine that they work on...If a distributor is going to represent a manufacture..then they need to be able to back up the service...100%..no questions asked..and if they do not have the part...they had better have access to it in a timely manner...we can not afford for our machines to be sitting with down time....I also think that a manufactures that allows distributors to represent them should make it mandatory that they carry certain parts to be able to keep them running...it would be a win win for everybody involved....I would also expect there mechanic to have the proper training on machines and have the knowledge to be able to diagnose and repair problems that come up...not the hit and miss with new parts until you find the problem and you are getting charged each time until they get lucky...........it should also be the manufactures responsibility to offer training for mechanics on all new machines that come out....and continue to give up dated classes for new mechanics or any changes....
I would expect. you to carry the chemicals that I need..if your going to advertise them and tell me how great they are then damit...keep it on the shelf...consistency is the key...we also have to depend on that it is going to preform for use the same way every time e use it............I am not even going to get into the price...

we have to understand that we are not the only carpet cleaner out there and although we are in a hurry and want out stuff up and running we need to wait our turn and understand that other are there before us...

your going to get treated as you treat us and I am sure it goes both ways...business are built with trust more then money....build a good relation ship and the money will take care of its self.............

thats all I got.................

I agree with Jim. Although we are just over 3 hours away from our nearest distributor we really don't have a relationship except online. I would hope in the future distributors who represent tm makers would go through some type of training on the machines they sell. With a lot of tm's costing about as much as the vans themselves maybe they could be a little more like the auto industry when it comes to warrantee work.

I have had a few small issues with my 2014 chevy that my Pro 1200 is in. I took it to the nearest Chevy dealer. They didn't ask to see proof of purchase, they treated us very professionally, apologized for the inconvenience and told me they would get me on my way as soon as possible. I had the same experience with another Chevy dealer when the one close to me was booked up for 3 days and went to one one across town even though I didn't buy the van at either one.

Some distributors will treat you like a redheaded step child when you try to get service from them when you didn't buy it there. I felt it wasn't right that nothing was going to be done until I could prove I bought the machine. I had to call and get the paper work faxed from the seller before a part could be ordered. I also found it strange that when I brought the machine to get service one of the first things the service guy says to me is " Oh cool you have a Pro 1200. we haven't seen one of those yet, I can't wait to see what they look like." Really ? Now they did do a good job fixing it and I'm sure that when you work on TM's a lot of stuff is the same. A blower is a blower, a pump is a pump I get that but what about having some back ground on the different models in case there some not so common things that they need to know about. Just my thought. Talk amongst yourselves.
( here's your cue Mike to step in and bad mouth me some more)

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I told you why from the last time when i had the no heat issue and I went there. He started it, looked at for a few minutes, never checked any key components and said my problem was that the blower needs to get hotter so the machine can produce heat. Told me to get a block of wood and cover the van slot for 15 minutes before cleaning and said it's good to go and sent me on my way. I thought a 6 hour drive was worth more that that. To his defense it was the first time he had ever seen a 1200 also so how was he supposed to figure it out. I know he's the industry rock star for fixing machines and I'm sure thats so and I also thought he was a nice guy but Like I said before I just thought more could have been done then and a lot of drama could have been avoided.

Reactions: KevinL

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Some distributors will treat you like a redheaded step child when you try to get service from them when you didn't buy it there.

More like most(at least the large ones)... We had a issue under warranty, because we didn't buy the machine at our closest disty they wanted me to pay for the repairs/bill(OUCH) up front and get reimbursed later by the manufacture.

Told me to get a block of wood and cover the van slot for 15 minutes before cleaning and said it's good to go and sent me on my way.

22k and it won't heat up unless you have a 60 cent piece of wood AND 15 minutes.... I would have instantly considered talking w/him as pointless after that. Waste of time... No help what so ever.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I'm 3 hours away from jondon in chicago or st. louis. I buy Citrol( the best citrus juice I've ever tried) from a local janitorial dist. I've tried talking him into carrying blocks and tabs and other essentials that he could resell to the other 45 or so cleaners in the area but he just isn't interested. He keeps running out of Citrol so I called the manufacturer to see who else carries it and they gave me a place 50 miles away who delivered it to me free, (the salesman comes over here about once a week) and charged only $21 a gallon compared to the other place charging $58 a gallon. So yes, it does pay to shop around.

Back
Top Bottom