Quit My day Job...

EDS

Name
Ed
So to make a long story short I quit my day job at the beginning of September to focus on carpet cleaning. I had a decent paying job in the marine industry (75k a year) for a job that I was on a four on four off rotation. I was a supervisor of oil transfer operations. It paid decently but it was very challenging to focus on my carpet cleaning business. Especially when I was at the last monument to go to work or when delays occurred.

My carpet cleaning company is three years old. I took this other job a year and a half ago. Carpet cleaning was going good but only made 60-70k a year and was actually only working maybe 15-20 hours a week max. I like to work and like to be occupied. Last year I worked 340 days. Mind you not all days where 8 hour shifts.

Anyhow, shit came to a boil this year when I let my wife start answering the phone in July. After a month she was amazed at how much business we were turning away. We talked and I decided to give up my position in the company to focus full time on carpet cleaning. For me it was difficult to give up on security of income (employed with good pension) to focus on carpet cleaning.

Anyhow, I know it is too early to tell but this has been my best month ever. Almost 14000 in sales this month. When I was working both jobs it would be challenging to bring in 5-6 in carpet cleaning. My take home from the other job was only 4400 after taxes. It was very difficult working both jobs to earn a fraction of what I have earn this month.

In January this year when I was forced to take three week vacation I had my second largest month year to date at 8g. This should have been an indicator to his that we were ready to focus solely on carpet cleaning.

The funny thing is that I have had more time off this month than ever before. I actually had two days last week where I did not work!

Anyhow, expect more of me here now...

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Congrats on the leap of faith. Sounds like you will do just fine based on what you havw said.

You won't regret leaving that job behind.

Reactions: EDS

EDS

Name
Ed
Up here it does not slow down that much during winter. We have rain up here rather than snow. It will slow down but I don't think by that much ( I hope)

As well, I have never advertised. I plan to start advertising campaign this fall/winter.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
"This dude must not be in the North"

That's the first thing that popped into my head when i read the fact that you quit so late in the "season" as Sept., along with your history of having a huge January.

Surprised to see your SOooo foooking North.

EDS

Name
Ed
I'm in Vancouver Canada...your equivalent of Seattle Washington. Who is Bill Parsons? (googling as we speak)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
congrats, Ed

That's a huge move.
But if you're doing those kinds of numbers in year three with no advertising, you must be a likable guy that does decent work .
(believe it or not, it's MORE important people like and trust you than doing sOOper fantAstic cleaning )

add the "like to work" part you mentioned, and your wife willing to be part of the biz (answering phones/scheduling jobs) and i say your future is bright

One suggestion.....don't wait too long to get a plan in place for the van to run in case you get hurt/injured .
I found that out the extremely hard way two years into leaving my "real" job and going full time

..L.T.A.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
Good luck, When I went full time back in the early 90's it was easy because I was making 10 bucks an hour. but if you made 14k it is hard to argue with that.

EDS

Name
Ed
congrats, Ed

That's a huge move.
But if you're doing those kinds of numbers in year three with no advertising, you must be a likable guy that does decent work .
(believe it or not, it's MORE important people like and trust you than doing sOOper fantAstic cleaning )

add the "like to work" part you mentioned, and your wife willing to be part of the biz (answering phones/scheduling jobs) and i say your future is bright

One suggestion.....don't wait too long to get a plan in place for the van to run in case you get hurt/injured .
I found that out the extremely hard way two years into leaving my "real" job and going full time

..L.T.A.
Working hard to build quality reputation. Currently have 22 5 star Google reviews. Just got two 5 star reviews today. Both were repeat customers who I was able to persuade to leave a review of services. One was a avid yelper who I said forget about yelp since they always filter my reviews.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Working hard to build quality reputation. Currently have 22 5 star Google reviews. Just got two 5 star reviews today. Both were repeat customers who I was able to persuade to leave a review of services. One was a avid yelper who I said forget about yelp since they always filter my reviews.

I could be wrong but if my understanding of how yelp works is accurate then someone who is an "avid" yelper is not likely to have their review filtered.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom