Redneck drying tower

Chris A

Name
Chris
I needed a better drying system than the old fixed rack setup I had for drying rugs. As much as I like spending money there was no way I could spend the 3-5k or more on a pro setup with the volume of rugs that I currently do. I was able to put this rack together in about 8 hours and $400. I've been doing pullups (like one) on the poles to test the strength but we will have to see how it holds up when loaded.

d62637e369bbb34ddee104027b210608.jpg

57132e21bff3f8af20e1fb3522e5713d.jpg

6f813770a0df46e65a164d6a534fac38.jpg

c6983089a04f18ce39d592eab7b28320.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
It's more rigid than I thought it would be but I think braces may be something I add even if just to be thorough

Name
BradFenstermaker
2nd corner brace. You will be pulling and swinging while other rugs hang.

Better safe than sorry.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The hooks are rated for 200 lbs. I figure with the pulleys distributing the weight it should be good. Otherwise look for me on the news!

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
It looks like the 2 x 4s will be holding the rugs up. If that is the case they will warp and sag.

Chris A

Name
Chris
The poles are 2x4s. The rest are 2x6s. My other rack has lasted years without the 2x4s warping but then again I don't clean a lot of heavy Chineses etc mostly karastan type quality

Name
Ralph Pastorelli
Mine are the same way with the 2x4 with pvc around them but our pulleys are through the I-beams in the ceiling and bolted there.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I had some homemade wood racks for awhile. They work but but kinda of shake. Take a few pic's of the "Red and Blue" racks that sell for about $4000 and take them to a local welder with your spec's and get it done for $1000. I had them put wheels on mine as well.

Attachments

• rug rack.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 202

BCUC

Name
Kevin Ivers
Looks good but I would recommend using dado joints on those top boards. With the way it is all the weight is being put on those screws. A dado cut like I am talking about would shift the weight to the 4x4 uprights. Just my .02 cents. Either way, that setup beats dropping 4k until your running enough volume. Nice Work!

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Agree with Richard - use hooks that go all the way through with nuts. The 200 lb rating may be optimistic - in a damp environment and as the wood ages....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Your weak points are the eye hook screws pulling out of the wood and those open eye hooks bending and breaking right where they meet the wood. Just don't work under the pole you're lifting.

Chris A

Name
Chris
After the first real use I can see those bottom hooks that I'm winching off of aren't going to work. I'm going to find something I can through bolt there and while I'm at it I will probably do the same with the ones up top as well just to be safe.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We are using one inch galvanized pipe that comes in 10 foot length and put the end caps on it.

You could probably wrap your cable around then ends of the pipe like we have our rope.

Been doing this for a number of years.

We also run those pipes and hangers in 4 different areas in our shop.

They fit right in between our shop door rails.

Here are a few pics I found this morning in my photobucket.

2014-10-25081519_zps7d7f822a.jpg

2014-10-25081426_zpsb118dcf4.jpg

I have other hanging units like this in the front of the shop coming down from the ceiling too.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Chris, You can go through the 2x6 the 2" way, with large fender washers on each side. You'll minimize how much wood you're going to drill away and have a stronger overall structure. Use a heavy closed loop eye bolt and attach the pulley using 'S' hooks. That way if anything fails it will be the cheap and easy to replace 'S'.

eye_bolt_230x170.jpg

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
That looks like a safety disaster. There is no sheer support. Rigging is under sized. Be careful. If it is 10 feet tall you can still get hurt 9 feet away.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Lol when did lifting 1-200lb wet rugs become such a safety concern? If I were doing nothing but 9x12 Chineses I'd buy a better rack. This is Ohio lol

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Lol when did lifting 1-200lb wet rugs become such a safety concern? l

When 5 of 'em equal 1000 pounds ???
That 2x6 is carrying more load than it should for that great of a span . (assuming max possible weight)
a center post on each side would fix that.
or double the load bearing 2x6s (one on each side of post) and bolted like a deck beam...
and if you did that, it would allow you to use hanging hardware to easily move the racks fore or aft instead of being fixed stationary (maybe)..not sure how wench system works)

if you're screwed to the back wall, that would be good to keep the front to rear sway.
left to right sway out front is questionable though.
couple 45 degree cross supports would help greatly

implement the above reinforcement suggestions and I'll issue an official redneck certified "oakie doakie" seal of approval

I'm just goofing off this weekend ..would love to come over to help you make it rock solid...wouldn't cost much at all in additional materials..and would be "lifetime" solid when we're done

..L.T.A.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thanks for the offer Larry, I'm up to my ears in family stuff this weekend so I doubt I'll be able to do anything with it. I'll add another 4x4 to the to do list when I replace the hooks with eye bolts. I'll let you know when I do though and I'd buy you a couple frescas for your troubles :)

Reactions: Mark Saiger
Back
Top Bottom