"Retro Vans" whats your choice?

Mikey P

Administrator
When it comes to the Ford Econoline and Cheve Express/Savanna

What is your personal experience when NOT running a CDS unit?

no speculation or "my buddy's lasted forevers" please...

I'm interested in your fuel consumption as well..

Last edited:

Mike Draper

this has been my favorite van. last forever and i get many compliments.
image.jpg

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I'm debating on what to do. Buy a new Ford Transit - $34K or so, or buy an older Ford/Chevy van that goes for $12K with shelving. The Transit would be really nice, I could have plenty of space for EVERYTHING (including my golf clubs) and I could stand straight up in it, which as I get older sounds way better than crawling into something or being hunched over every time I get into the back.

I'd probably get way better gas mileage with the Transit but the savings of $20K+ would buy a whole lotta gas.

Another thing that I'm tossing around in my brain that might influence the decision is that when I want I could quickly pull out the equipment and use as a travel camper when we want.

That didn't answer your question at all did it Mike.:errf:

Name
BradFenstermaker
I have owned Dodge Ford Chevy. If maintained they all are good. Think 1 Ton is a must as well as extended.
If given a choice I wood choose Chevy in old style van.
Brand new wood be the Ford Transit.
Those Hi top models are Ssswwweeett!

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Both the Chevy and the fords are good. It does come down to if you got a "good" one.

We have both express's and econos with 350000 plus miles. So I can't say one is better than the other.

The Chevys tend to have tranny and serious fuel pump issues as well as having the front end paint coming off.

The fords have ball joint and tie rod issues as well as have a few tranny issues and do not get as good fuel consumption as the Chevys.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Chevy handles better in tight spots and is just more responsive going down the road. It took a while to get used to the boat like feel of my Ford.

Ford looks beefier and sits higher. I've had great reliability with both. I'd have a very tough time choosing. Both are great work vans.

These are both the shorter vans I'm talking about.

Reactions: Art Kelley

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
For us the extended ford econoline is much easier to drive around as it has the shorter wheel base and the Chevy extended has the longer wheel base.

Last edited:
Name
Damon
Have you checked out the Pro Master? This is what I'm leaning towards. I also looked at a 2014 Transit Connect, but being stuck in Ram C/V now makes me want something bigger - though I may never need it.

I'm debating on what to do. Buy a new Ford Transit - $34K or so, or buy an older Ford/Chevy van that goes for $12K with shelving. The Transit would be really nice, I could have plenty of space for EVERYTHING (including my golf clubs) and I could stand straight up in it, which as I get older sounds way better than crawling into something or being hunched over every time I get into the back.

I'd probably get way better gas mileage with the Transit but the savings of $20K+ would buy a whole lotta gas.

Another thing that I'm tossing around in my brain that might influence the decision is that when I want I could quickly pull out the equipment and use as a travel camper when we want.

That didn't answer your question at all did it Mike.:errf:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Chevy has a better ride
Uses micky mouse tin-willy hardware (door, hood lathes, etc)

Ford Triton engine gets better gas mileage (I get 18 mpg loaded @ 70MPH hiway)
tires need rotated religiously

both good trucks
Ford is a better truck over all
yes a van is a truck you meatballs

..L.T.A

Reactions: SCC and Bob Savage

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
to add....since you're just hauling a porty, cimex and shake 'n shine machine, you don't need or want a 1 ton.
the late model Ford 1/2 tons are 8450 GVW...that's enough for even a small/mid size slide-in for when you get tired of running that porty

..L.T.A.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I've run both, and while I prefer GM, it's mostly preference.

One thing I will say is that the 3/4 tons are not in any way equal in my experience. A GM 2500 seems way WAAAY more heavy duty than a Ford 250.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Purchased the Chevy cutaway with Spartan box gas mileage sucks at 10-12 but carry a 250 gal fresh tank and the heavy Everst. 60k miles and one little throttle sensor issue that was fixed under warranty. But, I have always been a Chevy man

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
to add....since you're just hauling a porty, cimex and shake 'n shine machine, you don't need or want a 1 ton.
the late model Ford 1/2 tons are 8450 GVW...that's enough for even a small/mid size slide-in for when you get tired of running that porty

..L.T.A.
yor Prius works purty good don't it Larr

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I have had both and the Chevy drives a little better, but I think the Ford is a little tougher. My biggest problem with Chevy is they can NOT paint a van to save their life. I have 3 Chevy vans all different years and everyone has paint missing.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have a Ford E-250 with a straight 6 -300 CID motor approaching 250,000 miles, and have owned 3 other Ford vans and 2 Chevy vans.

The E-250 gets my vote.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom