Some area rug prepping for cleaning today

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Could hide a small child in these dang thick areas rugs....

Did some Badger Cub work today....

Cub fits our shop size and production best (Would have rather had Blue and supported that team if they would have that size)

Did some rug dusting as well (actually the air badger is a pet groomers drying unit....could blow the dog right off a table :eekk: )

Just some of the prep work before doing the wet clean, groom and drying.....

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
IMHO--- wouldn't it be better to Vacuum from the face of the rug And Blow from the back of the rug.? I think you are blowing the particulates deeper into the knots/base of rug when you blow from the face...
I recommend Vacuuming the front. Badgering or blowing from the back or just vacuum the back if you don't have badger or blower. Then Vacuum the face again to get the stuff that didn't fall through the grate.

Oh and wear a mask when blowing.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
IMHO--- wouldn't it be better to Vacuum from the face of the rug And Blow from the back of the rug.? I think you are blowing the particulates deeper into the knots/base of rug when you blow from the face...
I recommend Vacuuming the front. Badgering or blowing from the back or just vacuum the back if you don't have badger or blower. Then Vacuum the face again to get the stuff that didn't fall through the grate.

Oh and wear a mask when blowing.

Yep....did all the above mentioned before the video on the thick rug and then actually hung the rug up and did more blowing.

Even used a grandi groomer rake head to help separate fibers and junk while hanging.....

The rug was actually vacuumed both sides on the grate before the dusting and then dusted with badger, then again vacuumed.

These rugs just hold a ton of debris.

This video doesn't show all the steps we were doing, just a sample of some of the tools we were using.

Reactions: Papa John
Name
BradFenstermaker
Ha Ha! Mark I saw the air badger in a Vegas rug shop while out there.
Couple weeks ago I get a NASTY dusty rug.. Vacuumed til passed out front and back..

Tried shop vac with TM vac hose on exhaust side. Just wasnt enough. SO, I grab the gas Echo leaf blower. 2in vac cuff slides on the tube perfectly.

So get the wife to hold cuff on leaf blower, lock throttle wide open and start air dusting. AMAZING!
I had enough dirt for a ball field.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I grab the gas Echo leaf blower. 2in vac cuff slides on the tube perfectly.

So get the wife to hold cuff on leaf blower, lock throttle wide open and start air dusting. AMAZING!
I had enough dirt for a ball field.

Wow What a Great Idea! I cant wait to try this!---- Thanks Big time for the info!

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Or you can get one of these. These are awesome and have a lot of uses.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-MB3CD-Blaster-Motorcycle/dp/B0002SPCGC

Thanks It would be nice if the site would disclose the air speed and cfm to make it easier to compare to other blowers

Site said 58,500 ft/min air flow-- I don't think that's in CFM-- if it were then might be fun to strap 2 together and to my back and make a "Jet-Pack"--oh wait- not fun when the cord get pulled out.. lol

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Here is the link to the unit

Actually, I paid about the same amount from the Dusty guy....

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Force_Twin_turbo_TT-2X4/overview

The thing is a dual stage so you can use one side or two sides of the unit. Separate switches for each side.

If dusting, just be venting or doing outside....

In the video, you cannot see that we had a door open and an air mover moving the air and dust out....

Didn't make the video showing all steps, protective gear....all nine yards....

But anyway, many ways to be able to dust rugs now days for us small rug shop guys....

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
I'm no scientist but the I think the left blower will be more powerful because they spec at about 245 MPH air flow. the dog dyer is has an air speed of 61,000 fpm. and a mile is 5280 feet. which I think gives it a wind speed of 11.55 mpr ??? That cant be right-- can anyone help me on this?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm no scientist but the I think the left blower will be more powerful because they spec at about 245 MPH air flow. the dog dyer is has an air speed of 61,000 fpm. and a mile is 5280 feet. which I think gives it a wind speed of 11.55 mpr ??? That cant be right-- can anyone help me on this?

We use both blowers on at the same time....

Swear it would blow a small pooch off the table if not careful.....LOL!

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

245 CFM is the volume of air in cubic feet per minute. 61,000 FPM is the speed in feet per minute. This equals 11.55 miles per MINUTE or almost 700 miles per hour. I have a some trouble believing that speed, but it could be possible through a small nozzle right at the front of the fan.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lockhart showed Dan that blower he uses to dry his Vett on one of his visits here.

Then Dan bought one for dust down type cleaning. We've never used it on rugs but it is pretty powerful.

I agree with a mask, an N-95 would be sufficient enough to keep you from breathing in small particles.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Both of the units (the one mark posted and the one I posted in the link and both are made by the same company) but the units are setup with the vac discharge setup different marks are parallel and the unit I posted they are setup in series. (Or vice versa)

I can't speak for the setup mark posted but the one in my link is a very well made sturdy unit the will literally blow your socks off!

I can't repeat myself enough on how versitle these units are.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I bet you could do a similar job with a couple 3-stage vac motors and a little plumbing - wouldn't be as pretty though....

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
245 CFM is the volume of air in cubic feet per minute. 61,000 FPM is the speed in feet per minute. This equals 11.55 miles per MINUTE or almost 700 miles per hour. I have a some trouble believing that speed, but it could be possible through a small nozzle right at the front of the fan.

I bet you could do a similar job with a couple 3-stage vac motors and a little plumbing - wouldn't be as pretty though....

Thanks Scott for the info. Now the question is will I spend about $80 on an electric left blower or $300 dog/car dryer? knowing me I'll probably end up doing both.

Or do I modify Dan's idea and hook up hoses to the Exhaust of my Mytee M5?-- While one person is cleaning a rug w M5 the other person could be "Dusting" another Rug. Might be cool but kinda hackish.?.

I love Posts where I can learn something- Thanks to all who helped

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
You wouldn't want to dust and extract at the same time - the outlet cfm is significantly reduced when a hose/tool is hooked up to the inlet. You would need to eliminate the inlet restriction by removing the waste tank lid to achieve the velocities you want to dust with.....

And you would want to combine the two exhausts (I believe the M5 has separate exhaust for each vac).

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
You wouldn't want to dust and extract at the same time - the outlet cfm is significantly reduced when a hose/tool is hooked up to the inlet. You would need to eliminate the inlet restriction by removing the waste tank lid to achieve the velocities you want to dust with.....

And you would want to combine the two exhausts (I believe the M5 has separate exhaust for each vac).

I don't think ill go the "jerry-rig" route. The air from the mytee would also be moist. The dog dryer is nice cause it also has Heat-- so might use it a few minutes on rugs after cleaning to help dry faster-- until I have space for a rug centrifuge.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
That makes sense. But I don't think the dog dryer has heat - just warm air from the fans:

Dryer.jpg

Papa John

Name
John Stewart

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
That one doesn't have a heater either - the two "temperatures" are just whether you have one or two fans running:

dryer1.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom