Spotting machines - how often do you use it?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Not having to use the truckmount on a -10 day in February makes a spotting machine seem necessary.

Those that have one, how often does it get used? How well does it work? Are these things so weak it's pointless? Just for spotting, anything else?

Most of these machines are 500-700 bucks, might take years to get my money out of it(I truly hope I never have to use it!). BUT it sure would have helped last week(-10) on a 2'x 2' spot call :hopeless:....

Able 1

Name
Keith
I had one I think I won here.. Sat for two years then I sold it..

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Mine is getting plenty of use since I got my new puppy. I'm going to start using it for those customers that call 9 days later about a spot. Of course they are trying to get a mess that was made after we cleaned done. I have a few customers that call us back every time trying to get free cleaning. Yet they call us back every year.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
:confusedd:Regularly.

I do warranty work for a national fabric protection supplier.

The furniture stores apply the protector when an item is sold.

When a problem arises, I am notified by email, I contact the customer & fix the problem with my little spotter.

I also use it in conjunction with specialized stain removal.

I never used a sledge hammer to put thumb tacks in.

:biggrin:

Reactions: Mikey P and jcooper
Name
Nate W.
Quite a bit... We have 3 spotters and 2 gets used regularly.... Good for showing a residue problem due to in-house maintenance....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Rarely get used, we have had this one for years. I'd like to get a newer bigger one but we put a new pump and vac in it a couple of years ago so, no new one for a while.

Lame power (I piss harder), vac is ok and recover size is decent. Its not a portable and you are limited on what you can do with it but when it truly is "just a spot" its the right tool for it.

You gota have one, it will save you on the cold days you mentioned. Even with the weak power, its nice to be able to rinse a spot out.

Reactions: jcooper

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
All the time for office furniture and panels. Dont need a TM for that stuff....

We have 2 pos private label for $300 something. Gawd probably seen 100xs back in revenue, never thought about it.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
We use one three or four times a year. Plus I have an older couple who spill coffee and only want the spot cleaned That has been 4 years now and they continue to spot clean.

Buck1955

Name
John
I use mine in spurts. It is great when you need to spot 200' from the truck, or your in a high rise. If mine broke, I'd replace it.

Name
Nate W.
http://janitorialsuperstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=688

Anybody ever have one like this? Not many details from ad, how much you think this holds? 2-3 gallons?

http://www.unoclean.com/SAN-50-1000-Spot-Xtract.aspx
Looks pretty similar to one of the spotters we have... 3 gallons, 1-3stage vac.... Mine has an extendable handle with the roller blade wheels on the back for the lazy and old farts who don't like to carry it... (present company included)

I would get one with a 3 stage vacuum...

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
This is the one I have.

Better PSI and lift and will heat the water....but we just take the hot water from our Truckmount when most cases.

http://www.autogeek.net/durrmaid-super-1600-extractor.html

Specifications for Super-1600:
  • Heater: 1500 Watts
  • Temperature: 200 Degrees
  • Solution Tank: 2.1 Gallons
  • Recovery Tank: 2.4 Gallons
  • Water Pump: 200 psi
  • Weight of Extractor: 21 pounds
  • Solution Hose: 12 ft. x 3/16"
  • See Through, Lexan Carpet/Upholstery Tool (Auto Detail Tool)
  • Quick Change Spray Tips & Vacuum Slide Reducer
  • Vacuum Hose: Commercial Grade, 12 ft. x 1¼"
  • Temperature Detection: Lighted Indicator
  • Temperature Regulation: Automatic Thermostat
  • Power Requirements: 14 amps
  • Dimensions: 17" x 18" x 13"
  • Casters: (3) 2" Swivel
  • Warranty: Housing/5 years, Mechanical & Electrical/1 year Limited

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I use my mytee lite 2 fairly often. It's 3 gallons with heat so I could use it for upholstery as well as spots. It is a must for my biz as we have 2 janitorial companies that are constantly needing spots removed in skyscrapers. I like 3 gallons because it's still small and easy to transport.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
It's 3 gallons with heat so I could use it for upholstery as well as spots.

John, can I clean a "lightly soiled" lazy boy with 3 gallons?

Even if I have to fill it up twice for small upholstery, it's still better than setting up the tm.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
It has 100 psi and heat if needed. You can clean a couch with 3 gallons depending on the number of cushions. I only use an upholstery tool with it so I will only clean spots on carpet with it, never a large area.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
John, can I clean a "lightly soiled" lazy boy with 3 gallons?

Even if I have to fill it up twice for small upholstery, it's still better than setting up the tm.

I have cleaned several Lazy Boy and other recliners and a few sofas with 3 gallon spotting machine.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I agree with what both Scott and John have said regarding using this type of machine for upholstery cleaning.

You should be aware of a couple of issues though:

1. The tool jet size allows for water flow that is meant to flush spotting agent residues out of carpet. That means the tool will over wet delicate natural fiber fabrics unless you hold the tool back and use a "mist and vacuum" technique. Synthetic fiber fabrics like the aforementioned Lazy Boy pieces would not be a problem.

2. Many upholstery preconditioning agents create a great deal of foam in the recovery tank. Our service department does a brisk business in replacing vacuum motors on spotting units that are damaged by foam and water overflow. Be SURE to use a defoamer in your recovery tank and keep an eye on its level. The floats that shut off the vacuum when the tank is full do NOT float in foam.

If you keep those issues in mind, you will probably be fine using a spotting machine on upholstery.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
http://www.soteco.info/california-p-8.html

These are our preference - very light as body is s/steel. Our territory has quite a number of dwellings that are only accessible by small cable cars or many steps.
We change the fittings to standard Parker type and put a 100 psi Flojet in.
In daily use for spotting, upholstery and with squeegee vac recovery of waste when doing hard floor

roro

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
http://www.soteco.info/california-p-8.html

These are our preference - very light as body is s/steel. Our territory has quite a number of dwellings that are only accessible by small cable cars or many steps.
We change the fittings to standard Parker type and put a 100 psi Flojet in.
In daily use for spotting, upholstery and with squeegee vac recovery of waste when doing hard floor

roro

I have the same machine but it's labelled the Clarke Alto.
I also changed the fittings including the vacuum hose hook-up by inserting & glueing, a piece of pvc pipe into the fitting so that a standard inch & a half vac; hose will fit on.

Many auto detailing shops use them here.
I believe they were also marketed under the California label by another firm, can't remember who.
:yoda:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
There is a brand new 3 Gal. model with or without heat that is a good design . . .

Uses a 5.7" vac motor for better suction and a 120 PSI pump system . . .

Our customers use for spotting and pre-cleaning demos . . .

Heater systems have stainless wand . . .

SpotterM[1].png

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...sult&search_in_description=1&keyword=mosquito

Last edited:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I still have one of the originals.

Stuck it on a small board with wheels, so it's wheelie good now.

& yes, it does have it's own draw string bag for the tool.

I also had a switch installed so the vac; motor & pump are on separate circuits.

Find it hard to chuck things when they're still working fine.

20150214_150028_zps3c670b94.jpg

:yoda:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom