Steam Action

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I see they have some new vacuum booster that was at the big show. Anyone see it or know what it is?

He has some huge machines. I have never seen a water cooled blower. Do they really work better or is this another hype thing?
The machines look well built but I wonder if they hold heat or is it another 230 at 4 flow.

I like my propane heat, so far the ss570 &870 is the only HE machine that I seen that holds heat at high flow except for the big trucks.

Name
Marcus
Propane or kero heat will always get better heat than heat exchangers no mater how big the engine.
If you use a zipper orrx20 and do continual cleaning wo triggering u will see the difference
However these steamaction machines are made well.

Name
Marcus
I believe copper is on propane
Stainless steal is in kero heaters as they are made for pressure washers to handle 4000 psi

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Johns welding isn't the greatest. My friends machine ,which he traded for the 454ss, heat exchanger kept breaking. John would ship out a new one and he would ship back the broken one. They look very garage built I expect better quality for the price.

Gene

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I guess that explains why he's not big time after all these years. I was looking at that vac booster or filter thing in clean fax. Can't figure out what it is or how it works.
Maybe he should build the machine and contract with johns HE. Then we know it would it would last. That cat motor will last longer than most cleaners careers. Good idea but with some more dependable HE design I think it would be a beast. That diesel has lots of heat to offer from the oil, antifreeze & exhaust.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You can call a product whatever you want, it doesn't mean that it will do what you name it.

All that thing is, is a very good filter that has as little flow restriction as possible for a prochem style filter basket.

A good design with what I belive to be the best filter/strainer basket on the market to date, but still just a filter strainer, nothing accelerating about it.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So what about the water cooled blower? I thought you wanted to keep the water out of the blower and silencers. Would this speed up the process of needing a new silencers and blower?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
So what about the water cooled blower? I thought you wanted to keep the water out of the blower and silencers. Would this speed up the process of needing a new silencers and blower?
You definitely want to keep waste tank water (full of chems, dirt, and who knows what else) from overflowing the tank and being sucked through the blower. The typical water-cooled blower injects a very fine mist of clean water that pretty much instantly vaporizes. The heat of vaporization cools the blower. If done right, there really isn't much (if any) liquid water present in the blower discharge.

Most blowers (at the cfm we would run) won't operate past about 16"hg without some form of cooling, as that much pressure differential produces discharge temperatures beyond the manufacturer's limit.

Mike Draper

Yup - in fact water-injection was used on early radial-engined aircraft superchargers to obtain maximum boost during takeoff - before I was born!

Thast was during bobs era. He should know all about that. Or maybe his time was the wright brothers?

Reactions: dgardner

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So if your trying to get heat from the blower and then cooling it. With that big blower you would think there is no need to run it at that high of HG.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
I think the rare watercooled version was the pro1800?
or I could be completely crazy. At least im in the right place for that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You are probably right. I don't know White Magic machines, I didn't know they had more than one cds/pto.
Yes you are probably crazy. It rubs off from being here! ; )

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
So if your trying to get heat from the blower and then cooling it. With that big blower you would think there is no need to run it at that high of HG.
Louis, all other things being equal, the higher the vacuum at the machine (Hg) the more flow you can achieve at the wand.

And - it might seem counter-intuitive to cool the blower if you're trying to use the discharge heat, but every blower has a temperature limit. Above that you start to cook the oil, and the clearances get out of whack due to expansion. You want enough heat to be useful to the HX, but not so much you severely shorten the life of the blower.

Take a 68 blower turning at 1600 rpm for instance. At 14" Hg there will be about 175 degrees rise, so if the incoming air is 60 deg the blower discharge will be 235. At 16" Hg the temperature rise goes from 175 to 240, so our discharge is approaching 300 degrees! At 18" Hg the temp would be so high it would start to really cause problems.

This is why TM's that use HX's tell you to cover the inlet (producing maximum Hg) to warm up the HX for cleaning.

Reactions: dealtimeman
J

JS41035

The WM Pro1200hv had a water cooled blower. I'd love to have the PDF file for that unit to see how it worked

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Makes sense. Do they use a small portable pump to inject the water?
I don't know, really. The exact method isn't mentioned in the video. If it were me, I would certainly take advantage of the solution pump that's already there - the volume of water needed is small and wouldn't impact the huge pump the unit comes with.

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
I checked out the steam action web site. Looks like they have a few machines under$10,000. The specs appear to have what it takes to be a good machine. No flash or extras just a straight forward machine. I have never heard of anyone talk about those machines. Just curious if anyone has and history with those machines

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I remember seeing one on Ebay I think last year that you needed a very large box truck to put it into, i think it had the monster 90 blower in it.

Name
Ralph Pastorelli
A carpet cleaner in my city has a older Steam Action Nike that is about 10 to 12 years old and still running every day and yes his business is called STEAM ACTION

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
What are you using Gene ?
Sutorbilt 5m blower DSL. 2nd blower. The original ones bearing seal came off and the grease would no longer go into the bearing so I just replaced it. I hated the greasy mess anyway. Ran it the same. I believe that happened around 6k.

Gene

Back
Top Bottom