Steam Punk 407

Mike Draper

It's finally done. Been running this unit for 2 weeks and have 70 hours on it. Runs strong and smooth as can be. For many years I've been wanting to build my own rig. About 6 years ago I was talking with Olsen about taking my butler apart and reinstalling it on a box truck. Thank goodness he talked me out of it.
Fast forward six years and my knowledge of TM mechanics has grown immensely. last year my friend and MB lurker "Stan Wynhoff" finished his custom slide in. The guy is awesome at mechanics and no corners are cut on his rigs. After seeing his I felt motivated to finally build my own.
This project from my initial drawings to a running slide in took me 8 months. And of course in "Mike Draper" fashion I'm 8k over budget. :eekk: It's hard to estimate all the nooks and crannies of every part and all the time it takes for each individual part to be custom designed and fabricated. I had great help and design ideas from Les Jones. Thank you Les. You'll see many tank similarities on my unit that are the same proven fundamentals of a Judson.
At the end of this project, I'm super happy and will have a trouble free rig for many, many years. I purposely left this rig as simple and free of complex parts that wear out and cause trouble down the road.
I also couldn't have done it without the help of Jeremy and Vlad at Aero Tech. These guys went out if their way to make me some very custom parts for this rig. Thanks guys.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

rick imby

Name
Rick
I remember you talking about building it. Looks awesome.

Designed to the max. I would guess there are some little things that you designed that Les will add to his Judsons....

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
It's finally done. Been running this unit for 2 weeks and have 70 hours on it. Runs strong and smooth as can be. For many years I've been wanting to build my own rig. About 6 years ago I was talking with Olsen about taking my butler apart and reinstalling it on a box truck. Thank goodness he talked me out of it.
Fast forward six years and my knowledge of TM mechanics has grown immensely. last year my friend and MB lurker "Stan Wynhoff" finished his custom slide in. The guy is awesome at mechanics and no corners are cut on his rigs. After seeing his I felt motivated to finally build my own.
This project from my initial drawings to a running slide in took me 8 months. And of course in "Mike Draper" fashion I'm 8k over budget. :eekk: It's hard to estimate all the nooks and crannies of every part and all the time it takes for each individual part to be custom designed and fabricated. I had great help and design ideas from Les Jones. Thank you Les. You'll see many tank similarities on my unit that are the same proven fundamentals of a Judson.
At the end of this project, I'm super happy and will have a trouble free rig for many, many years. I purposely left this rig as simple and free of complex parts that wear out and cause trouble down the road.
I also couldn't have done it without the help of Jeremy and Vlad at Aero Tech. These guys went out if their way to make me some very custom parts for this rig. Thanks guys.
View attachment 6261 View attachment 6258 View attachment 6259 View attachment 6256 View attachment 6258

:rockon:

Mike Draper

no warranty, just my own 2 hands. no db readings. I honestly dont like this blower. Many people sad there would be almost no difference in DB's, including manufacturers from different blower companies going from a "grease dual lobe" to a tri lobe. Well there is. I am looking at a tuthill tri-lobe grease blower. Its an exact dulpicate in dimensions. I may sell this roots and buy that as a replacement. I wanted an ultra quiet machine, not a regular sounding machine. Not going to get into price, but I'm still less than an Apex.

Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

Mike Draper

acutally no. I absolutely love the stable heat from the little giant. If I lived in a warmer climate I would have gone that route. My propane is so cheap here, .64 a gallon last time I filled it'd be hard not to justify the great heat and performance abd low running cost it gives me. its just to cold here. I've run many different machines inthe winter and none give me the heat i want during the cold months

Mike Draper

I noticed to ditched that Paths for the Pods....

Happy with that decision?

Yes, just to much labor. I dry the high traffic areas now, but mostly just concentrate and spend more time on the cleaning aspect. Our dry times are great even wothout the fans.

Reactions: Total_Rookie

Mike Draper

Just to clarify something. When I say the cost is less than the Apex, That is material parts only. Includes no money for the coutless hours of time, energy and stress spent on this project. I honestly have no clue of the time it took because it was such an invloved process. I know some knucklehead will say I can do this for cheap and have a great slide in. Its not really that easy and imagine what would happen if you made a mistake somewhere along the lines? $20k+ down the drain. I would have been devastated and financially hurt if I hadnt made this work right the first time. To each his own though.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Looks great Mike, you should get a LOT of hours out of that engine!!

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
That is sweet...

Really love the laser cut gears all welded together make a front panel.

What is the max PSI?

What sealant did you use for all your pressure fittings? Looks like blue teflon tape

Mike Draper

Max psi? Not sure, aroun 1,500?. I'll never run it over 1000. The blue teflon tape is called Blue Monster I believe. Its the best stuff around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom