Strangest thing

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So the latest bait and switch cc in our area did a groupon. He sold a lot of them, like 8k worth. The description of his cleaning is something I would expect from a flower child cc in Mikey's hood. What do you think of his creative writing skills?

Like staring into a pond or reading the phone book, following muddy footsteps on the living-room carpet can help you find yourself. Clean up after this pivotal moment with this Groupon.
Choose from Three Options
  • $49 for carpet cleaning for three rooms (up to 700 square feet; a $109 value)
  • $59 for carpet cleaning for three rooms with a deodorizer treatment (up to 700 square feet; a $129 value)
  • $99 for carpet cleaning for five rooms with a deodorizer treatment (up to 1,200 square feet; a $220 value)
Professional technicians absolve carpets of dirt, stains, and allergens with a five-step process that tackles three rooms per hour.
Valley Pro Carpet Care
Valley Pro Carpet Care's experienced vacuum jockeys rejuvenate bedraggled carpets with a cleaning process that combs, sucks, shampoos, and rinses dirt out of even the thickest of shag. Cleaners meticulously work their way across each square foot, loosening embedded dirt and herding dust bunnies into high-powered vacuums. An extraction machine flushes fibers with eco-friendly cleaning agents before a tide of rinsing solution whisks away stains. Cleaners top off their service with a final grooming, which leaves rugs prim, proper, and free of dancers intent on cutting them to pieces

Chris A

Name
Chris
We did 3 rooms for $49 when we did it years ago, sold 300 something and ended up with quite a few great repeaters and we made our money on add ons, but still had quite a few pos not gonna spend another penny types

Able 1

Name
Keith
Groupon is the fastest way to the bottom!! I always laugh when I see them.. I have seen Groupon ruin alot of new companies reputation before they had a chance to gain one.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Groupon is the fastest way to the bottom!! I always laugh when I see them.. I have seen Groupon ruin alot of new companies reputation before they had a chance to gain one.

Yeah you have to be willing to do the exact same job for $49 that you would do for $129 or whatever, otherwise it's pointless. We couldn't do it now and keep up but if I wanted to get work fast it's still a decent option. You have to be a salesman to make any money because obviously you're not gonna make any money on the $26 you get from groupon

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I don't think I would ever do a groupon. This guy used part of my name so I always get his calls. Pulled up his groupon and I thought how could anybody take this guy seriously with that acid trip description of carpet cleaning.

Chris A

Name
Chris
and as usual the only guy here who did a groupon and is still in businesses' opinion doesn't matter

Able 1

Name
Keith
and as usual the only guy here who did a groupon and is still in businesses' opinion doesn't matter
Actually, I watched this play out! The year after you went to work by yourself, "to save money" (as you said)!! I'm not trying to start a fight, but you will never make more money working by yourself as you would with a helper. .;)

Last edited:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So how much is groupons cut? If it's 50% that's crazy. When I started the post it wasn't about the pricing. It was about the freaky description of his cleaning method. I guess this method works if you have a tm payment and no work.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Too old for that game. Survived a blood clot in the leg last summer. Makes you think about your time very differently after that.

Reactions: Mikey P

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'm not worked up
Actually, I watched this play out! The year after you went to work by yourself, "to save money" (as you said)!! I'm not trying to start a fight, but you will never make more money working by yourself as you would with a helper. .;)

Totally unrelated, I fired my helper in August 2012 due to his personal issues then didn't rehire before winter because I didn't want to carry someone through the winter. I've had 3 techs since then. My Gross/Net has increased every single year I've owned my business with the exception of 2012 (2011 was a wet year with LOTS of water work). That's why we did the Groupon/Living Social in late 2011 and early 2012 to keep busy and introduce ourselves to some new people. Now there's no way we could do an extra 2-300 jobs in a quarter so no I wouldn't do it again. Do I gotta go all Freddy Boyle and post a pic of my house, car, boats, wads of hundreds before you guys believe I might know what I'm talking about?

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris
It's cool, do it, don't do it, whatever. It helped my little business compete with the big boys in a decent sized metro (1,000,000) area, for not a lot of money. I'm not gonna Corky anybody about it but keeping an open mind never hurts...

Back
Top Bottom